What's the best power cord for the ARC REF5 SE?

Cascais

Nov 5, 2012
Portugal
Presently I'm breaking in a new REF5 SE and wondering what's the best power cord to use with this preamp. Two of the best reviews of the REF5 SE used the stock cord because ARC uses a 20 amp IEC connection with this unit rather than the normal 15 amp. I understand that Shunyata Research developed their new Etron line of power cords, particularly the Cobra, with the REF5 in mind, so wonder if anyone is using that combination? Any advice on any suitable 20 amp power cord would be welcome.

vess

Nov 4, 2012
Sofia, Bulgaria
www.audio-bg.com
Hi, I have tried a few power cords. With ARC preamps, power amps and 5SE in particular. The best for me is K-S Elation.

Vess

microstrip

VIP/Donor
May 30, 2010
Portugal
I have used the old and reliable Shunyata Andromeda with the REF3, 5 and I am still using it with the REF40. Perhaps next year I will listen to the new Ztron power cables.

microstrip

VIP/Donor
May 30, 2010
Portugal
Hi, I have tried a few power cords. With ARC preamps, power amps and 5SE in particular. The best for me is K-S Elation.

Vess

Doy you also use the Elation signal cables?

Cascais

Nov 5, 2012
Portugal
Thanks for the replies. I think it wise to wait for the REF5 SE to stabilize before trying a different power cord. Right now I am leaning toward the new Ztron Shunyata Cobra.

ack

VIP/Donor & WBF Founding Member
May 6, 2010
Boston, MA
Thanks for the replies. I think it wise to wait for the REF5 SE to stabilize before trying a different power cord. Right now I am leaning toward the new Ztron Shunyata Cobra.

Excellent choice, I would say. You want a power cord that will lower noise the most; be sure to get at least 1.8m

Cascais

Nov 5, 2012
Portugal
Another thought

Excellent choice, I would say. You want a power cord that will lower noise the most; be sure to get at least 1.8m
My pre and CDp are hooked up to a Shunyata Hydra fed by a CX Python (not Monty). Maybe there would be benefit in using the Ztron Cobra between AC and Hydra, moving the Python to the preamp. Just a thought. (BTW the Ref5se is playing Smetana and sounding gorgeous!)

jazdoc

Member Sponsor
Aug 7, 2010
Bellevue
The Found-Music GiFT power cords are absolutely killer at their price point....

daytona600

Sep 9, 2012
scotland
Use dfpc signature from lessloss myself

Mobiusman

May 24, 2010
Jersey Shore- waterside
While I do not have direct experience with power cords discussed, there is no doubt that ARC Ref 5 SE and I think the Ref 250 and Wilson Sasha's are Shunyata's reference system, and thus likely to be the best sounding with them. I am currently giving a lot of thought to Shunyata power cords versus their AC conditioner and trying to decide which is better and if the Shunyata is the best way to go in general. Thus far I am leaning towards the conditioner, although Cailin told me that if there was only one thing to do, it would be to use one of their Zitron power cords with a power amp.

ack

VIP/Donor & WBF Founding Member
May 6, 2010
Boston, MA
Caelin is right.

XV-1

May 24, 2010
Sydney
I used Nordost Valhalla with mine

plus one

With the laid back dark character of the ref5se, it would certainly benefit from the speed and precision the Valhalla gives.

Cascais

Nov 5, 2012
Portugal
While I do not have direct experience with power cords discussed, there is no doubt that ARC Ref 5 SE and I think the Ref 250 and Wilson Sasha's are Shunyata's reference system, and thus likely to be the best sounding with them. I am currently giving a lot of thought to Shunyata power cords versus their AC conditioner and trying to decide which is better and if the Shunyata is the best way to go in general. Thus far I am leaning towards the conditioner, although Cailin told me that if there was only one thing to do, it would be to use one of their Zitron power cords with a power amp.
I asked Grant Samuelson of Shunyata about their cables and ARC, and this is what he answered: "The new Cobra power cord model will be the optimum price/performance power cord for the Ref 5, which we use for development purposes. ARC use our cords in their systems as well so I imagine the Cobra model being a perfect match there." So I will be trying the new Zitron Cobra model with the REF5 SE, which may have the advantage in performance and certainly in price. Regarding the Shunyata power conditioner, I am using the Hydra with the CX Python with very good results. It gives my system added transparency, definition and a more holographic soundstage.

vess

Nov 4, 2012
Sofia, Bulgaria
www.audio-bg.com
Hi, The REF5SE is everything, but "laid back", I am stunned ... it is so lively sounding in a good way. Perfectly balanced. Also, Nordost kills most of the magic. Yes, it is false speed and worng precision. Soory turntable, but it is true. Try Kubala-Sosna for best result - Elation.

Vess

Cascais

Nov 5, 2012
Portugal
Agree with Vess. The REF 5 is not laid back. If it is, there is a problem elsewhere in the system, power amp maybe. In my experience, the REF 5 can be downright rowdy with the right material.

microstrip

VIP/Donor
May 30, 2010
Portugal
plus one

With the laid back dark character of the ref5se, it would certainly benefit from the speed and precision the Valhalla gives.

Although I would never describe the ref5se as having a laid back dark character, I can see that compared to other preamplifiers that show an incisive, bright and detail oriented sound quality the qualification can make sense. It is all a question of preference.

mep

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Maybe there are multiple versions of the REF 5: We have the laid-back version, the rowdy version, and soon to come-the randy version. That's the one you will have to keep your eye on lest it have unspeakable relations with the rest of your gear.

XV-1

May 24, 2010
Sydney
Hi, The REF5SE is everything, but "laid back", I am stunned ... it is so lively sounding in a good way. Perfectly balanced. Also, Nordost kills most of the magic. Yes, it is false speed and worng precision. Soory turntable, but it is true. Try Kubala-Sosna for best result - Elation.

Vess

Agree with Vess. The REF 5 is not laid back. If it is, there is a problem elsewhere in the system, power amp maybe. In my experience, the REF 5 can be downright rowdy with the right material.

Although I would never describe the ref5se as having a laid back dark character, I can see that compared to other preamplifiers that show an incisive, bright and detail oriented sound quality the qualification can make sense. It is all a question of preference.

Perhaps it comes from what you reference is. Mine is cj GAT.

Arc ref5se was indeed relatively laid back, dark in character, base was extended but PRAT was oh so slow. This pre amp ain't no rock n roller, more grand pipe smoking playing jazz etc imo.

Cj GAT has a little mid bass hump which the arc does not have, from the midrange up was clearer, more concise, faster , vocals more up front and can play all types of music.

Don't get me wrong, the ARC was nice but not as good as the more expensive cj in my system. This was consistent running in single ended with cj amps and balanced using Pass and Momentum amps. Arc pre amp had 690 hours on it and did not change character in the 120 hours I put on it.

BTW, there is no false speed with Valhalla. It is like pure running water IMO, it will sound pure and warm with such equipment and light and bright if the equipment has such tendencies. It is not a cable to sugarcoat anything.

Cheers

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing