Beverly Hills, CA
Very good news!

Reactions: mulveling

Ron Resnick

Site Co-Owner, Administrator
Jan 24, 2015
Beverly Hills, CA
the devils in the details.

From the consumer's point of view, at least, there is no devil. One of the main high-power tube amp companies gets to stay in business and continue to produce great sounding products. Existing owners can continue to get their components serviced without interruption. It is all good.

Gregadd

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Metro DC
time will tell.

davidavdavid

Jun 30, 2014
Columbus, Ohio, USA
david.com
You seem disappointed.
Less disappointed more surprised that this would be resolved so quickly. The matter at hand remains a tall order. Acquiring the company and assuming its debt is one thing, turning things around is another. For the consumer this is good news inasmuch there is an entity taking responsibility for the company’s products and its customer service.

What this all means operationally for the company, how it is affected organisationally, what form it takes, and who oversees the vision is all to be seen and learned.

The situation has gotten to this point for several reasons and those reasons needs to be addressed.

Reactions: picears

Gregadd

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Metro DC
The renaissance of vinyl could make the full function preamp relevant again.

Reactions: Bill Hart

Pacha

VIP/Donor
Apr 23, 2014
I'm very glad to hear this news and that my hope and not my sadness is to be realized. Wishing them great success as they work through this process. :)

Republicoftexas69

I think this is wonderful. Not an ARC fan had a couple of their integrated amps and they were short lived in my system. However a great many people enjoy their products and I am happy for them and the folks that work at ARC. Not understanding the cynicism and vitriol towards this company.

I truly hope this is a new chapter in the book of ARC and great things come of it.

Reactions: Pacha

Big Dog RJ

Feb 2, 2012
Melbourne
Cheers to that! Finally sorted out... and now business as usual.

Let's all get back to enjoying our fine tunes. The speculation wagon has rolled to an end.

All the best to ARC, and most of all, keep those tubes glowing. Now that deserves a mighty WOOF!
RJ

AudioAbe

Jun 10, 2021
UK
I own and love my ARC Ref 6SE and 160S. I had been planning to add the 3SE Phono to my setup shortly before the news that ARC had gone into administration . Like most of the good people here on this forum, I was deeply sadden to learn that ARC was suffering difficulties. I had no idea. And it did give me pause for thought - how unsettling and uncertain it must be for the talented people who work for ARC and how it must be affecting them and their families; the sadness felt by those who are proud owners of ARC equipment (like me) and those who care about the highend audio industry; and what it says about the fragility of those companies in this industry.
So, tonight I am going to raise a glass (and turn the amp up loud) to ARC and to all its employees. Sometimes good comes from a bad situation, and with a fresh start, I wish you all the success.
For my part, what better way to show my support than put that order in for the 3SE...

Bill Hart

May 11, 2012
Even though I'm not a current ARC owner, I'm glad to hear this. I have fond memories of my early ARC gear and hope the company finds a good path forward. Be curious to know who bought it. I could speculate but that would lead to unnecessary contentiousness. (I do have someone in mind though- we'll see if my predictive abilities come true).

Reactions: Lee

andromedaaudio

VIP/Donor
Jan 23, 2011
Amsterdam holland
Congratulations ARC , to the new owners / staff
I wish them succes , i m sure i ll hear them next week in Munich.

I owned a LS 27 back in the day

Lee

Feb 3, 2011
Alpharetta, Georgia
I own and love my ARC Ref 6SE and 160S. I had been planning to add the 3SE Phono to my setup shortly before the news that ARC had gone into administration . Like most of the good people here on this forum, I was deeply sadden to learn that ARC was suffering difficulties. I had no idea. And it did give me pause for thought - how unsettling and uncertain it must be for the talented people who work for ARC and how it must be affecting them and their families; the sadness felt by those who are proud owners of ARC equipment (like me) and those who care about the highend audio industry; and what it says about the fragility of those companies in this industry.
So, tonight I am going to raise a glass (and turn the amp up loud) to ARC and to all its employees. Sometimes good comes from a bad situation, and with a fresh start, I wish you all the success.
For my part, what better way to show my support than put that order in for the 3SE...

I also have the same Ref gear including the phono stage. They are all excellent but the Ref Phono 3SE may the best of all. It is superb!

jaxdr

Feb 21, 2017
Ponte Vedra Beach, Florida
You should try the Ref 10 and Ref Phono 10.:D. Today I would still choose those first.

View attachment 109271

Ref2SE
Ref 10, Ref 3
Ref 10 PS, Ref 10 Phono PS, Ref Phono 10
Agreed...I searched long and hard for a preamp determined to find the best available, either tube or SS. Many folks had been ditching their preamps to go direct from DAC to amp. I happened to be in the right place at the right time and found my ARC Ref10 SE. To date, it has proven to be bullet proof and of course the sound is sublime.
Tima, great photo of a great rig.

Reactions: Another Johnson

Lee

Feb 3, 2011
Alpharetta, Georgia
You should try the Ref 10 and Ref Phono 10.:D. Today I would still choose those first.

View attachment 109271

Ref2SE
Ref 10, Ref 3
It’s a bit above my budget but I would love to have those in the system!

Argonaut

Jul 30, 2013
N/A

View attachment 109271

Ref2SE
Ref 10, Ref 3

OH MY o_O Thank you for introducing me to a genuinely Novel Physiological Corporeal experience. A post from yourself that I might remotely concur with … My last full ARC system comprising Ref 10 Phono , Ref 10 Pre and Ref 250SE mono ‘s … For my part a most excellent system .

Reactions: Bobvin

caesar

May 30, 2010
Emotions and nostalgia aside, one has to soberly look at the future of tube gear in context of this event. Over the last 10-15 years, the tastes of the audiophile have shifted toward hard-to-drive speakers like wilson, magico, and others. there has been a bunch of new SS amplification companies like ch precision, soulution, constellation, etc., pop up that have tickled the passions of audiophiles and the interests of "audio journalists"...

at the same time, the tube companies have receded. there are much less dealers for cj, cat, vac, etc. and it seems these tube companies have gotten smaller, smaller, and smaller , selling extremely expensive models to survive....

Personal taste wise, whereas audio research , especially the ref 75, sounds sublime driving scaena and nola, it really can't drive a wilson , a magico, focal, sinus fiber, etc., unless someone likes a soft, tubey, non-dynamic sound.... but my personal tastes aside, the overall tastes in the hobby have shifted toward the more dynamic and highly detailed solid state.

The market has spoken... so the question is who will be buying tube gear, and audio research, in the future once they get a new owner?

Gregadd

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Metro DC
There are many things I could say. with respect to tubes i Hever really experienced dynamics until I discovered tubes.

caesar

May 30, 2010
There are many things I could say. with respect to tubes i Hever really experienced dynamics until I discovered tubes.
with very high efficiency speakers, I would agree. But with hard to drive box speakers like wilson and magico and sinus finer, I respectfully disagree.. walked into axpona room with a newish speaker brand driven by arc and it sounded anemic ..

regardless of personal tastes, audio research is an established brand. it's frequently sold by wilson dealers, many of whom have an emotional connection to arc over decades. so the is no shortage of passion or hype on their part

yet the market has spoken

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing