Your All Time Favorite Preamplifiers?

Echos

Jul 14, 2019
getting away from the favorite preamp discussion, and talking 'preamp' philosophy, i have some strong views. at modest levels of gear a preamp reduces performance. extra interconnects, modest circuits, and compromised build quality do restrict transparency and get in the way of the musical message. sources going direct mostly result in a net gain. sometimes integrated units with source and active preamp in a single chassis, are best at low price points.

so i do agree with you in those cases.

less is more.......until...........more is more.

at a certain point not having an active preamp will reduce energy and substance from the music. better sources and better amps deserve the better signal delivery that a top preamp can deliver. hard to define where that line is as far as dollars. but it's easy to hear.

at the top of the food chain the very top level preamps apply extreme power supply, tech and chassis approaches to make their case. they 'dig deeper' than passive can manage to do. and many times synergize with and optimize the amps too.
@Mike Lavigne - In your opinion what is that price point when less is more ? I have been hearing this in my system where I was going from a mola mola tambaqui -> ps audio bhk pre. In effect there was attenuation 6v -> 4v and from 44 ohms -> about 200. Yes the sound was 'warmer' at the expense of 'resolution'.

Adco

Feb 1, 2021
For me, as someone who aspires to the very best from SOTA Digital, I long believed in "The Best Preamp is no Preamp" edict. That is, a properly designed DAC with the best implemention of a volume control (like the non decimating oversampled DVC in the Mola Mola Tambaqui or by control of the reference voltage to the actual DAC chips like those in the Metrum or Sonnet) simply could not be equaled, let alone beat.

For me now, the very best preamps, not only "do no harm" but also excel in terms of drive and dynamics, which one would expect, but also in terms of detail, air, and low level resolution!!

On top of all the above, the very best Preamps, when inserted between ones' DAC and Amplifiers, can inject a level of musicality, and indeed HUMANITY, that makes it so much easier to connect with the Artist and the performance.*

* Is this effect due to the 'colorizing' or 'editorializing' effect said to be present in essentially all preamps (usually a detractors or purists)? Poviding said preamp first 'does no harm'
I simply don't know and don't care.:)
Hmm, I don’t post here often but I’d politely push back here a bit. I think associated gear is a huge factor here. I have had the Metrum and the Sonet dacs ( both extreamly good at their price point) and currently own an Auralic 3 box stack ( streamer, clock, dac) and in all cases having my Jeff Rowland Corus preamp with the Power Supply unit in between my Clayton Class A amps is far more engaging and realistic

so , the gear combo like plays into this

Audiophile Bill

Mar 23, 2015
Mayer 10y preferentially full silver differential for me.

Acci

May 10, 2015
My favorite preamp is the Tidal Audio Presencio.

Bert

Reactions: shakti

Maril555

Jun 26, 2014

Audire

VIP/Donor
Jan 18, 2019
FL Panhandle
The best we’ve heard to date in the EMM Labs PRE. It was an improvement over the Pass XP-22 (which is very good).

We have a Thrax and a Vitus Signature coming in for an eval though.

cratin

Jul 26, 2012
Seoul, Korea
The best Best Pre, which I have came across in +30 yrs in hifi would be....... Cello Suite. Since then, I tried many different brands for many years...which couldn't last for 1~2 years... Finally settled down on Viola Audio Lab Solo a few years ago. Since then... My search... ended. Well, Solo is virtually the same design as Cello Suite with some improvement in circuit & PS.

Reactions: Bso

Atmasphere

Industry Expert
May 4, 2010
St. Paul, MN
www.atma-sphere.com
The best Best Pre, which I have came across in +30 yrs in hifi would be....... Cello Suite. Since then, I tried many different brands for many years...which couldn't last for 1~2 years... Finally settled down on Viola Audio Lab Solo a few years ago. Since then... My search... ended. Well, Solo is virtually the same design as Cello Suite with some improvement in circuit & PS.
If you own one of those I recommend replacing all the power supply filter capacitors. I've shown with Classic Audio Loudspeakers for many years at audio shows and the owner (John Wolff) had one of those (he since bought one of our MP-1s). About 15 years ago we were at a show and it developed a hum, which I traced to a bad filter cap and was able to replace so the show could go on; it was already old enough that filter caps in it were already failing... At this point its unlikely that the power supplies in any of those are performing to spec. When filter caps go bad, they have a disenchanting tendency to damage expensive and rare power transformers. Get it done.

Reactions: dan31

AMR / iFi audio

Industry Expert
Aug 21, 2019
UK
ifi-audio.com
If you own one of those I recommend replacing all the power supply filter capacitors. I've shown with Classic Audio Loudspeakers for many years at audio shows and the owner (John Wolff) had one of those (he since bought one of our MP-1s). About 15 years ago we were at a show and it developed a hum, which I traced to a bad filter cap and was able to replace so the show could go on; it was already old enough that filter caps in it were already failing... At this point its unlikely that the power supplies in any of those are performing to spec. When filter caps go bad, they have a disenchanting tendency to damage expensive and rare power transformers. Get it done.
Highly recommended. Often those caps can leak, and the electrolyte from inside will corrode the device's chassis. I recommend replacements from Audio Note, Mundorf, Nippon Chemicon, Jensen and Kemet. Very good components that will serve you a long time.

dr k

VIP/Donor
Aug 4, 2016
California
Why is it that most of these ultra high-end, expensive preamps lack a balance control, which IME is essential to get correct soundstage and imaging due to either channel imbalance in the recording or asymmetric loss hearing between our left and right ears? Some argue balance control degrades the sound, but this can be circumvented by having two volume controls, one for each channel (eg, Lamm) or other methods (Atmasphere).

gian60

Apr 17, 2016
The best SS preamp i had 30 years ago was Dennesen Gold and now CH L1with X1

The best tube i had ANJ M10 and Audiotekne 9501

But the best absolutly i had and was stupid to sell was Dissanayake Reference

Here line preamp with phono MM and external power supply for line and phono

Attachments

• IMG_0955.jpg
    IMG_0955.jpg
    96.2 KB · Views: 30
  • IMG_0954.jpg
    IMG_0954.jpg
    130.5 KB · Views: 31
  • IMG_0952.jpg
    IMG_0952.jpg
    79.7 KB · Views: 31
  • IMG_0950.jpg
    IMG_0950.jpg
    316 KB · Views: 31

DasguteOhr

Sep 26, 2013
Germany
The best SS preamp i ever heard, Higher Fidelity 2623 with phono eq 2002 build like a tank. Sounds gorgeous l1043979343.1.jpg pHXdv708Wd.jpg
I'm a big fan of nem audio tube gear, when i win in lottery a dream.
Tube:EL12, 5U4GBVoltage
Gain:10db Maximum output voltage:20V RMS
Input Impedance:10K OhmOutput Impedance:60 Ohm
Frequency Response:3-60000 hz (-3db)Noise:-90db Inputs:4 RCAOutputs:1 RCA, 1 XLRUnit
dimensions:460*460*205?? Unit weight :43 kg
_dsc1920_1.jpg

morricab

Apr 25, 2014
Switzerland
The best SS preamp i ever heard, Higher Fidelity 2623 with phono eq 2002 build like a tank. Sounds gorgeous View attachment 98329 View attachment 98330
I'm a big fan of nem audio tube gear, when i win in lottery a dream.
Tube:EL12, 5U4GBVoltage
Gain:10db Maximum output voltage:20V RMS
Input Impedance:10K OhmOutput Impedance:60 Ohm
Frequency Response:3-60000 hz (-3db)Noise:-90db Inputs:4 RCAOutputs:1 RCA, 1 XLRUnit
dimensions:460*460*205?? Unit weight :43 kg
View attachment 98331
NEM is cool

Reactions: DasguteOhr

LL21

Dec 26, 2010
The best SS preamp i had 30 years ago was Dennesen Gold and now CH L1with X1

The best tube i had ANJ M10 and Audiotekne 9501

But the best absolutly i had and was stupid to sell was Dissanayake Reference

Here line preamp with phono MM and external power supply for line and phono
Most interesting...just saw this when looking up the Dissanayake Reference. Interesting his comments have some striking similarities to yours!

Quotation from the site:

"Description
I had my first system at the age of nine, my father didn't appreciate my passion for audio at that time. Since then many things have changed and I finally ended up with this system.

You can see on the same shelf two masters of the art of sound reproduction: Kondo and Dissanayake. The first needs no introduction while probably you never have heard about the second.

Well folks, let me tell you that I would never have achieved the same results in truth of timbre, reality of 3D acoustic image and easyness of emission without the discovery of Dissanayake Kamasutra preamplifier, a truly work of art."

Reactions: gian60

gian60

Apr 17, 2016
This is the new pre Dissanayake is doing,he sent to me the photo 2 days ago

Attachments

• 17A245CD-C96A-4384-8193-F494EC5D869F.jpeg
    17A245CD-C96A-4384-8193-F494EC5D869F.jpeg
    170.8 KB · Views: 40

LL21

Dec 26, 2010

LL21

Dec 26, 2010
Kamasutra is the top preamp he did
What is it about this preamp that has been better than other preamps? It sounds like possibly even the CH?

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing