Zero Distortion: Altec Assault and the Magic of Misho (Audio Antiquary)

Jan 18, 2012
Drobak Norway
the concept was first applied on my sub horns, then we discussed a little about testing it on the FLH midbasshorns
the idea is to balance the pressure in the horn and the rear"chamber, to avoid air being pressed through the membrane of the woofers and lower distortion
also the impedance peak is severely lowered and the whole thing represent a much easier load on the amp
in the pre ventilated version of the FLH, they had a horn reflection at 130Hz, which dropped to 30.
......-in other words out of the working range
both sub and mid sounds much more easy flowing and differentiates harmonics and dynamics much better when ventilated.

Last edited:
Reactions: bonzo75

jw67

Apr 10, 2019
The preamp is a very very good preamp, I cant recall if it had remote control or not, if it did we didnt use it on the day. Since Ked last visited me I have managed to have a play with a Dave Slagle Autoformer which I believe is the basis for the Emia, have to say the Slagle is an awesome pre for not much money but did not have a remote control which at the moment is an issue for myself when I am streaming from the Lampi. When I move the system around and have access to the pre from my seating position then I will revisit preamps that don't require a remote.

Perhaps an option would be to try a Slagle Autoformer, the one I had is only the basic model with dual volume control and 23 steps IIRC.

Audiophile Bill reccomended to me the Emia which if I could get a loan model to try out I would be tempted, from what I can gather the Emia is mail order from America only with no UK dealers so I would not be able to try before I buy.

Lee
No remote I’m afraid.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. A place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss existing and new audio products, music servers, music streamers and computer audio, digital to audio convertors (DACS), turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel to reel, speakers, headphones, tube amplifiers and solid state amplification. Founded in 2010 What's Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing