Zero Distortion: Dalby Record Weight

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
A very fun report, Kedar! Thank you!

Kedar, Bill: A whole 'nother vinyl playback variable? Record clamps -- different brands; different sounding models by the same brand?

So, after carefully setting up the turntable stand, the turntable on the stand, the tonearm on the turntable, the cartridge in the tonearm TIMES one or two or three or four completely separate record-playing systems TIMES two or three or four tonearms per separate record-playing system, THEN, depending on musical genre preference, mood, and alcoholic versus non-alcoholic beverage of choice, selecting which cartridge on which tonearm on which record-player, THEN selecting which phono stage to use . . . THEN adjusting VTA for the thickness of the vinyl, and THEN selecting the brand of model of record clamp?

Are we sure that being able (or required) to make a dozen different decisions before dropping the needle is fun? o_O

My friend had his brinkmann on the wall shelf. Recently he put it on a normal hifi rack due to some room adjustment. The Dalby is more important.

But why does a number of variables in analog surprise you, that was always the case. What you use to align your tonearm, which head shell, which screws, which cleaner, destat, etc it never stops. Some stuff has more substitutes than others

Folsom

VIP/Donor
Oct 25, 2015
Eastern WA
Hey,

Well I have made copious listening notes of the various different timber varieties and their qualitative sound. I have also tried to see whether applying combinations of woods can lead to a hybrid type sound. I tested different mechanisms of coupling the spindle from bare wood to bearings and even a proboscis style internal clamping mech. I have tested ball bearings in combinations, locations and materials. I have tried different total weights.

I have several more ideas and concepts to test next.

Any general notes for us on sound to function of types you've made?

PeterA

Dec 6, 2011
USA
Any general notes for us on sound to function of types you've made?

Folsom, do you think we could transfer this information to different systems given how different everybody’s turntables cartridges and tone arms are? Even platter material and thickness might likely affect the sound. I think we’re basically talking about resonances.

Why would there be so many different designs from one designer?

ddk

May 18, 2013
Utah
Folsom, do you think we could transfer this information to different systems given how different everybody’s turntables cartridges and tone arms are? Even platter material and thickness might likely affect the sound. I think we’re basically talking about resonances.

IME with record weights their character doesn't change with turntables what comes into play is actually the mass of the weight that matters depending on the turntable. This is where one needs to experiment and understand what's desired. IMO the function of the record weight isn't changing the sound quality to the extent mentioned in this thread, it should only bring a little more focus to the sound. Otherwise like anything else a component with strong audible character also has strong coloration.

david

Audiophile Bill

Mar 23, 2015

Hi Peter,

Yes I am fairly sure you can transfer the findings. The only reason I say that is that the sonic signature of the different hardwoods as reflected in the clamp also seems to be reflected in isolation shelves, footers and even horns in my experiments. Clearly every system will react slightly differently but I strongly believe that the general qualitative profile will transfer across.

Here is a platform that I had been prototyping using some of the principles - bearings go into the indentations. This uses a sandwich of mahogany and beech with tensioning underneath:
508AF3A9-7CA0-4CB8-9FB7-66A71AED04C8.jpeg

Audiophile Bill

Mar 23, 2015
IME with record weights their character doesn't change with turntables what comes into play is actually the mass of the weight that matters depending on the turntable. This is where one needs to experiment and understand what's desired. IMO the function of the record weight isn't changing the sound quality to the extent mentioned in this thread, it should only bring a little more focus to the sound. Otherwise like anything else a component with strong audible character also has strong coloration.

david

Hi David,

Yes mass of the actual clamp is really important and clearly the optimum will vary depending on TT for which you’ll need to experiment as you rightly say.

The resonance profiles of the hardwood also have their distinct characters. A solid Indian rosewood clamp for example is extremely laid back and smooth (too much so in fact) whereas a solid maple of same proportions is almost too hard sounding bordering on aggressive.

Folsom

VIP/Donor
Oct 25, 2015
Eastern WA

IME it’s useful information but sometimes you have to assess how it works by accounting for other things in systems.

As of recently I’ve found some interesting things with turntable platter/mat stuff.

ddk

May 18, 2013
Utah
Hi David,

Yes mass of the actual clamp is really important and clearly the optimum will vary depending on TT for which you’ll need to experiment as you rightly say.

The resonance profiles of the hardwood also have their distinct characters. A solid Indian rosewood clamp for example is extremely laid back and smooth (too much so in fact) whereas a solid maple of same proportions is almost too hard sounding bordering on aggressive.
Hi Bill,
Even metal weights of varying density, materials and shapes have distinct characters which as you experienced does not change from tt to tt.

david

marty

Apr 20, 2010
United States
Thanks for the reply Mik, Iam quite envious you have the mk11. I have had mine now for nearly 30 years and still learning from it ! Ive had the kuzma airline mounted on it for quite a while now, its sings like never before! I could not get the T3f tamed, you know what I mean. I made up a corian armboard with sorbathene supports where you can adjust the levelling by the attached allen bolts.

I can relate to your experience on taming the T3F. It took me over 25 years to do that! I've taken graduate courses in molecular biology that were easier to figure out.

Audiophile Bill

Mar 23, 2015
Hi Bill,
Even metal weights of varying density, materials and shapes have distinct characters which as you experienced does not change from tt to tt.

david

I can well imagine tbh. It is on my to do list to get the engineers lathe going and make some metal parts constrained with the wood.

ddk

May 18, 2013
Utah
I can well imagine tbh. It is on my to do list to get the engineers lathe going and make some metal parts constrained with the wood.
Audio Technica makes two fairly inexpensive record weights that I find work very well with a variety of turntables. The main difference is mass again. It's worth at least getting the basic one, AT-618 as a reference while working on your own, it's really very good!

https://www.amazon.co.uk/audio-tech...refix=audio+technics+record+w,aps,260&sr=8-18

david

cjfrbw

Apr 20, 2010
Pleasanton, CA
Reactions: timztunz

Audiophile Bill

Mar 23, 2015
when do you guys have time to enjoy the sound
some of this comparing and evaluating seems manic
at a certain point one has to put one´s foot down and simply enjoy

Is a disease, Leif. A bad disease lol.

108CY

May 4, 2013
Thanks for the reply Mik, Iam quite envious you have the mk11. I have had mine now for nearly 30 years and still learning from it ! Ive had the kuzma airline mounted on it for quite a while now, its sings like never before! I could not get the T3f tamed, you know what I mean. I made up a corian armboard with sorbathene supports where you can adjust the levelling by the attached allen bolts.

I used first T3F 36 years ago it belonged to my father I was just 13 years of age I still admire the arm in many ways but does have its problems but have learnt in that time it can be a tremendous sounding tonearm just takes a lot and I mean a lot of patience. I have used the air tangent reference on the Goldmund with excellent success it was a great experience superb midrange together with air and space it was a enveloping sound, the t3f had a wonderful sense of drive and energy and boldness with tremendous scale. I have several airlines around I did try one on the Goldmund some time back it again was highly enjoyable combination I really liked the way it did nuance and very detailed.

christoph

Dec 11, 2015
Principality of Liechtenstein
I can relate to your experience on taming the T3F. It took me over 25 years to do that! I've taken graduate courses in molecular biology that were easier to figure out.
:D

siddh

Oct 2, 2012
Anyone here other than Strapper have the opportunity to compare the Pirueta to the earlier models?

Reactions: hogen

Sammy T

Aug 30, 2012
Pirueta Dalby LP Stabilizer.... I have only one simple question. What is the asking price?

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing