Wolf von Langa (WVL) Chicago Speakers - Dream Speakers

gleeds

Industry Expert
May 29, 2018
We use the Trafomatic Rhapsody integrated on our WVL Sons and expect it will do very well with their larger models. The Rhapsody delivers 20 watts per channel of Class A power using parallel paired 300Bs.

TA-Rhapsody-heroshot (1) (1).jpg

Joe Cohen

Industry Expert
Jun 10, 2012
A bit late commenting here, having just been told about this discussion.
I guess there’s little WVL user input since all will be too distracted by music to be here in front of a screen!

I’m a dealer in New Zealand & first landed Wolf von Langa’s SON in 2020 with the idea of stocking a higher efficiency speaker design in compact enclosure. You could doubt how a tweeter integrates so well with a 12" driver on first seeing the SON - Wolf certainly succeeded, no doubt due to constructing purpose-built drivers in house. SON greatly exceeded my expectations, proving flexible in placement and giving me the confidence to stock and use a demo pair myself until ordering a pair of Chicago in 2022. Those are not much bigger in footprint and in no way imposing for a dual 15” open baffle.

Speaker location isn’t betrayed in the spread of soundstage - being very wide and deep. Chicago energises air between speaker and listener, presenting realistic midrange with greater body and nuance over the SON. Combined with room voids, glass, flexing wooden floors I get no boom, but little room-bass gain in this space. Speaker placement is critical along with alignment to reduce room resonances at the listening position without excessive use of room treatments (apart from records which are of course essential). Placing the Chicago in this difficult room was a greater challenge but I worked out solutions over time. I’d ordered the top mounted AMT but just couldn’t get that to work with a low ceiling and closer listening distance for this space. The room & high tweeter position presented a phase issue only solved by installing the AMT into the mid baffle as on previous versions and adjusting the angle.

I’ve found Chicago more tolerant of lower-watt amps & despite similar looking efficiency have more drive/ higher volume capability than the SON. Individually adjustable upper and lower 15” bass on U-baffle provide delicacy and impact when needed. Audio Frame design and crossover jumpers offer a number of possibilities for mid and tweeter adjustment. My office desk is behind the speakers, where I can also enjoy music - another benefit to open baffle. To tame resonance in that alcove a small amount of Mundorf Angel Hair is placed behind the midrange frame and some other damping on bass frame walls. From delivered setting, there’s a narrow range of adjustment in field coil current for correct bass/ mid damping: useful for amplifier matching.

It may seem a stretch to call the Audio Frame series a bargain but I’d go further and call it a gift from the designer. Wolf has dedicated decades to designing field-coil motors and paper-silk drivers from a deep appreciation of vintage audio and a commitment to overcome past compromises. I can relate having been a collector and user of a wide variety of speakers from high efficiency Altec & JBL, vintage Tannoy, wideband drivers from Klangfilm to Lowther (Accustats, Quads, also many more recent speaker types both owned and traded-in). I've no interest in headphones, vintage speakers or others since using Audio Frame Chicago in my personal system.

View attachment 119996
Thank you very much for your description. We exhibited with the London at the California Audio Show in September (www.lotusgroupusa.com) using SW1X Audio Designs tube equipment and PranaWire cabling. I found the London in to be spectacular loudspeaker. A friend of mine walked in the room and after a minute said, “The bass…it’s like velvet with a punch.” That punch I would add was always in the service of and appropriate to the music being played. We used no room treatments, even though they were offered to us. They just weren’t necessary.

ilkeresmer

Dec 25, 2016
I am also listing a parallel single ended 2x25W a class new audio frontiers 845 signature edition amp. That amp. plays really amazing with WWL Son... They call this amp. as baby ongaku :)

Attachments

• WhatsApp Image 2023-11-17 at 11.14.14.jpeg
    WhatsApp Image 2023-11-17 at 11.14.14.jpeg
    107 KB · Views: 14

davidavdavid

Jun 30, 2014
Columbus, Ohio, USA
david.com
My Wolf Von Langa SONs shall be arriving this coming Monday (fingers crossed, making it harder to type) and I will be pairing the speakers with my English Acoustics 41C (h/t Pete Farrow. The amp just received a wonderful write-up and front cover love from Hi-FI + Magazine). The preamplifier in the mix will be ampsandsound's Stereo Preamplifier (h/t Justin Weber).

This is going to be fun
41c.jpg sp.jpg

WLP3

Apr 6, 2022
Just upgraded my SONS to the new WVL ULTIMA! They are SONS on steroids! Much more articulate nuanced.

The ULTIMA uses an upgraded cabinet with the same dimensions as the SON with upgraded crossover components including Dueland capacitors and a much upgraded PSU. The field coil utilizes a new winding technique and chassis.

One happy chappy. Thanks, Colin!

Zeotrope

Feb 11, 2021
France, Canada
Just upgraded my SONS to the new WVL ULTIMA! They are SONS on steroids! Much more articulate nuanced.

The ULTIMA uses an upgraded cabinet with the same dimensions as the SON with upgraded crossover components including Dueland capacitors and a much upgraded PSU. The field coil utilizes a new winding technique and chassis.

One happy chappy. Thanks, Colin!
Congrats! I’m a happy WVL customer (custom field coil power supply) and use Dueland caps in my own horns, so I “get it”!
Is there a link with more information on the ULTIMA? I don’t see them on the WVL site…

WLP3

Apr 6, 2022
Congrats! I’m a happy WVL customer (custom field coil power supply) and use Dueland caps in my own horns, so I “get it”!
Is there a link with more information on the ULTIMA? I don’t see them on the WVL site…
There really isn’t. Only a spec sheet. It is known as the WVL 12739 ULTIMA

infinitely baffled

VIP/Donor
Jul 2, 2015
Scotland
The website is a bit random. If you specify English as the language the Wagyu subwoofers disappear altogether.
Perhaps they only sing in German?

Reactions: DetroitVinylRob

gestalt

Aug 3, 2019
Nashville, TN
gestalt.audio
Is there a link with more information on the ULTIMA?
ULTIMA is a new model that completes the evolution of the STAGE and SON family. We're finalizing all the website content and informational material; I'll have more soon. :D

I can say that it takes an already remarkable loudspeaker in the SON to a significantly higher performance level while retaining the same lovely form factor. I'm very excited about it.

thomask

Dec 9, 2018
Washington State, US
ULTIMA is a new model that completes the evolution of the STAGE and SON family. We're finalizing all the website content and informational material; I'll have more soon. :D

I can say that it takes an already remarkable loudspeaker in the SON to a significantly higher performance level while retaining the same lovely form factor. I'm very excited about it.
Will you display Ultima at Axpona 2024?

gleeds

Industry Expert
May 29, 2018
I can't wait to hear them Colin. I'll bet they will sound amazing with the Trafomatic Rhapsody parallel single-ended integrated (20 SE watts per side) you will have in house soon. I'll be headed to Florida this month and will do my best to visit Nashville to hear the pairing for myself. In the meantime, I'm absolutely loving my Son's but realize the Ultima will add a whole other set of gears!

Sorry for the car talk boys - been shopping for a car the past month and that's cluttering my brain:)

Reactions: gestalt

infinitely baffled

VIP/Donor
Jul 2, 2015
Scotland
Any person has experience with the new WVL WAGYU subwoofer? Especially in tandem (or used together with) any other WVL speakers?
+1
I'd also love to read any impressions of the Wagyu subs, if anyone is familiar with them?

infinitely baffled

VIP/Donor
Jul 2, 2015
Scotland

I'm grappling with contradictory urges:
i definitely prefer open baffle speakers to horns,
and i definitely want the most dynamic variant.

The obvious solution would be to have the Berlin bass configuration, but with open baffle mid / tops. However WVL say they don't offer that type, they feel the mid / tops need horn loading to match the extra bass output of the Berlin configuration.

I'd love to hear any more impressions of Berlin v Chicago?

WLP3

Apr 6, 2022
I can't wait to hear them Colin. I'll bet they will sound amazing with the Trafomatic Rhapsody parallel single-ended integrated (20 SE watts per side) you will have in house soon. I'll be headed to Florida this month and will do my best to visit Nashville to hear the pairing for myself. In the meantime, I'm absolutely loving my Son's but realize the Ultima will add a whole other set of gears!

Sorry for the car talk boys - been shopping for a car the past month and that's cluttering my brain:)
Didn’t last long in Colin’s house…in mine now!

Willgolf

Jul 21, 2019
Gold Canyon, Az
Reactions: Mendel and WLP3

gleeds

Industry Expert
May 29, 2018
Reactions: WLP3

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing