Why does burning in work

Gregadd

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Metro DC
Quote without comment: Is science bullshit? No. But there is a lot of bullshit masquerading as science."

DaveC

Industry Expert
Nov 16, 2014
Harshness causes listening fatigue, it is not possible to "adapt" to it in the same way as other changes.

DaveC

Industry Expert
Nov 16, 2014
Quote without comment: Is science bullshit? No. But there is a lot of bullshit masquerading as science."

Lol, and who makes that judgement? Biased human beings, that's who.

We still have flat-earthers and climate change deniers despite the overwhelming science, logic and reason behind the facts.

Kal Rubinson

May 4, 2010
NYC
www.stereophile.com
Harshness causes listening fatigue, it is not possible to "adapt" to it in the same way as other changes.

Animals adapt to all kinds of annoying and offensive things. There is good electrophysiological (and social) evidence for it.

DaveC

Industry Expert
Nov 16, 2014
Animals adapt to all kinds of annoying and offensive things. There is good electrophysiological (and social) evidence for it.

Not always. Harshness stimulates the nervous system's survival reactions and leads to long-term listening fatigue. Many don't understand this because they've never had a system that doesn't do this... most do to some degree. A sign your system does not is the ability to listen at higher SPLs for longer sessions without fatigue. There is plenty of evidence for this too.

I honestly can't believe anyone that's into stereo systems thinks burn-in is made up or simply adaptation, there is tons of evidence this isn't the case and tons of people experiencing the exact same phenomenon. I guess it's more mass delusion. Anyways, I'm done with this argument. I'm stupid for even posting in this thread again. :(

Reactions: Gregadd

NorthStar

Feb 8, 2011
Vancouver Island, B.C. Canada
Lol, it's fine Dave; when I first got my first AM mono transistor radio it didn't sound full. With time and more precise tuning-in, the burn-in effect benefit was pro-foundly evident, and the adaptation process a fine revelation; I was only six-years old, with a good set of ears. The rest is his story...from mono to wide hi-fi stereo and to wi-fi elevated multichannel, ...on a higher plane.

BlueFox

Member Sponsor
Nov 8, 2013
I honestly can't believe anyone that's into stereo systems thinks burn-in is made up or simply adaptation, there is tons of evidence this isn't the case and tons of people experiencing the exact same phenomenon. I guess it's more mass delusion. Anyways, I'm done with this argument. I'm stupid for even posting in this thread again. :(

It really is a shame how armchair psychologists can ruin a thread by implying people are weak-minded and/or gullible because they can hear differently than the armchair psychologists. Maybe after someone has listened to their own system, in their own room, under the same conditions, for months and months, that maybe, just maybe, they are intimately familiar with how it sounds.

Oh well. I don't really care. I love my stereo. It is a magic carpet that takes me on a journey each weekend. :)

microstrip

VIP/Donor
May 30, 2010
Portugal
Agreed! We have a failure to communicate.

Says the spider who managed to attract a fly into his web ... :)

One way to avoid accommodation is keeping references and comparing the sound we are following to them. I did it so many times, sometimes comparing equal pieces of equipment burned-in and taken from the box, that I now manage to trust in myself in such matters, although I know the risks of fooling myself. But fortunately I have permanent solid references - for example Mogami studio cables and DDK power cables. Not every time the effects of burn-in were positive in my system.

DaveC

Industry Expert
Nov 16, 2014
Agreed! We have a failure to communicate.

Umm, no. You're trolling. Simple as that. I should know better to engage with trolls by now. I think this sums it up best:

"I learned long ago, never to wrestle with a pig. You get dirty, and besides, the pig likes it." - George Bernard Shaw

Mr Shaw was a smart fella!

Ron Resnick

Site Co-Owner, Administrator
Jan 24, 2015
Beverly Hills, CA
Umm, no. You're trolling. Simple as that. I should know better to engage with trolls by now. I think this sums it up best:

"I learned long ago, never to wrestle with a pig. You get dirty, and besides, the pig likes it." - George Bernard Shaw

Mr Shaw was a smart fella!

I am technically exceeding my authority here, but I am calling a foul here, Dave. Respectfully, I think you have not been having a good day here. I will be deleting your obnoxious and unwarranted post above.

Kal absolutely is not trolling. I would suggest having a drink and taking a look in the mirror, Dave. The tenor of your comments today suggests that if someone disagrees with your personal opinion then he is stupid/delusional/uninformed. That may work in your personal political echo chamber, but that dog won't hunt here.

DaveC

Industry Expert
Nov 16, 2014
I am technically exceeding my authority here, but I am calling a foul here, Dave. Respectfully, I think you have not been having a good day here. I will be deleting your obnoxious and unwarranted post above.

Kal absolutely is not trolling. I would suggest having a drink and taking a look in the mirror, Dave. The tenor of your comments today suggests that if someone disagrees with your personal opinion then he is stupid/delusional/uninformed. That may work in your personal political echo chamber, but that dog won't hunt here.

Wow. We certainly see things differently Ron, there is no doubt about that. Kal told bluefox that he's imagining harshness going away, and his responses to my genuine posts have been contrary in a way to bait a reaction. Look at microstrip's post:

Says the spider who managed to attract a fly into his web ... :)

Let's review the definition of trolling, shall we? ;) Look, Kal has been trollin' a bit and I called him out on it. What's the big deal? I think we've all trolled a little here and there.

I think you're taking this way, way, way, way, way too seriously. We're just talking on a forum on the internet about random stuff (re, Bitcoin). I'm not sure how it's even possible to get as offended about it as you seem right now.

The suggestion to "have a drink and look in the mirror" is, well, crossing lines. Not that I care or am taking offense, because I don't care that much about what you think, but it's certainly pretentious and condescending.

NorthStar

Feb 8, 2011
I like Kal, he has a smart sense of humor occasionally. He's good company, he creates smart debates, he's a leader and a connoisseur of many good things of life, including the human brain, the listening perception, the neurons, the multichannel classical music, the audio electronics, he's not shy, he's one of the best, everywhere. But most of all he's himself, human, an imperfect specimen of the human race. Aren't we all are, you better betcha.

The more we adapt, the more we get to know, the more burn-in effect takes place in time, with space.

DaveC

Industry Expert
Nov 16, 2014
I agree, I have no problem with Kal and enjoy his posts.

I, however, have decided not to argue about certain topics anymore and have been tempted into breaking my own rule. It's no big deal... not to me, hopefully not to anyone else...

NorthStar

Feb 8, 2011
A great debate in the pursuit of expanding our mind and knowledge is healthy for our human species.
I see only good. I like to also know how Kal sees; he's been in many forums for a long time, he has been reading everything from Sodom and Gomorrah.

Last edited:

Kal Rubinson

May 4, 2010
NYC
www.stereophile.com
Kal told bluefox that he's imagining harshness going away, and his responses to my genuine posts have been contrary in a way to bait a reaction.
I did not say that he was "imagining" anything and I did not dispute his perception. What I was questioning is his explanation.

I agree, I have no problem with Kal and enjoy his posts.

I, however, have decided not to argue about certain topics anymore and have been tempted into breaking my own rule. It's no big deal... not to me, hopefully not to anyone else...
I enjoy your posts and respect your experience but, as I stated before, there are issues about which we are unable to agree on fundamental principles and on which we had best not engage.

Kal Rubinson

May 4, 2010
NYC
www.stereophile.com
A great debate in the pursuit of expanding our mind and knowledge is healthy for our human species.
I see only good. I like to also know how Kal sees; he's been in many forums for a long time, he has been reading everything from Sodom and Gomorrah.
Reading? Wasn't I there?

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing