When you invite someone over to listen...

Do you let them listen to what they want to hear (or are used too) or do you play a few demo tracks first?

What say you and why?
I ask them what they want to hear but, most often, they ask me to choose.
Does anyone here allow visitors to pull out their phones and make recordings to then post publicly?
I don't invite people like that.
Do you invite audiophiles over, or do they invite themselves over?
Audiophiles do invite themselves but, if they are not friends, I decline. My friends are another story...............
Do you allow them to make comparisons between formats, various cartridges/tonearms, or other gear?
Never happened (even when I had such gear). Now, all they see are the speakers and my iPad.

Reactions: SCAudiophile
I have a firm policy of not playing "demo" tracks or any particular repertoire myself. I insist that the guest comes upstairs and selects records and/or tapes himself/herself.

If he/she does not find anything in the record/tape storage cabinet, then I hand him/her the iPad for Qobuz.

I think it's more fun for the guest to play tracks he/she is very familiar with.

Does anyone here allow visitors to pull out their phones and make recordings to then post publicly?
Sure. I don't care.

both

Do you allow them to make comparisons between formats, various cartridges/tonearms, or other gear?

Sure! They also are welcome to bring over their own components to compare with what I have in-house.

When somebody comes over to listen, the first thing I do is show them this picture and say "this is what happened to the last guy that touched something"

download.jpg

The second thing I do is them them to please turn off their cell phone. First, I think it's beyond rude to answer phone alerts during a listening session just because you have a dopamine addiction and second, lord knows I abhor taking cell phone videos of a system to try and capture sonic information. Unless someone you know is having a heart attack, turn the damn phone off or leave it on the next room where I can't hear it beep, vibrate, ring, flash or (these days, you never know) explode. As far as music, I'll generally play a few tunes, LP and digital, and then give them free rein using their own material if they wish.

Last edited:
...whoah! Has that really happened to you? That is amazing. I would regret I have no place to hide a body that would go undetected.
Handprints on the speaker don't lie. Fortunately I was not in the room (went to get more wine).

When somebody comes over to listen, the first thing I do is show them this picture and say "this is what happened to the last guy that touched something:

View attachment 136717

The second thing I do is them them to please turn off their cell phone. First, I think it's beyond rude to answer phone alerts during a listening session just because you have a dopamine addiction and second, lord knows I abhor taking cell phone videos of a system to try and capture sonic information. Unless someone you know is having a heart attack, turn the damn phone off or leave it on the next room where I can't hear it beep, vibrate, ring, flash or (these days, you never know) explode. As far as music, I'll generally play a few tunes, LP and digital, and then give them free rein using their own material if they wish.
I will make a copy!

I give my guests the tablet (digital) and remote control (volume) and then they can choose the music they want to listen to. Only I operate the turntable unless it's my best friends. I like to wash any records you bring with me because my cartridges only see clean lps.

Last edited:
Hands off was an unspoken rule, at least I thought it was...

Tom
I believe it's legal in 21 states to break the arm of someone who touches your system without your permission.

• Haha
I tell please dont touch anything.

I usually play 3 or 4 snips so they can hear clean, articulate bass; clear vocals, silky highs; and expansive soundstage. Then I hand them the ipad. They are free to play anything as loud or soft as they want. I have no fear.

no, I will allow them to touch everything, the turntables, the cd players, the records, all the works, except the loudspeaker cables snaking on the floor, or the interconnect cables at the back of the system.

The problem is bare human skin touching the dielectric of the cables always end up imparting some adverse sound changes to the system's sound.

This is an issue repeatable again and again.

The only solution is to power down everything, unplug all the cables and let them whatever gremlins there is dissipate over 48 hours before plugging them back in and re-powering them up again.

A friend was a M&M tragic, and I found an LP once while on a trip.
Later I asked if he would be willing to listen to the stereo.
He said you do not have anything I like…
I put that M&M rapper LP on and his face just lit up.

If advanced notice, I usually invite them to bring music they're familiar with, and/or they feel is good critical listening material.
Otherwise, it depends...
If the point of the listening session is to identify specifics (system, music, etc.,) I'd likely pick some things that I think highlight our target. I'd then offer them up but not be attached to them being played first and negotiate that real-time.
If the listen is more casual and/or impromptu, I'll usually ask if there's anything they'd like to hear. Their requests get played first - which may be as broad as a genre (meaning I still might be responsible to select the actual material,) or as narrow as a specific song.

About half the time, they shrug and ask me to get things started.

Last edited:
Reactions: Bruno Rivademar
Do you let them listen to what they want to hear (or are used too) or do you play a few demo tracks first?

Tom
Not really...
When friends come over to listen to music, it is most often to compare and discuss various performances of classical pieces and enjoy a symphony or two with the appropriate (energising) drink.
On the rare occasion a pure audiophile comes along, I will usually play a well-known, well-recorded piece (e.g. Mercy Street, Jazz @ the Pawnshop, etc) and then move on to whatever they want. I have a small selection of audiophile recordings to play with.

The comments are generally complementary: my sound is impressive in that the room is very small, the speakers thereby look big-ish and the sound comes from well behind the speakers (often far outside a window behind them), and stretches outside the visual boundaries on either side of both speakers.

3 little treats I usually do for my guests:

1. Remove the piece of passive loudspeaker that sits between the 2 loudspeakers that are playing at the moment and watch their eyes lit up as the soundstaging height now reach as high as the ceiling.

2. Wash their CDs under tap water and dab dry with tissue paper and watch their incredulous reaction when the central image that was skewed to the left side previously gradually move to the centre.

3. Do the power refresh to clear playback memory on the cd player, play the same cd again and watch their jaws drop.

Wash their CDs under tap water and dab dry with tissue paper and watch their incredulous reaction when the central image that was skewed to the left side previously gradually move to the centre.

Help me understand how tap water essentially rearranges the sound-staging in-bedded in the CD recording?

Usually people ask to hear one or both of my setups rather than me inviting them over for a listen. I honestly could care less if anyone likes either of my setups or of my music collections.

People are welcome to select any recording from my music collections for a listen.
I've 8000 LP's, 600 analog tapes, 1000 or so CD's, a Bluetooth streaming device, and 6 different tuners for radio...

Last edited:

That unexpected knock on your front door is Ked, coming over for a little unannounced food and cartridge comparisons. :rolleyes:

• Haha
Reactions: Pokey77
That unexpected knock on your front door is Ked, coming over for a little unannounced food and cartridge comparisons. :rolleyes:
No worries for me. I don’t provide food. The listening room is a crumb-free zone.

Oh oh, but unlikely. Bonzo does not like back loaded horns. I don’t have enough gear for comparisons. And I post my own videos.

Last edited:
Reactions: Lagonda

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu