Zero Distortion: Altec Assault and the Magic of Misho (Audio Antiquary)

Norway

Mar 26, 2022
The open baffle ones, from Bert in Netherlands, had less midbass whoomp. I am not sure if it was because the OB was losing bass at the back, or because he uses these DIY SS amps. Also, don't think he was using altecs then.

The vents of your current Altec should give enough lower bass with 515 if done right and more than OB. If you desire lower you will need subs is my guess.

Just to confirm, when you say lower bass are you referring to below 30 Hz, or are you just in general referring to the feeling of weight? The 817 cabinet you have should have very good weight
Have you heard the OBs from Bert? It just surprises me that they will have less “whomp” as the FLH is both deeper/wider than 817, very similar to that of the 210/211 Altec cabinets.
no I have no plans below 30 hz, I am a music lover…. 35-40 will do just nicely!
634C6B5B-9743-4EDB-8258-6546C4029440.jpeg

Reactions: christoph

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
Have you heard the OBs from Bert? It just surprises me that they will have less “whomp” as the FLH is both deeper/wider than 817, very similar to that of the 210/211 Altec cabinets.
View attachment 90863

That's me.

Like I said I don't know if less whoomp was due to baffle, drivers, or the amp. I wish he used SETs

In your case, I would first suggest trying with SETs. The Altec drivers have high damping and require an amp with high output impedance and less grip. If, as per conventional thinking you add an amp with higher grip or low output impedance for more bass, it does the opposite... Causes bass roll off. So you need to try low output sets. I don't know how the NAD is.

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
I should also mention that the only Altec I liked in person was Misho's. Also on videos I preferred a couple one of which was 817. So it is very easy to get the Altec wrong either due to crossover or amp or both

Last edited:

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
View attachment 90863

It is not just width and depth..the open ness at the back can cause bass to be lost

Norway

Mar 26, 2022

That's me.

Like I said I don't know if less whoomp was due to baffle, drivers, or the amp. I wish he used SETs

In your case, I would first suggest trying with SETs. The Altec drivers have high damping and require an amp with high output impedance and less grip. If, as per conventional thinking you add an amp with higher grip or low output impedance for more bass, it does the opposite... Causes bass roll off. So you need to try low output sets. I don't know how the NAD is.
Ok! There you are… This room looks very “crowded“ and I guess the Bert‘s OB in the pictures has a less than ideal working conditions? my room(s) are way bigger.
I am not into SETs at the moment(been there done that) and as I use my system more than 8-10 hours a day Class A with the energy prices at the moment is not that attractive. I must admit that I have become somewhat lazy so all recourses and effort are being put into the speakers and that’s it.
As I am considering the OB in the picture your feedback is very much appreciated. Should I go or should I stay.

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
Ok! There you are… This room looks very “crowded“ and I guess the Bert‘s OB in the pictures has a less than ideal working conditions? my room(s) are way bigger.
I am not into SETs at the moment(been there done that) and as I use my system more than 8-10 hours a day Class A with the energy prices at the moment is not that attractive. I must admit that I have become somewhat lazy so all recourses and effort are being put into the speakers and that’s it.
As I am considering the OB in the picture your feedback is very much appreciated. Should I go or should I stay.

It is not about "being in sets". You are almost certainly losing bass because of your amp pairing.

Forums make people think "sets" is a thing. It is simply the right choice of amps for certain horns (or rather, certain drivers used in horns), and a bad choice for many other type of speakers. For altecs you will require a SETs based, or if push pull it will still have to be low grip high output impedance

Norway

Mar 26, 2022
It is not about "being in sets". You are almost certainly losing bass because of your amp pairing.

Forums make people think "sets" is a thing. It is simply the right choice of amps for certain horns (or rather, certain drivers used in horns), and a bad choice for many other type of speakers. For altecs you will require a SETs based, or if push pull it will still have to be low grip high output impedance
I fully respect and accept your point that SETs are the ideal amp for 515s. I have tried several amps with my system and many SS has a tendency to “over-grip“ and kill the bass.
I am still kind of interested in trying OB so your opinion is very much appreciated.

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
I fully respect and accept your point that SETs are the ideal amp for 515s. I have tried several amps with my system and many SS has a tendency to “over-grip“ and kill the bass.
I am still kind of interested in trying OB so your opinion is very much appreciated.

You can do OB, or 817. Both will require another amp

Reactions: Solypsa

Norway

Mar 26, 2022
Klaus you heard my FLHs recently
did we discuss adding wings to the 817s?
Yes we did indeed and it was a great inspiration! We briefly touched into the possibility of adding wings! I have done that but they did not provide the wanted results and at the same time upset my wife to a new level of…. I made these wings(on both sides) but in the end only the dog was impressed! AEB94857-6206-4546-9480-E18FE173EF31.jpeg

Solypsa

Jun 7, 2017
Seattle
www.solypsa.com
As great as the Altec woofers are, but in light of Ked's comments, maybe Acoustic Elegance OB woofers?

Devor 40 ? ( Leif knows these )

Reactions: Norway

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
As great as the Altec woofers are, but in light of Ked's comments, maybe Acoustic Elegance OB woofers?

Devor 40 ? ( Leif knows these )

Why change woofers when he can change amps?

Solypsa

Jun 7, 2017
Seattle
www.solypsa.com
He said he only wanted to play with speakers in post #246 that's why ;)

Audiophile Bill

Mar 23, 2015
To be honest 515s are the wrong choice for that Open Baffle quad driver waveguide of BD imho. Good choice for horns though.

Jan 18, 2012
Drobak Norway
I guess Bert uses BD15s......his own version.....
heard the smaller version of this baffel with Oris 270 and BMS 4592ND at Peter Stordiau´s place/Phasure dac and was not impressed to put it mild...

Reactions: bonzo75

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
I guess Bert uses BD15s......his own version.....
heard the smaller version of this baffel with Oris 270 and BMS 4592ND at Peter Stordiau´s place/Phasure dac and was not impressed to put it mild...

Same. Which is why it is difficult to say if sound was due to driver, amp, or baffle. It was a bit dry, less tone, lacked decay, and midbass thump. It was open and large staging

ScottB

Feb 11, 2013
Cincinnati, OH

That's me.

Output impedance is not something I've thought much about - what do you consider high enough to be a good match for the Altecs?

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing