YG Hailey 2.2, Magico M2 or Avantgarde Duo XD ?

Hi all,

Avante-Gardes.jpg
I am considering to upgrade my speakers and I would like this upgrade be “significant”.
I am currently using Avantgarde Zero TA XD that I am enjoying very much. It’s a fantastic value for money speakers ! Now I would like to keep their main strengths ( dynamics,transparency,difficult room “friendly”) and improve in terms of subtlety, decay and layering .
My room is small / medium , pretty “bright”, speakers will be relatively close from the front and rear walls and my listening is distance is pretty short (2.5m/3m).
So I am looking for a speaker with a “limited” footprint.
In terms of music, my taste is very eclectic so I am looking for speakers able to be very good “all rounder”.

I have preselected 3/4models :
- YG Hailey 2.2
- Magico M2
- Avantgarde Duo XD
- potentially TAD CR1 + subs

Duo XD would be the logical upgrade path but I feel those relatively big horns need space to breathe...
YG Hail 2.2 : was not considering them initially but after a superb (and totally random ) listening session I couldn’t exclude them any longer ! and I really like the possibility to upgrade further on ( but the 2.2 model is anyway just updated)

Also my current front gear is Accuphase C2850/A70 (have also a 300B SET amp ) and given the significant investment ahead of me, if those new speakers could be compatible with them ( even if not THE perfect match) it would help !

What do you think?

Thanks
Alex

PS : there are many other very good speakers/ brands but for many different reasons those 4models are my short list

Last edited by a moderator:
Something seriously wrong there. The ’sound‘ should be a set of 3D instrument and vocalist images filling the room....not coming from anywhere specific like wall-ceiling intersections. Of course it all depends on the recording...I have a couple where the soundstage never gets above a meter high, but those are rare. Also no 2 recordings have the same sound stage....they’re all different so the soundstage should not be a fixed presence. If it is its being generated by the system rather than by the recording....not so good!

There are several things here, and I know that audiophilia comes in many flavors, but I am assuming an audio system that can reproduce imaging and soundstaging (like all the YGs), not only project a "wall of sound". With such a system you can tell where the center of the soundstage of any good recording is. When you play many different recordings, you get an idea of the ability of the system to reproduce every dimension of those recordings, which is something mainly (not all, of course) due to the speakers. For example, many years ago I was familiar with the original EgglestonWorks Andra, a short speaker that could nevertheless project soundstage height, all the way to the ceiling, if it was in the recording. This is also true of the current DeVore Orangutan O/96. On the other hand, I remember listening at length to the then vaunted Vandersteen 5 and 5A and their soundstages were always at speaker-top height or barely above it. Going back to my comment, why is it that most tall tower speakers are double D'Appolito designs? Because the tweeter and midrange should be at or near ear height. Otherwise, because of beaming, the high frequencies will droop too much and also because --if the system can reproduce it-- the soundstage will seem to come from somewhere up there as in the Sonja 2.3, unless you sit very far from the speakers. That's why Wilson Audio points their midrange-tweeters to the listener in their tall speakers.

Reactions: QuadDiffuser
If you're going to go for in-home demos, I'd push for the M400s as well, with your existing preamp/sources.

Quick update on my amp’s journey:

1) Soulution series 7 gears have been returned. It Seems I am not the only customer of the dealer hahaha... Might be only a temporary goodbye.

2) Pending my final choice I have been granted a Luxman M900u+ Soulution series 5 preamp on loan. Can I live with this combo ? Temporarily of course yes it’s pretty good but it won’t be the one. Compared to the series7 combo , I’ve lost in terms of resolution, dynamics and 3D and it’s hard to go back...
3) I listened a second time to the Momentum M400.Much better than the first time: speakers/room interaction was better controlled so could focus on the music and not only on the bass. Very thick tone with still a lot of details. Definitely a “bottom up” amp. However I am not 100% convinced. Lacking a bit of sparkle and dimensionality but upstream gears have their impact as well. Still negotiating a home demo. Let’s see.
4) Last but not least, a new contender is on my list. Actually it has been suggested earlier in the thread: Dartzeel preamp + stereo power amp !
I went unexpectedly to the dealer. The combo was not plugged in but it was sitting in the so called “showroom”. So called because there were gears everywhere and when I say everywhere it s really everywhere. I had a better listening experience by standing up than sitting ...
Despite those “extreme” listening conditions, I have been amazed by the performance ( and we were not using the bnc connection). Definitely above expectations !( I admit that I had a negative biais) . Now it was a short listening session in a very unfamiliar environment.
I have been able to negotiate a home demo for next weekend. Looking forward to it!
For the Dartzeel experts, anything to do (or not to do) to optimize the demo?

I like all those speakers. Let me cut to the chase(capture?). I picked the Sanderssound electronic and magic m2 as co-best in show.
One is a bargain.
So the m2 is my choice. It's does require a hefty and expensive supporting cast.

Despite the chaotic situation in HK, the Darts arrived safely home ! Unfortunately the demo went short, I could not make it work....
First I tried the zeel connection and got a terrible buzz sound. I switched to rca and then xlr it was better but could hear a hiss on my speakers. I finally settled to rca but the then preamp could not switch on... I said myself ,ok let's try the power amp and it turned out there was again a frightening buzz sound...
I unplugged everything,the dealer came, we tried different combo but unfortunately none of them worked... We could not find any rationale explanation as the combo was working fine 5 days ago in his showroom...
Too bad, the Dart's did not enjoy my home. So be it . The dealer will let me know early next week if the gears are working fine back into the showroom...

The YGs had electronics and sources that were a fraction that were used on the Magicos.
The Luxman is a good amp, incredible value for money like you noticed, but no bass champs. I'd use a different preamp on them as well, to get the most bass impact.
And, of course, the spikes. Showing the speakers without the spikes is just wrong.
What other electronics/sources does the YG dealer have? Soulution is way down the list of (my) recommended components for YGs.
Hello, Have you tried the T+A PA3100HV Amps on the Ygs?

Alex, did you ever get a chance to listen to the TAD CR1's with subs? I know that might not be easy to find. Thats what I run, plus some 'stat super tweeters facing the rear wall, which turn the CR1's in a dipole above 8K. I've had the TAD since 2010 and they've always sounded great in the sense that ordinary recordings (non audiophile) which can sound rather thin and flat in some very high end systems, but on TADs have so much inner detail, they actually sound like audiophile recordings.

The only problem with owning the TAD's all these years is that it took a long time for the ancillary gear to evolve to a level to allow the speakers to show what they are capable of.

There was often a sense of the sound coming directly out of the speaker, and one could easily hear some hardness and with digital a bit of distortion.

The latest Wisdom firmware in my Directstream DAC combined with ethernet isolation and reclocking via EtherRegen has truly transformed the sound of the speakers. They now throw an incredible soundstage with amazing height and depth and portray each instrument in its own acoustic capsule. The hardness, subtle distortion and hint of shoutiness I attributed to the Beryllium are now replaced with creamy goodness and incredible intimacy of sound. The Phase accuracy of the coincident drivers now seem to make more sense than ever. I feel it was a design ahead if it's time, and Andrew Jones' best work (along with the larger Ref 1's, which I could have had but chose to go the smaller route with the CR'1)

Having tubes in the system is quite helpful. The rest of my gear is not extremely expensive either. PS audio DS DAC with Bridge2, PS BHK 300 hybrid amps with NOS tubes (an amazing match for the TAD's) Atma-sphere all tube MP-1 pre, a pair of Velodyn DD10+ subs, Enigmcoustics stat tweeters, all powered off a Niagara 7000 conditioner. (I won't go into my elaborate vinyl rig) The cables are shockingly innexpensive - short run of quad wire speaker, plus balanced mogami gold mic cables!!!

I get to hear live acoustic music up close quite often and I find the TAD tends to reproduce the leading edge of the wavefront and inherent natural inner detail that live music has.

If you're every in NYC and want to listen give me a shout.

Last edited:
Alex, did you ever get a chance to listen to the TAD CR1's with subs? I know that might not be easy to find. Thats what I run, plus some 'stat super tweeters facing the rear wall, which turn the CR1's in a dipole above 8K. I've had the TAD since 2010 and they've always sounded great in the sense that ordinary recordings (non audiophile) which can sound rather thin and flat in some very high end systems, but on TADs have so much inner detail, they actually sound like audiophile recordings.

The only problem with owning the TAD's all these years is that it took a long time for the ancillary gear to evolve to a level to allow the speakers to show what they are capable of.

There was often a sense of the sound coming directly out of the speaker, and one could easily hear some hardness and with digital a bit of distortion.

The latest Wisdom firmware in my Directstream DAC combined with ethernet isolation and reclocking via EtherRegen has truly transformed the sound of the speakers. They now throw an incredible soundstage with amazing height and depth and portray each instrument in its own acoustic capsule. The hardness, subtle distortion and hint of shoutiness I attributed to the Beryllium are now replaced with creamy goodness and incredible intimacy of sound. The Phase accuracy of the coincident drivers now seem to make more sense than ever. I feel it was a design ahead if it's time, and Andrew Jones' best work (along with the larger Ref 1's, which I could have had but chose to go the smaller route with the CR'1)

Having tubes in the system is quite helpful. The rest of my gear is not extremely expensive either. PS audio DS DAC with Bridge2, PS BHK 300 hybrid amps with NOS tubes (an amazing match for the TAD's) Atma-sphere all tube MP-1 pre, a pair of Velodyn DD10+ subs, Enigmcoustics stat tweeters, all powered off a Niagara 7000 conditioner. (I won't go into my elaborate vinyl rig) The cables are shockingly innexpensive - short run of quad wire speaker, plus balanced mogami gold mic cables!!!

I get to hear live acoustic music up close quite often and I find the TAD tends to reproduce the leading edge of the wavefront and inherent natural inner detail that live music has.

If you're every in NYC and want to listen give me a shout.

I did listen to the CR1 years ago and it was definitely an excellent speaker giving you transparency, dynamics, accuracy. At the same time,it’s a revealing speaker so needs a careful setup. My room being on the « bright » side , I decided not to pursue. The new TAD floorstander is said to be excellent but did not have the opportunity to listen to it.
Anyway on my side my speakers journey is done : the Sonja 2.2 should be home soon.
The amp choice is a headache however. I can not get home demo on some of my shortlisted gears, so hard to make a final choice...

I did listen to the CR1 years ago and it was definitely an excellent speaker giving you transparency, dynamics, accuracy. At the same time,it’s a revealing speaker so needs a careful setup. My room being on the « bright » side , I decided not to pursue. The new TAD floorstander is said to be excellent but did not have the opportunity to listen to it.
Anyway on my side my speakers journey is done : the Sonja 2.2 should be home soon.
The amp choice is a headache however. I can not get home demo on some of my shortlisted gears, so hard to make a final choice...

@moby2004 Is Audionet available in your part of the world? If so, they pair well with YG.

As long as I won’t be able listen to the Audionet combo ( and who knows when we will be able to travel without any kind of quarantine hassle...) the quest is still “on”. Soulution 711 is more than doing the job in the same time ...
I might give a try to the Mephisto stereo to have an additional reference but the footprint will be incredibly challenging in my room.

As long as I won’t be able listen to the Audionet combo ( and who knows when we will be able to travel without any kind of quarantine hassle...) the quest is still “on”. Soulution 711 is more than doing the job in the same time ...
I might give a try to the Mephisto stereo to have an additional reference but the footprint will be incredibly challenging in my room.

I think mephisto makes a lot of sense based on what I've read.

Despite the chaotic situation in HK, the Darts arrived safely home ! Unfortunately the demo went short, I could not make it work....
First I tried the zeel connection and got a terrible buzz sound. I switched to rca and then xlr it was better but could hear a hiss on my speakers. I finally settled to rca but the then preamp could not switch on... I said myself ,ok let's try the power amp and it turned out there was again a frightening buzz sound...
I unplugged everything,the dealer came, we tried different combo but unfortunately none of them worked... We could not find any rationale explanation as the combo was working fine 5 days ago in his showroom...
Too bad, the Dart's did not enjoy my home. So be it . The dealer will let me know early next week if the gears are working fine back into the showroom...
Can you try Boulder amplification?

Relentless :D
Seriously, the S250 is more than enough. If you can manage M400s, of course that'll be better. But a S250 will be gorgeous. Either your Accuphase preamp, or preferably, a nice rich tube preamp (just make sure it's balanced), will turn your room/system into a time machine.

cheers,
Alex
Alex can you recommend any valve pre-amps that fit your description?
Asking for a friend.
Who uses Boulder power amps ;)

Can't go wrong with an ARC REF 10.

The Nagra HD preamp is mind blowing, but costly. These are both excellent preamps that are rich and textured, but do not mess with the amp's characteristic. So the Boulder's tight, deep bass will be intact.
May i ask what you think of VAC pre-amps?

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing