What's Spinning Tonight?

Inxs always sounded to me as coherent as Aussie accents after a night out with beer

Hey Ked, Inxs played as tight as a drum live. Saw them many times live at pubs in Sydney in my youth. Great band!!

Pity he got caught up with druggo Paula Yates and that Pommie no talent tosser pos Kok Geldof. together with their own shite, they killed Michael.

Reactions: bonzo75
Holy smokes. Last night I was exploring Roon on my new Innuous Zenith MkIII (that will be a separate post) and was stunned to find an album that just knocked me out. The name of the album is Djesse (Vol1) by some kid named Jacob Collier. To begin, he’s not just any kid. He’s 23 and he’s already won two Grammy’s, worked with Quincy Jones, Dr. Dre and the MIT Media Lab developing some of their hardware and software. I could tell you everything I learned about this guy but it’s better to read it here.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jacob_Collier

The album “Djesse”, released this past December, is his 3rd and will be part of a "Djesse" 4 CD set. Put simply, it is far and away the album of the year for me and although the year is young, I won’t be surprised if this kid is called up to the stage at the next Grammy’s.

To begin, the album is a sonic masterpiece. His 2016 album, In My Room, was mastered by Bernie Grundman and I don’t know who engineered or mastered this, but it is a sonic tour-de-force. I believe Collier, a Brit, plays 11 instruments but he works with a small group called the Metropole Orkest on this one. I won’t go into track details, but there are some genuine system busters here. If your gear can keep up with this recording, your system rocks. As far as the music, I’m just too dumbfounded to know where to begin. A recent review of his album captured it very well.

“I am having trouble putting into words how magnificent this music is. Very, very few humans two or three times Jacob's age could attempt to write/compose/record music of this caliber/depth/complexity/subtlety.”

The Roon tags for this album are extensive and span almost everything from Rock to Pop to Jazz to Vocal and should probably include “What the hell was that?”! Collier is obviously well-schooled musically and covers the waterfront from old-school R&B, Doo-Wop, to some very far "out there" stuff. It is a basically a musical work of art. I listened with my jaw open for most of the album and then listened to it immediately again. At 3 am, I called it a night. Although the music is mostly original, he has a few surprises of covers by Sting and Lionel Ritchie. He seems to have an affinity for Ritchie. One of his Grammy’s was for an arrangement of Ritchie’s “You and I”. The other was for an arrangement of the theme song from the TV show “Flintstones”. (You can’t make this stuff up!). On Djesse, he does two more Ritchie covers that will knock your socks off.

Don’t walk. RUN to buy this CD. Or stream it. It is spectacularly good.
Marty

Screen Shot 2019-03-21 at 10.15.37 AM.png

Last edited:
Glad to see you're enjoying your Innuos, and above all, Roon :)
This one's available in MQA as well, through Tidal. I heard this album when it was first released (it was featured prominently in Tidal's home page for a while), and somehow neglected to post about it here. It is indeed good and sounds great as well.

Isao Tomita - Snowflakes are Dancing / Pictures at an Exhibition
Magtec/Stereotape 7.5 IPS 4-track Dolby Stereo reel tape

Man this is some trippy-assed stuff!!! Amazing sound though.

1F0C4191-8FD8-4BC3-AFDA-617B9B86404B.jpeg

Reactions: Hi-FiGuy
Teenage Fanclub ?– Man-Made. wonderful 2014 merge records reissue

Reactions: assessor43
Oasis ?– Heathen Chemistry. original Big Brother 2002 UK pressing. Lacquer Cut @45rpm by – Miles Showell and pressed @ Damont. Probably Oasis's best sounding album and musically its a ripper.

Holy smokes. Last night I was exploring Roon on my new Innuous Zenith MkIII (that will be a separate post) and was stunned to find an album that just knocked me out. The name of the album is Djesse (Vol1) by some kid named Jacob Collier. To begin, he’s not just any kid. He’s 23 and he’s already won two Grammy’s, worked with Quincy Jones, Dr. Dre and the MIT Media Lab developing some of their hardware and software. I could tell you everything I learned about this guy but it’s better to read it here.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jacob_Collier

The album “Djesse”, released this past December, is his 3rd and will be part of a "Djesse" 4 CD set. Put simply, it is far and away the album of the year for me and although the year is young, I won’t be surprised if this kid is called up to the stage at the next Grammy’s.

To begin, the album is a sonic masterpiece. His 2016 album, In My Room, was mastered by Bernie Grundman and I don’t know who engineered or mastered this, but it is a sonic tour-de-force. I believe Collier, a Brit, plays 11 instruments but he works with a small group called the Metropole Orkest on this one. I won’t go into track details, but there are some genuine system busters here. If your gear can keep up with this recording, your system rocks. As far as the music, I’m just too dumbfounded to know where to begin. A recent review of his album captured it very well.

“I am having trouble putting into words how magnificent this music is. Very, very few humans two or three times Jacob's age could attempt to write/compose/record music of this caliber/depth/complexity/subtlety.”

The Roon tags for this album are extensive and span almost everything from Rock to Pop to Jazz to Vocal and should probably include “What the hell was that?”! Collier is obviously well-schooled musically and covers the waterfront from old-school R&B, Doo-Wop, to some very far "out there" stuff. It is a basically a musical work of art. I listened with my jaw open for most of the album and then listened to it immediately again. At 3 am, I called it a night. Although the music is mostly original, he has a few surprises of covers by Sting and Lionel Ritchie. He seems to have an affinity for Ritchie. One of his Grammy’s was for an arrangement of Ritchie’s “You and I”. The other was for an arrangement of the theme song from the TV show “Flintstones”. (You can’t make this stuff up!). On Djesse, he does two more Ritchie covers that will knock your socks off.

Don’t walk. RUN to buy this CD. Or stream it. It is spectacularly good.
Marty

View attachment 49762
Listened to this on Qobuz and its amazing! This will push any system to its limits in a good way, it certainly pissed of my headphones a couple times.
Excellent music well composed and recorded.

Lenny Kravitz ?– Lenny. original 2001 Euro pressing. easily my fav Lenny album and one of those albums where sides 3 & 4 are the best - great sound quality as well.

a Scott walker double shot. Scott Walker ?– Scott - first album from 1967 - Scott Walker + Sunn O))) ?– Soused - from 2014. an artist that was not afraid to explore completely different musical styles from teen idol ballads to drone metal. RIP - the sun ain't gonna shine anymore

Reactions: Skylab
Lenny Kravitz ?– Raise Vibration. new album and a lot better than I had expected - superb sound as well - mastered by Burnie Grundman. easily his best since his self tilted album in 2001. well done Lenny.

Ben Watt ?– Fever Dream. of Everything But the Girl fame, his last solo album from 2016. lovely folk blues album with damn fine guitar work.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing