Who’s up for a $2800 fuse?

Yes and get the people to change the fuses every 2 years.Great idea.You got a great business idea,even better every single year.Honestly,does anyone know if these people got and reputation or track record and where are they situated.On my next trip I would love to visit them and indulge in super advanced quantum science to produce a fuse and the story of 22 years of research for a fuse.This is quite a story.I wonder who actually believes it.What can be more satisfying than this.

Cheers

Reactions: andromedaaudio
No,I don’t want to go that route .I hope to get some input regarding ideas what could improve a audio fuse in general.Any ideas .

I’ve seen the QSA website and seen the different colour codes of the fuses and the AC receptacles

I don’t know and don’t expect we would be able to measure any differences electrical at all,the measurements would be extremely similar,but apparently they sound different..

Maybe somebody got an idea how this is possible,or what magic is behind this.Please no quantum bla…bla or maybe this is really the answer,but I would be astonished.

Love to hear anybody’s ideas

Cheers
Here is a link to the first review I've seen of the new SR Purple fuse:

The "magic" that SR is willing to talk about is use of Graphene (which QSA also claims), and conditioning each fuse with millions of volts of electricity. There is a link to the reviewer's previous assessment of the much less expensive and "more resolving" Acme silver fuse which the manufacturer says is coated with "Crystal Fiber Compound". I guess the good news for many is that there are much cheaper alternatives to SR and QSA.

Amazing that millions of Volts doesn't blow these fuses in manufacture, but the wrong rating in your gear will blow them. More audio BS claims?

Amazing that millions of Volts doesn't blow these fuses in manufacture, but the wrong rating in your gear will blow them. More audio BS claims?
No way to know what is BS and what isn't, which brings us back to listening as the only way to evaluate whether a product is worth the cost to you.

How can you pump millions of Volts thru a fuse and not blow it? Can one really be that specific on current?
This sounds like a dietary supplement company saying research involved gorging on Mac n Cheese and ice cream Lol.

Maybe it isn't the finished fuse that gets treated with high voltage - maybe it is the end cap metal and bulk wire - again, SR is not likely to share the details. This high voltage conditioning is also claimed for their cables. But do we really need to know the intricacies of its design/construction if the sonic result of the SR Purple fuse for example is as the reviewer described?

Last edited:
Cellcbern, I'm just making a light hearted point, not to be taken too seriously. There are so many wacky claims in audio, the wackiness in direct proportion to the cost. My other fave is the claim from a top dac company that "15,000 hours" listening research went into their flagship product. I'd love to listen to music for 15,000 hours and be recompensed for my time Lol.

Reactions: Cellcbern
Hi

I worked with graphene many time and it is a really great conducter,but graphene powder ????.One thing is for sure ,it is highly toxic.So please don’t break the fuse. The advantage of praphene is in its dense molecular structure ,powder does not have a dense molecular structure,it is powder.

Well,if people are prepared to pay for it,so be it and good luck.The problem remains,the price and the B/S and only we the consumers can change that if we desire.

Cheers

Hi

I worked with graphene many time and it is a really great conducter,but graphene powder ????.One thing is for sure ,it is highly toxic.So please don’t break the fuse. The advantage of praphene is in its dense molecular structure ,powder does not have a dense molecular structure,it is powder.

Well,if people are prepared to pay for it,so be it and good luck.The problem remains,the price and the B/S and only we the consumers can change that if we desire.

Cheers
Audiophile fuse are optional, and your ears will tell you if they are making a difference or not, so the "BS" really doesn't matter. And there are options like the Acme fuses which are less than $20 each. Where's the problem?

I got no problem,I am listening to great music at the moment.

The only problem I got is in misleading adverts and false claims and ridiculous prices

Question,who it in favour of misleading advertising and false claims and been ripped off.

Whatever

Cheers

Reactions: wil
Audiophile fuse are optional, and your ears will tell you if they are making a difference or not, so the "BS" really doesn't matter.
and there in lies the rub that so many audiophiles refuse to admit, expectation bias for one, it's real and if one doesn't believe then yes they drink the 'kool-aid' !

IMHO BS always matters . We are being accustomed to accepting in so many walks of life.

"Deal with people under false prentences
No-one's problems will be solved
You have to take the consequences
Of speaking out, get involved" Ruts DC

and there in lies the rub that so many audiophiles refuse to admit, expectation bias for one, it's real and if one doesn't believe then yes they drink the 'kool-aid' !
Expectation bias if it exists, is speculative - how do you know if it is happening or not? And if it is a real thing in audio it would not apply just to audiophile fuses. Every happy/successful component upgrade ever posted about at WBF could be attributed to expectation bias. It may come into play upon first listening but I don't believe expectation bias holds up over longer term repeat critical listening. Have you ever upgraded your amps/speakers/source/cables and liked the improvement? Was your satisfaction with your purchases expectation bias?

IMHO BS always matters . We are being accustomed to accepting in so many walks of life.

"Deal with people under false prentences
No-one's problems will be solved
You have to take the consequences
Of speaking out, get involved" Ruts DC
Apples and oranges. In the context of this discussion no one has been able (even with access to a lab and some scientific background) to determine which claims are and aren't BS and what might be going on technically in a fuse that accounts for its sound signature or price. Fortunately in audio (unlike some other areas in life) we are protected from the BS by all of our purchases being optional, multiple product choices at different price points, and our (hopefully) educated ears as final arbiters.

I decided I going to drink quantum treated wine in black and red wine glass these were specially quantum threaded by the best Hong Kong quantum scientists and were the bottleneck is eliminated .Maybe I will be able to drink faster and experience more pleasure.

I am out of this fuse quantum bla bla.It is far too advanced for my 4 PhD’s in engineering and advanced mathematics

Cheers and enjoy

• Haha
Reactions: andromedaaudio
Post 42 in this thread from Tang contains a link to the Stereotimes review of QSA fuses which is the only review I have seen
It seems pretty clear from the review that the manufacturer is a well qualified and experienced electronics engineer who has been around the audio scene for a number of years,
I just take the quantumn science claims as the sort of marketing hype common to this hobby. What matters is how they sound and in my system the violets and the yellows have very substantially improved the sound quality.
Pardon me saying so, but I do get irritated by your constant reference to QSA fuses as $2800 fuses. There is a range of QSA fuses at considerably lower prices and it strikes me that your depiction of them is not helpful to members of this forum.
Not seeking to make a song and dance about it, but a balanced discussion is always more enlightening

I have just found a follow up review to the one by Stereotimes.
It is on Facebook from Horizon Acoustics and is confined to the violet and red QSA fuses.
Just as positive as the earlier review and preceded by the reviewer's understandable scepticism.
Worth a read. He has Vac amps.

The "magic" that SR is willing to talk about is use of Graphene (which QSA also claims), and conditioning each fuse with millions of volts of electricity. There is a link to the reviewer's previous assessment of the much less expensive and "more resolving" Acme silver fuse which the manufacturer says is coated with "Crystal Fiber Compound". I guess the good news for many is that there are much cheaper alternatives to SR and QSA.
I bought a set of the Acme Silver CFC fuses and they were all DOA--the lights on my amps all lit up, but no music would play with them. I still need to send them back for a refund. Gonna stop worrying about fuses and enjoy my music.

Reactions: twitch

Thanks for the link to the review.
Another good contender for fuse upgrades and more affordable at $199.
Having gone down the QSA route and being very impressed with them I will stay with QSA but the SR Purple clearly merits serious consideration by anyone looking to upgrade their existing fuses.

Reactions: Steveo

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing