Why Synergy horns?

In another thread I was asked, if I would provide more details about my speakers, so I thought why not?

I have played on active 4 way horn systems since 2016. First iteration was front loaded bass horn, midbass horn, tractrix midrange horn and tractrix tweeter horn. I worked nicely, with all the attributes associated with well implemented horns. Clarity, dynamics, realistic live sound etc.

However some problems will arise, with such horns. First of all, the center to center distance between the different horns is big, compared to the crossover frequencies. We need to be within 1/4 wave in distance at x-over for a seamless transition. For instance if you x-over from the midrange horn to the tweeter horn at 3 KHz the c-to-c distance would have to be 340/3000/4= 2.83 cm (1.11 inch). This is virtually impossible with "normal" horn configurations. This problem rears its ugly head, at every x-over throughout the audio frequency range. As frequency decreases, the wavelengths gets bigger, but so does the horns in the specific bandpass and then c-t-c also increases. It is a linear problem, that can't be solved with the regular approach, aka stacking horns on top of each other. This creates interference problems and lobing in the vertical response curves, that will color the reflection from floor and ceiling. Secondly a large column of vertically stacked horns, will push the sweet spot (SS) further back, for the horns to be perceived as more coherent and integrated, with one another.

But the biggest problem is that almost all horns beam with increasing frequency, it's their way of nature so to speak. What that means, is that the off-axis FR will not be similar to the on-axis FR. This translate into a poor power response, which is not considered a good thing, in terms of best sound quality.

Luckily we can circumvent all these problems with clever engineering and have our cake and eat it too, so to speak. Enter the Synergy horn.synergy.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Finally the synergy horns and subs are measured and adjusted. He found something odd in the measurement of the right channel. It turned out that one of the 12" drivers had a reversed phase. After correcting that and with some more tuning it measures so smooth. Never had or heard sound and capacity like this. We played a lot of music and some at/above concert level and it was crystal clear with a lot of punch and details. Just love it!
IMG20240917182616.jpg

Nice Fjordfunk, a good example of how important measurements are, if not, then just for checking that everything is in order. It is not that easy to hear faults in the frequency response, unless you know what to listen for and are aware of it.
A little story to back it up. Some time ago I had a bunch of people coming in for a listen to the JBL copy setup. It wasn't until after the session, that I found out that the left JBL midbass, for some reason, was muted in the Minidsp. Definitely my (rookie) mistake, but the funny thing is, that nobody discovered or mentioned it. They all, actually, liked what they heard, at least, that was what they said :D

@schlager did you have the chance to participate in Stemholjm's latest review (Radiant speakers)? If so, I would be curious to hear your thoughts. I found the speaker comparisons he made were interesting.

Finally the synergy horns and subs are measured and adjusted. He found something odd in the measurement of the right channel. It turned out that one of the 12" drivers had a reversed phase. After correcting that and with some more tuning it measures so smooth. Never had or heard sound and capacity like this. We played a lot of music and some at/above concert level and it was crystal clear with a lot of punch and details. Just love it!
View attachment 136546
Do you want to share some measurements, if you are okay with that? Frequency response, phase, waterfall but impulse is also interesting to see the room interaction.

Do you want to share some measurements, if you are okay with that? Frequency response, phase, waterfall but impulse is also interesting to see the room interaction.
I would love to but we used his PC for measuring and my PC for programming so i dont have access to it, i am sorry.
But the response was straight, slightly falling against the top. Since this is point sources from 150hz and up the phase was excellent. The subˋs, JBL2242 is mounted more in front of the rest so i believed he had to make a delay but he told me that the inductance of the drivers is making a delay naturally so very little had to be done.
Cheers
Espen

Last edited:

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu