Why, oh why, does vinyl continue to blow away digital?

Great to hear how good the LP sounds, I can imagine. However, I guess it's time to do something about your digital if brass often sounds harsh and emaciated, and lacks heft.

Speaking of "digital" sound:

Thankfully and enjoyably there was some good sound at T.H.E Show. Yet I was taken aback by how many systems sounded thin in the midrange, tipped up towards the highs, and harsh or hard. On many of such systems there was also a nasty metallic edge that I have become very sensitive to. At the end yesterday I had severe "digital" fatigue, and my ears were bleeding. Today was better because we knew how to avoid the worst offenders. Now I understand better the aversion of some towards digital. I couldn't take such digital either.

But it wasn't just the digital. It was also hard and emaciated sounding SS amplification and speakers. On such systems the vinyl often sounded "digital" as well!

Exactly why I avoid attending shows. I like to preserve my hearing. Somehow, exhibitors and audiophiles feel that playing a system as loud as possible makes it sound better. Hence the term “loudspeaker”. I’ve heard too many screechy audiophile loudspeakers and know of what you speak. Combine that with steely strings on digital and you get my vision of audiophile hell. And to top it off, the early music movement got underway during the early rise of digital, so the strings were even screechier. Fortunately things have gotten much better in digital reproduction, but sadly recordings have not improved much. I see here in San Francisco how live DSD recordings are made of the San Francisco symphony: hundreds of pencil thin mikes distributed like confetti throughout the stage, probably all feeding into some giant mixer/equalizer managed by some intern. The results are predictable: the SF SACDs I have by MTT of the Mahler symphonies are pretty awful sounding. The old Solti Decca vinyl blows them out of the water in terms of dynamics.
Right, it’s the recording, not the medium.

Exactly why I avoid attending shows. I like to preserve my hearing. Somehow, exhibitors and audiophiles feel that playing a system as loud as possible makes it sound better. Hence the term “loudspeaker”. I’ve heard too many screechy audiophile loudspeakers and know of what you speak. Combine that with steely strings on digital and you get my vision of audiophile hell. And to top it off, the early music movement got underway during the early rise of digital, so the strings were even screechier. Fortunately things have gotten much better in digital reproduction, but sadly recordings have not improved much. I see here in San Francisco how live DSD recordings are made of the San Francisco symphony: hundreds of pencil thin mikes distributed like confetti throughout the stage, probably all feeding into some giant mixer/equalizer managed by some intern. The results are predictable: the SF SACDs I have by MTT of the Mahler symphonies are pretty awful sounding. The old Solti Decca vinyl blows them out of the water in terms of dynamics.

Actually, we avoided the really loud stuff or cut it short. Nonetheless, my ears were bleeding at the end of the day on Saturday from all the emaciated screechiness.

• Wow
Reactions: PeterA
As for playing loud, yesterday we listened quite loudly for a good while to a great system (PranaFidelity) at THE Show which from any source (vinyl, CD or tape) had a full-bodied, very dynamic sound with no edginess. It caused zero fatigue, and instead provided great listening engagement.

Quite a few other systems were very fatiguing at lower volume.

Its an acoustical illusion. Or more accurately: artefact: The very low freq rumble of a turntable causes a physiologic change which makes the cochlea more sensitive! LF stimulus draws the tectorial membrane closer to the outer hair cells, and inner hair cells.

At low frequencies, less than 250 hertz, the sensitivity of our hearing is poor because the inner hair cells of the cochlea are driven inadequately at low frequencies.

But interestingly, there is a way to increase the sensitivity of hearing, it seems. Exposure to low-frequency sound, on the order of 30 hz, sound level of 80 dB, can increase spontaneous otoacoustic emissions. This effect persists for about 2 minutes after the low frequency stops. This suggests that low frequency sound stimulation can prime the cochlea and increase the amplification process mediated by the outer hair cells. Low frequency sound stimulation results in more spontaneous OAEs - which means contractions of the outer hair cells and mechanical amplification of sound.

Its an acoustical illusion. Or more accurately: artefact: The very low freq rumble of a turntable causes a physiologic change which makes the cochlea more sensitive! LF stimulus draws the tectorial membrane closer to the outer hair cells, and inner hair cells.

If that is a real issue and solution to the problem, surely a digital filter could be created to replicate that effect.

The Turntable Rumble can originate from the Centre bearing, drive pullies, or Belts.
As it turns out, turntable rumble is typically in the 10-30 Hz region. It seems that turn tables mechanics introduce an ultra low-frequency sound which is inaudible, but yet, we know that it can affect the active micro mechanics of the cochlea (as objectively measured by spontaneous OAE - otoacoustic emissions).
My hypothesis is that the LF rumble of vinyl turntables excites the ohc to contract, making the inner hair cells more attuned to sound, more frequency sensitive, and very literally potentiating and amplifying our perception of recorded music.
Blasphemy? Or fun stuff, this is my current line and I'm sticking with it: the theory that a noisy artifact from our turntables is in fact mechanically priming the ear to hear better.

If that is a real issue and solution to the problem, surely a digital filter could be created to replicate that effect.
Could be likely that industry and nefarios are already using this, I don't know.

The Turntable Rumble can originate from the Centre bearing, drive pullies, or Belts.
As it turns out, turntable rumble is typically in the 10-30 Hz region. It seems that turn tables mechanics introduce an ultra low-frequency sound which is inaudible, but yet, we know that it can affect the active micro mechanics of the cochlea (as objectively measured by spontaneous OAE - otoacoustic emissions).
My hypothesis is that the LF rumble of vinyl turntables excites the ohc to contract, making the inner hair cells more attuned to sound, more frequency sensitive, and very literally potentiating and amplifying our perception of recorded music.
Blasphemy? Or fun stuff, this is my current line and I'm sticking with it: the theory that a noisy artifact from our turntables is in fact mechanically priming the ear to hear better.

Well, if there is something inherent in vinyl that makes you think it sounds better, what’s wrong with that? I think it has more to do with implementation and the fact that we live in an analog world.

It’s also not clear to me that turntables exhibit the same degree of rumble. My platter has no conventional bearing. It floats on a cushion of air and is attached to the motor by a very loose thread. Do you think those conditions create a similar issue of rumble that typical turntables with conventional bearings exhibit?

Reactions: gds7368 and mtemur
Well, if there is something inherent in vinyl that makes you think it sounds better, what’s wrong with that? I think it has more to do with implementation and the fact that we live in an analog world.

It’s also not clear to me that turntables exhibit the same degree of rumble. My platter has no conventional bearing. It floats on a cushion of air and is attached to the motor by a very loose thread. Do you think those conditions create a similar issue of rumble that typical turntables with conventional bearings exhibit?
Nothing wrong with it, just my theory based on the evidence of the effects of LF on the cochlea. Any LF stim could probably give the same outcome, or perhaps there's another physical factor involved which makes the tt rumble a unique cochlear potentiator.
Not sure about tt variations but it appears to be an all or none phenomenon whereby the LF stimulus either meets the criteria to activate contractions of ohc, or doesn't.

Actually, we avoided the really loud stuff or cut it short. Nonetheless, my ears were bleeding at the end of the day on Saturday from all the emaciated screechiness.

Can you just list a few of the rooms, that were not loud and shrill?

Can you just list a few of the rooms, that were not loud and shrill?

Some of the rooms not providing shrill and emaciated sound:
-- Songer Audio: That room with field coil speakers played vocals with beautiful fullness and fluidity.
-- The room with Evolution Acoustics minimonitors
-- The room from Alma Audio with Boehnicke speakers
-- The TAD room had some recordings that sounded good
-- PranaFidelity: I mentioned that in my previous post

In some other rooms where the sound was not shrill and/or emaciated there was still some hardness or hi-fi-ness in the sound that I did not like. Maybe I'm becoming hyper-critical, and after all, it's just show conditions (with problems of power delivery, room acoustics and other issues).

Reactions: Holmz
Listening to a high resolution album from Chandos of Brahms famous horn trio. I’m always struck by what’s missing: no ambience, the sound seems flat and lacking harmonic richness. There is no smoothness in the midrange, it’s a glassy sounding violin. I’m likely to not listen to this recording again.

1718068150633.png

Listening to a high resolution album from Chandos of Brahms famous horn trio. I’m always struck by what’s missing: no ambience, the sound seems flat and lacking harmonic richness. There is no smoothness in the midrange, it’s a glassy sounding violin. I’m likely to not listen to this recording again.

View attachment 132519
I did not care for that one either. very flat. no separation. not involving. but many streaming high rez classical files are really good.

If you want to hear the Brahms horn trio — one of his sublime masterpieces — in all its analog glory, you should listen to this great Decca recording. Of course, the performers are legends in their own right. Once again, vinyl triumphs.

1718078722362.png

Heck, I didn’t want to bring this up, but what the hell. Taylor Swift, the billion dollar pop sensation, releases a lot of vinyl records. Why? She could stick to streaming. One can argue it’s clever marketing. While I don’t particularly care for her music, there’s no denying her immense appeal to the youth who are buying millions of her vinyl albums.

Heck, I didn’t want to bring this up, but what the hell. Taylor Swift, the billion dollar pop sensation, releases a lot of vinyl records. Why? She could stick to streaming. One can argue it’s clever marketing. While I don’t particularly care for her music, there’s no denying her immense appeal to the youth who are buying millions of her vinyl albums.

Yes, my daughter has 4 of her albums on vinyl.

Yes, my daughter has 4 of her albums on vinyl.

My nephew has LPs of artists he likes, and he does not listen to them (yet). I see no problem with that. Many people collect objects they like and don't "use". Some of these LPs have nice artwork/design.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing