Wilson Audio Maintenance

mati1979

May 20, 2020
hi, i have sophia 2 with Rogue tube amp Cronus Magnum iii (100w)

i see box with manual resistors pair 27.3 ohms for woofer. (default comes with 29,3 ohms)

I wonder if with 27ohms can improve something? help the amp with "less load"? Or does it just go more energy to the mid and tweeter ? (I know that these woofers are problematic because down up 3 ohms.)

Attachments

• IMG_2510.JPG
    IMG_2510.JPG
    1,023 KB · Views: 7

Another Johnson

VIP/Donor
Jan 13, 2022
Music City, USA aka Nashville
Regarding resistor replacement as routine maintenance, I reached out to Wilson’s support staff to get their current (10 years after the OP) take on the idea.

I was told that if you really play the music loud, the power dissipated heats them up. They can degrade due to heat if they’re hot enough long enough.

An example was given by the responder. He had been streaming at pretty much full blast. It was loud enough that the amp self protected and shut down. The speakers did not fail. But the sound wasn’t the same. Replacing the resistors for the tweeters and the midrange drivers returned things to normal.

Sounds like if things don’t sound like they used to and your gear’s up to date on maintenance (good tubes, good caps), then refreshing the resistors might be worth trying.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing