What's Spinning Tonight?

2014 3 - time Grammy winning Daft Punk's Random Access Memories. Album of the year, best dance Electronica and best Engineered non-classical (Non other than Bob Ludwig). Excellent CD...
ram.jpg

Bob Dylan, "Tempest", Redbook.
Tempest.jpg

Bob, that's a pretty good album...but I think in the mfsl version that you show......somewhat of a disappointment; at least to me. I was hoping for a great sounding cd along with being able to enjoy the superb music. What do we get, well IMHO the music is sublime, but the recording just isn't that great in the SQ department. Thinking about this, why would it be?? The master tape, like the original master tape from Abraxas, just isn't that special from a SQ perspective. So, if it ain't there to begin with, no amount of jiggering by mfsl or others is going to change that! A pity, as I really like these Santana albums. Makes me question a little bit the thinking behind mobile fidelity releases...except for the profit motive, naturally :rolleyes:

Davey, some of the tunes are psychedelically moving from Caravanserai (1972), and I agree with you that the recording quality is inferior to what a true audiophile is after.
The CD (regular) is even worse. My old LP version was more transporting. We need a true master mixing engineer to redo this album in multichannel surround sound.

By the way, I was listening to it in 7.2-channel...DPLIIX Music.
...Low fidelity I completely agree with you, but on this particular one I was in mainly for the music memory, for the soul ride.
Twenty years from now, after we're dead, most of us, they might come up with a new remastering; it'll be worth it...for this very special Santana's album.
And who knows where Carlos will be by then ...

Bob, that's a pretty good album...but I think in the mfsl version that you show......somewhat of a disappointment; at least to me. I was hoping for a great sounding cd along with being able to enjoy the superb music. What do we get, well IMHO the music is sublime, but the recording just isn't that great in the SQ department. Thinking about this, why would it be?? The master tape, like the original master tape from Abraxas, just isn't that special from a SQ perspective. So, if it ain't there to begin with, no amount of jiggering by mfsl or others is going to change that! A pity, as I really like these Santana albums. Makes me question a little bit the thinking behind mobile fidelity releases...except for the profit motive, naturally :rolleyes:

None of Santana's catalogue was spectacular in terms of recording quality. I like quite a bit of their music, but I'm not enough of a fan to shell out big dollars for "audiophile" reissues.

None of Santana's catalogue was spectacular in terms of recording quality. I like quite a bit of their music, but I'm not enough of a fan to shell out big dollars for "audiophile" reissues.

John, I agree 100%! The music is great ( mostly) but the SQ--not so much. With all of the "audiophile" reissues that are on the market and coming to market, i question why companies like MFSL and AP etc, reissue what they do. It seems to me that in some ways these companies are simply trying to 'milk' the poor a'phile who is looking for better sound but doesn't know what the original tape sounds like. IMHO, there is NO way that you are going to get great sound on any reissue IF the original master tape was not exceptionally well recorded in the first place...no way. ( and how many of these master tapes were?? Rock seems to have the biggest problems, but other genre's as well ).

Davey, we're on the right forum...What'sBest. :b

Music, like life, is sometimes a compromise, between memories (nostalgia), and renewed aspirations/discoveries.
It is a fantastic reality. :cool:
____

* In the now (Red Book):

MI0003739795.jpg

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing