World Cup predictions anyone?

No, so I have never seen this team play well, and don't see the potential. However, if they have done it in the past I guess they can do it again. They are under a lot of pressure so may be nerves play a role. I still would prefer holland (assuming they win the group) to avoid brazil in the knockout stage, so I hope Brazil wins their group.

Its actually good for Brazil to get nervous now, rather than later. They need to bring on more of the bench to put pressure on the poorly performing starters too. Hulk for centre fwd over Fred. Fred should not even make the bench. LoL

Its actually good for Brazil to get nervous now, rather than later. They need to bring on more of the bench to put pressure on the poorly performing starters too. Hulk for centre fwd over Fred. Fred should not even make the bench. LoL

Fred has saved our bacon in more than one ocasion, so the coach is thankful for that. He's the old school center-forward, seemingly just sitting there in the opponent's area. But he's got the ability to score better than most. He's not skillful, and he knows it (along with everybody else), but he scores. The same applies for his club life.

Hulk tends to play more on the sides of the field, not as a centre forward. Felipão did the right thing by swapping him for Jô during the Mexico match, perhaps trying something different, as Jô moves a little bit more than Fred.

But al these setbacks today (Holland, Spain) only demonstrate the high level of this year's Cup, perhaps the best in the last 20 years. Who would've thought Australia would face Holland on an equal basis? Mexico was always a nuisance to Brazil, but we normally beat them handily, but this year, they clearly stepped up their game, and so did Chile. All the results are leading to a Brazil x Chile at the next stage, which is scary, but not as scary as Brazil x Holland :)

alexandre

Agreed Alex, but Fred is faaar off the boil now. No form at all. Its fine when the rest of the team has energy and movement, but they dont yet.

I still feel the players are there that can sparkle if a fuse is lit.

I agree as well with Alexandre about this WC perhaps being the best in the last 20 years. Gone are the days of 4-5 team dominance and the quality of play is now much more evenly distributed. I think that because the game has embraced a more offensive mindset is the key in that.

But al these setbacks today (Holland, Spain) only demonstrate the high level of this year's Cup, perhaps the best in the last 20 years. Who would've thought Australia would face Holland on an equal basis? Mexico was always a nuisance to Brazil, but we normally beat them handily, but this year, they clearly stepped up their game, and so did Chile. All the results are leading to a Brazil x Chile at the next stage, which is scary, but not as scary as Brazil x Holland :)

alexandre

Croatia can still beat Mexico, and Chile can beat Holland. Chile looked strong, Mexico was saved by the goalie and poor Brazilian finishing. Next round match ups are anyone's guess.

Another interesting scenario is this. If brazil comes in second in the group, which is possible, Chile and Holland could be tempted to lose their match, to avoid Brazil in the next round.

Last edited:
edorr,

That's why they host these decisive games simultaneously, to avoid chicanery :)

As for Fred, yes, there's been calls for the team to ditch the traditional #9 center-forward position, since we don't have a reference there anyway, and have Neymar as forward-midfield, supported by the other midfielders and the wingers (Hulk, Oscar, and to a lesser extent, Daniel Alves).

Given the high quality of the teams at this WC, this seems like a more reasonable proposition, instead of having an easily blocked, barely moving #9 sitting there. But the key to every scenario, with or without a #9, is to have a fully functioning midfield, which we didn't have so far for these last two games. Paulinho needs to seriously shape up, as he's supposed to be the one driving the game forward, and I'd sooner replace him than Fred.

alexandre

agreed.
I agree as well with Alexandre about this WC perhaps being the best in the last 20 years. Gone are the days of 4-5 team dominance and the quality of play is now much more evenly distributed. I think that because the game has embraced a more offensive mindset is the key in that.

I have to say that I am very impressed by the Spanish big fail. BTW, that's messing with my fantasy FIFA WC and my poules :p
OTOH, I feel some pleasure in seeing a vision of soccer (that made me tired already) going at the end of its parabole.

I agree with those that are highlighting a great balance in the World Cup. Apparently, the overall physical shape is getting more important than tradition and technicality. I am not sure that this is a soccer I can like better than in the past, but definitely this tournament is challenging.

I cannot even say I am confidently expecting a Brazilian success. The team is, for now, way below my expectations. At the moment I see Germany as the best team. Holland did great with Spain, but just fine with Australia. Argentina won without shining and Italy is capable of everything (from extremely bad to surprisingly good).

As Italian, I have never started a WC with such low expectations from the Italian performance. Now I am waiting for our matches with more excitement :)

Let's see what's going to happen. As we say in Italy, the ball is round-shaped, so it can roll wherever!

edorr,

That's why they host these decisive games simultaneously, to avoid chicanery :)

In the Brazil coming in 2nd scenario this wont help. They play the 2 games in the group simultaneously, but when holland plays Chile, group A results will be known (I believe).

In the Brazil coming in 2nd scenario this wont help. They play the 2 games in the group simultaneously, but when holland plays Chile, group A results will be known (I believe).

Actually I checked and holland chile is played before the group A matches, so then cannot throw the game to avoid Brazil.

Personally I'm not favouring any team to play against us. We beat Brasil in a 2-1 come-from-behind win at the last WC.....Chile to me is the great unknown.

Personally I'm not favouring any team to play against us. We beat Brasil in a 2-1 come-from-behind win at the last WC.....Chile to me is the great unknown.

I guess the crowd against Chile would be 80% Chilean so it will be an away game one way or the other.

2-0 Columbia....Two beauties as well!

2-1 now...another gorgeous goal!

Simply wonderful second half. I really, really enjoyed this game!

Great matches so far, we had a great game with Uru-Eng. Looks England will leave the group just as Spain.

Few Euro teams left!

Italy has to win their match against URUGUAY. This is too close to call as either team has the potential to win it. Italy is out if they lose.
Switzerland has to beat HONDURAS, which they should. They can still get through with a loss if ECUADOR loses to France, but it will depend of goals differential.
Portugal needs to win their match against the U.S.A., although a draw still keeps them alive. A German win and a Portugal loss means they're out.
Belgium and Russia have not impressed, although I do think both will go through.
Bosnia still has a chance.

When did referee's start spray painting lines and circles on the field for players to stand during Penalty Kicks?

I believe it's a new introduction this WC. I actually like this idea as it keeps positioning distance in place.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing