World Cup predictions anyone?

What an outstanding performance by the Mexican goalie. His agent must be getting a few calls as he's unsigned.

What an outstanding performance by the Mexican goalie. His agent must be getting a few calls as he's unsigned.

Peformance for the history books. 2nd man of the match was the referee for not getting sucked into the amateur dramatics on the pitch after each foul.

Lousy game.

But we could've won at least 1x0, if Ochoa didn't have such an awesome performance. My bet was actually on the 1x0, as I knew it'd be a tough game...

alexandre

Peformance for the history books. 2nd man of the match was the referee for not getting sucked into the amateur dramatics on the pitch after each foul.

Agreed.

Lousy game.

But we could've won at least 1x0, if Ochoa didn't have such an awesome performance. My bet was actually on the 1x0, as I knew it'd be a tough game...

alexandre

thats karma for referring to Agentines as "bastards" in your other post :rolleyes: Brasil will eat some humble pie at this WC, home field advantage or not.

Hahaha!

It was my duty as a brazilian to refer our southern neighbours as "bastards", anything nicer than that, and it'd be miscaracterization :D

Our team isn't the greatest, and the people know it. The mood here is very muted, very cautious, and dare I say, humble. It's the other teams that are coming here and proclaiming we're one of the top contenders.

In previous World Cups, we had a variety of players to choose from, and discussions of who should be picked and who should be off the list. On this Cup, everybody knew there weren't that many other QUALITY players (maybe one or two) other than the ones the coach picked. We're going through a pretty bad batch of players...

That's what's so great about football, and what keeps people following it. One team might be invincible one year, and utter crap the next. See Spain. Or France.

alexandre

As a dispassionate objective observer I would have little to cheer about as a USA fan. They were outplayed by a mediocre side, were hanging on by a hair, created nothing the entire match, and magically pulled out a win with two nice goals. At the current level of play they should probably start packing for the return flight, although a lot is possible in soccer.
That's the spirit, Edorr. :D

thats karma for referring to Agentines as "bastards" in your other post :rolleyes: Brasil will eat some humble pie at this WC, home field advantage or not.

Brazil played badly and still had 4 glorious chances. If Big Phil gets the hint and discard Fred (and Paulinho), then Brazil has the potential to be awesome.

Where is Ganso??????

Hahaha!

It was my duty as a brazilian to refer our southern neighbours as "bastards", anything nicer than that, and it'd be miscaracterization :D

Our team isn't the greatest, and the people know it. The mood here is very muted, very cautious, and dare I say, humble. It's the other teams that are coming here and proclaiming we're one of the top contenders.

In previous World Cups, we had a variety of players to choose from, and discussions of who should be picked and who should be off the list. On this Cup, everybody knew there weren't that many other QUALITY players (maybe one or two) other than the ones the coach picked. We're going through a pretty bad batch of players...

That's what's so great about football, and what keeps people following it. One team might be invincible one year, and utter crap the next. See Spain. Or France.

alexandre

I was in Buenos a decade ago and spoke with people on the street (where they thing Diegos is another way to spell Dios). They all said that Maradona was better than Pele, no question (I am a Pele fan).

Interestingly, when I asked which nation was better at football, I was surprised by their answer.....Brazil! They said that brazil is HUGE and it is to Argentina's credit that they were even competitive with Brazil given the size disparity. When I pressed and asked how they could say this when Brazil was the "hated" enemy, they said they didnt hate Brazil at all. Indeed, it was thanks to Brazil for their tourism and other support that kept the Argi ecomomy from collapsing when the rest of the world abandoned them.

I dont know if this attitude still persists today, but it was a refreshing surprise. Of course, on the pitch it emnity, not amitie! LoL

Of course if the Argies get to the final against Germany/Italy, the majority of Brazillians will support them to keep the Cup in South America during a South American hosting. Latin solidarity...maybe if NL gets to the final, there may be some sympathy...

Brazil played badly and still had 4 glorious chances. If Big Phil gets the hint and discard Fred (and Paulinho), then Brazil has the potential to be awesome.

Where is Ganso??????

They have a potential to win games against weaker opponents without help from the ref. however, this team has no potential to be awesome. They totally lack creativity. Compare with Spain in its glory days. You'd watch in awe. Brazil completely lacks the quality on the team to truly impress with sparkling soccer.

Edorr,

This is the team that sparkled last year in winning the Confed Cup, thrashing Spain in the process. They look tired and jaded in comparison this year. Did you see the Games last year?

I was in Buenos a decade ago and spoke with people on the street (where they thing Diegos is another way to spell Dios). They all said that Maradona was better than Pele, no question (I am a Pele fan).

Interestingly, when I asked which nation was better at football, I was surprised by their answer.....Brazil! They said that brazil is HUGE and it is to Argentina's credit that they were even competitive with Brazil given the size disparity. When I pressed and asked how they could say this when Brazil was the "hated" enemy, they said they didnt hate Brazil at all. Indeed, it was thanks to Brazil for their tourism and other support that kept the Argi ecomomy from collapsing when the rest of the world abandoned them.

I dont know if this attitude still persists today, but it was a refreshing surprise. Of course, on the pitch it emnity, not amitie! LoL

Of course if the Argies get to the final against Germany/Italy, the majority of Brazillians will support them to keep the Cup in South America during a South American hosting. Latin solidarity...maybe if NL gets to the final, there may be some sympathy...

wisnon,

Perfect, you got the rivalry thing right :)
Up until a few years ago, when we had 3 World Cups, they seemed to think they could catch us, as we had a pretty bad run there, post 1982, and they had Maradona. That's when they started thinking they were somehow better than brazilians :)

We are somewhat mutually dependant, economically speaking. Argentinian middle class love to frolick in the brazilian beaches, and the brazilian middle class love the cheap tourism in Buenos Aires.

And, if we're to tell the truth, they're better than us in a few key areas, other than football. Their arts, specially movies and music, are so superior it's not even funny.

alexandre

Edorr,

This is the team that sparkled last year in winning the Confed Cup, thrashing Spain in the process. They look tired and jaded in comparison this year. Did you see the Games last year?

No, so I have never seen this team play well, and don't see the potential. However, if they have done it in the past I guess they can do it again. They are under a lot of pressure so may be nerves play a role. I still would prefer holland (assuming they win the group) to avoid brazil in the knockout stage, so I hope Brazil wins their group.

From what I've seen so far, Brasil isn't going to the Final. I can't see it. And Argentina is no shoe-in either.

No, so I have never seen this team play well, and don't see the potential. However, if they have done it in the past I guess they can do it again. They are under a lot of pressure so may be nerves play a role. I still would prefer holland (assuming they win the group) to avoid brazil in the knockout stage, so I hope Brazil wins their group.

I'm not sure about that. Holland won a come-from-behind game at the last WC against Brasil. I think I'm more nervous about Mexico.

Last edited:
What a great game and a real nail-biter for me. Man, the Aussies can play some football.

NED 3-AUS 2

Well, I predicted on another site that USA would go win-draw-draw in the group stage to move through with Germany. That was before the tournament started. Now I don't know what to expect from the USA-Portugal match now that key players are missing on both sides.

2-0 Chile at the half. Spain needs a tie to stay alive.

Bye bye Spain! :D

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu