What's the best power cord for the ARC REF5 SE?

vess

Nov 4, 2012
Sofia, Bulgaria
www.audio-bg.com
Hi Turntable, then I guess there is something worng in your system set up. My reference is REF10 from ARC, sublime !!! Systems I tired REF5SE inclide: MSB Diamond DAC, Walker TT, phono stage with Goldfinger Statement, ARC REF10, Krell 402e, D'Agostino Momentum monos, Constellaiton Centaur, Avallon Isis, Magico S5 and Q7, YG Anat III Sig, Grande Utopia, etc. I respect CJ a lot, but there is nothing wrong with REF5SE at all in all kind of systems ...

Also, Nordost does not have the balance and does not sound musical at all, may be you should try something esle to see what's possible from CJ ...

Vess

Cascais

Nov 5, 2012
Portugal
Used with the stock power cord (trying to stay on topic here), the REF5 SE excels at reproducing large orchestral music by composers e.g. Mahler, Shostakovich and Prokofiev, with dynamism and weight, better than any preamp in my relatively limited experience. Not what you'd expect from a laid-back preamp.

Last edited:

XV-1

May 24, 2010
Sydney
Hi Turntable, then I guess there is something worng in your system set up. My reference is REF10 from ARC, sublime !!! Systems I tired REF5SE inclide: MSB Diamond DAC, Walker TT, phono stage with Goldfinger Statement, ARC REF10, Krell 402e, D'Agostino Momentum monos, Constellaiton Centaur, Avallon Isis, Magico S5 and Q7, YG Anat III Sig, Grande Utopia, etc. I respect CJ a lot, but there is nothing wrong with REF5SE at all in all kind of systems ...

Also, Nordost does not have the balance and does not sound musical at all, may be you should try something esle to see what's possible from CJ ...

Vess

I don't believe I said the arc was bad - it is not. It is dark, even my dealer said it was dark, but it is all relative.

Impressive list of equipment there.

Vess, what did you think were the differences between the ARC ref5se or ref10 and the cj GAT when you compared both in your system?

vess

Nov 4, 2012
Sofia, Bulgaria
www.audio-bg.com
Unfortunately I don't have the GAT to paly with. I guess the battle is between REF5SE and GAT. I can understand the personal preferences. I just don't think REF5SE to be laid back. Now REF 10 is whole different story, it is as close to "no preamp" as possible today. Unbelievable improvement over REF ANN, which is very, very good.

So, my guess is REF 10 is a different league ... That also means it is so revealing, your system might not be ready for the test ... It should be perfectly balanced with ultra top end components to appreciate the REF10. It is simply too good to be true.

REF ANN is much more forgiving in a good way. Makes the sytem you put it in shine, without too much attention to the "weakest link", if there is any.

In my view everyone needs to match the "level" of the system with the preamp. With ARC is easy, you have REF5SE, REF ANN ( well, some people ) and REF 10. All world class, but you need to find the right one for your system.

Finally, from all of them, may be REF ANN is closest to be "laid back". Again, in a very positive way.

Vess

Amado

Wow!
IMHO there is no comparison with any preamp in the market for the REF10
is so good you need to hear it to believes us.
Tried many good preamps but nothing comes close to the REF10
don't take my word, ask your nearest dealer for a demo.
I had mine from RMAF2012, was love at first sight.

Amado

About the cables,
I use MIT cables and Z-trap Magnum
So impressive results, they replace all my Transparent Reference Cables

edorr

WBF Founding Member
May 10, 2010
Smyrna, GA
I'll stick with Shunyata (assuming I decided the Ref5 SE that will arrive in a few days. Would you advise a Cobra Ztron or an Phyton CX?

Frank750

VIP/Donor
Jul 8, 2011
I'll stick with Shunyata (assuming I decided the Ref5 SE that will arrive in a few days. Would you advise a Cobra Ztron or an Phyton CX?

When I had my Ref 5 followed by Ref 40, I went from Anaconda CX to a King Cobra CX and was shocked at the improvement. Switched to the Anaconda Ztron when they came out and there was further improvement but to a lesser degree than the Anaconda CX to King Cobra CX displayed.

edorr

WBF Founding Member
May 10, 2010
Smyrna, GA
When I had my Ref 5 followed by Ref 40, I went from Anaconda CX to a King Cobra CX and was shocked at the improvement. Switched to the Anaconda Ztron when they came out and there was further improvement but to a lesser degree than the Anaconda CX to King Cobra CX displayed.

Fair enough, but these are $2k - $3k cords - out of my pricerange. Any recommendations about the shunyata line in the $1K range? I can pick up a used Phyton CX 20A for $600 or shoot for a Z-tron cobra. This is my dilemma.

Frank750

VIP/Donor
Jul 8, 2011
Fair enough, but these are $2k - $3k cords - out of my pricerange. Any recommendations about the shunyata line in the $1K range? I can pick up a used Phyton CX 20A for $600 or shoot for a Z-tron cobra. This is my dilemma.

I haven't tried Shunyata's less expensive models but after using the last 3 generations of their power cables and talking to a couple of Shunyata employees, I would go for the Ztron models.

All 3 generations were used with Audio Research Reference gear over the years by the way. I currently use Ztron Anacondas across the board in my system. I've tried Kubala, Audience, Cardas and a few others. Prefer Shunyata by a wide margin.

edorr

WBF Founding Member
May 10, 2010
Smyrna, GA
I haven't tried Shunyata's less expensive models but after using the last 3 generations of their power cables and talking to a couple of Shunyata employees, I would go for the Ztron models.

All 3 generations were used with Audio Research Reference gear over the years by the way. I currently use Ztron Anacondas across the board in my system. I've tried Kubala, Audience, Cardas and a few others. Prefer Shunyata by a wide margin.

Thanks. I'll pass on the used Phyton CX and will try to score a new Z-tron. Hope I can get decent dealer discount.

Cascais

Nov 5, 2012
Portugal
Thanks. I'll pass on the used Phyton CX and will try to score a new Z-tron. Hope I can get decent dealer discount.

Good choice. See my earlier post regarding the Z-tron Cobra which was developed with the Ref 5. It is quite affordable as these things go.

edorr

WBF Founding Member
May 10, 2010
Smyrna, GA
OK. Now that we have the power cabling sorted out, lets turn to another money pit.

Has anyone had any success with any type of resonance control device / platform for the Ref 5 SE (or any other ARC tube preamp)? I Have generally had very little luck with resonance control (short of Stillpoint Ultras under my speakers at some point in the past), but like a bona fide audiophile I try to avoid wasting any opportunities to sink more money into my system - hence my question.

Cascais

Nov 5, 2012
Portugal
OK. Now that we have the power cabling sorted out, lets turn to another money pit.

Has anyone had any success with any type of resonance control device / platform for the Ref 5 SE (or any other ARC tube preamp)? I Have generally had very little luck with resonance control (short of Stillpoint Ultras under my speakers at some point in the past), but like a bona fide audiophile I try to avoid wasting any opportunities to sink more money into my system - hence my question.
It would be a good idea to start a new thread since this is a different, and interesting, topic about which I'd like to see some opinions. The only isolating devices I use are the spikes on my equipment stand with good results. But I'm sure there are other opinions.

seriouslyhifi

Mar 19, 2013
Trust me and try the Synergestic Research Tranquility Base. I have tried a lot in the market and by far these are the best by some margin. Especially under Digital and anything with Tubes in them. Not cheap but you owe yourself to try them. And after powering them on ithe Tranquility Base takes 24 to 48 hours to settle. Then magic.

edorr

WBF Founding Member
May 10, 2010
Smyrna, GA
Trust me and try the Synergestic Research Tranquility Base. I have tried a lot in the market and by far these are the best by some margin. Especially under Digital and anything with Tubes in them. Not cheap but you owe yourself to try them. And after powering them on ithe Tranquility Base takes 24 to 48 hours to settle. Then magic.

Might just give this a try at some point. Not cheap indeed....

seriouslyhifi

Mar 19, 2013
I have also used the Symposium Ultra Platform WITH the Symposium Rollerblock Series 2 and various other combinations but nothing comes close to the Sybergestic Research Tranquility Base, THEN there is the Synergestic Research ART system for resonance control. Now that is another story and another thread..... Do not go there if you cannot buy it as then one has to have it. Very dangerous.

edorr

WBF Founding Member
May 10, 2010
Smyrna, GA

So i finally got a Zitron Phyton to replace the stock cord of the Ref5 SE - burned in for a about a week. This is a huge improvement. No basis for comparison with any other cables, but this PC is definitely staying.

gfroman

Dec 28, 2012
Disclaimer - I sell Marigo Audio Labs products.
The new Marigo - RHX Mystery Feet are absolutely incredible under anything I place them under.
Not sure exactly how they do what they do, but wow - Magic!

RHX MF-1.jpg

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing