Windows 10 ?

Barry2013

VIP/Donor
Oct 12, 2013
Essex UK
Sorry you are having a problem with the big update. My only complaint is that it takes 60 to 90 minutes.

I have updated two laptops so far without any issues and have a third in process.

Thank you for that information.
The Microsoft tech guy is due to get back to me in about 30 mins so hopefully third time lucky.
I'll update later.

Barry2013

VIP/Donor
Oct 12, 2013
Essex UK
The MS tech guy got back to me promptly at 9.00am to check whether his second attempt to install the update had succeeded.
I advised him that it hadn't, gave him the error message I had received which was that the install had failed during the install phase and that the installation (software) needed to be updated. He had looked at that prior to his second attempt. After checking out the message and error code he advised me that he would have to escalate the problem and we arranged another call for 10am tomorrow to remedy the problem. So it looks as if I might have hit a wider systemic problem with this update.
The PC was automatically returned to the 1904 OS so no problems there.
I am,howver, impressed by the quality of service I have received from the MS Support service even if the problem has not been resolved yet and I'll update tomorrow.

Barry2013

VIP/Donor
Oct 12, 2013
Essex UK
Now less impressed with Microsoft.
Call from Tier 2 tech guy scheduled for this am never came. Chased them and Tier 1 guy very helpful but on transfer to Tier 2 guy I hung on for well over an hour without a response.
I understand from a friend that they are having significant problems with this upgrade which bears out my experience so may be best to defer installing the 2004 update until the current problems are sorted.
WCLVA I hope your outstanding update was successful!

Bobvin

VIP/Donor
Jun 7, 2014
Portland
www.purewatersystems.com
Sorry to hear your update woes. Getting ‘escalated’ just means your first level tech is clueless to your problem or it isn’t yet common enough to be written up in the resolution logs.

I checked for the update on my Surface Pro... it said my device is not yet ready. I searched for what that meant and learned Microsoft is having rollout issues with this latest update, so in my case I suppose I’m happy the update didn’t happen yet. A little odd in that a Microsoft branded tablet (fairly recent) isn’t ready for the update.

One suggestion was to remove any USB drives installed. I did that but still my “surface” not ready—so there must be other issues with solutions pending.

It is always good advice to hold off on new updates and let the kinks get worked out by the other guinea pigs.

WLVCA

Member Sponsor
Nov 2, 2012
Tucson
Barry, I did have a small issue with our third laptop, a relatively new Lenovo Thinkpad.

After the update I received an error message about a missing or corrupt .dll related to Intel Optane. I was able to find a quick fix with a download that a Google search found. What was strange about that was the specs for the device didn't list Optane and the laptop has an ssd.

At this point all 3 devices are running well. Fingers crossed.

Barry2013

VIP/Donor
Oct 12, 2013
Essex UK
Thanks Bob
Ms have emailed me about arranging another call to which I have replied and I await their response, but at least they contacted me.
Glad to hear you sorted your problem and that WLVCA has not had a problem with his 3 devices.
It is the first time I have had any problems with Windows 10 but still a bit of a nuisance.

Barry2013

VIP/Donor
Oct 12, 2013
Essex UK
Ms Tier 2 tech came back to me as arranged this pm.
Installed it on his first attempt after uninstalling Malwarebytes Premium which I have now reinstalled.
All working smoothly I am happy to say.

Barry2013

VIP/Donor
Oct 12, 2013
Essex UK
Thank you
Leaving aside the fact that there were bugs in the 2004 update more serious than you would have expected I have to say that their support was very good.

Barry2013

VIP/Donor
Oct 12, 2013
Essex UK
A couple more updates became available this evening.
An Adobe Flash security update KB4561600 and a new 2004 64 bit cumulative update KB4557957,
Both loaded and installed with no difficulty. The first took about 5 minutes but the latter is bigger one and took a bit under 30 minutes.
It looks as if they are now on top of the earlier problems

rando

Sep 22, 2019
Next version might be interesting. Naming convention aside, it was probably slated for release this year.

Can you imagine the nightmare of Microsoft employees forced to use their own products from home?

Mikem53

Oct 1, 2020
Next version might be interesting. Naming convention aside, it was probably slated for release this year.

Can you imagine the nightmare of Microsoft employees forced to use their own products from home?

I find nothing interesting in an OS still based on a registry file.. Its still an evolutionary OS based on a DOS kernel. After I retired from IBM, I kept busy with a part time business helping non commercial type customers.. Basically I ended up moving over 90% of my clients over to Apple OS X, all happy and never looked back. I spent more time removing viruses and anti virus software, the latter being worse than the virus itself.. I have One system at home running win 10, my gaming system.. DirectX and punkbuster is the only reason I have it.. and I hear Linux now has a directx solution for Some games.. maybe someday..

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing