Zero Distortion: Vyger

Bonesy Jonesy

Jan 3, 2017
UK & Spain
As they are both similar in RRP price (when you factor everything in for the complete set-ups), and both heavyweight, high mass TT's it would be great to A to B compare the Kuzma XL Air with Kuzma Airline and the new Kuzma Safir9 vs the Vyger Atlantis IV with various TOTL cartridges that best match these TT's and their Tonearms ! Maybe once of the hifi magazines may do this review one day soon ???

Reactions: Ron Resnick

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
As they are both similar in RRP price (when you factor everything in for the complete set-ups), and both heavyweight, high mass TT's it would be great to A to B compare the Kuzma XL Air with Kuzma Airline and the new Kuzma Safir9 vs the Vyger Atlantis IV with various TOTL cartridges that best match these TT's and their Tonearms ! Maybe once of the hifi magazines may do this review one day soon ???

i have not done the compare, but have heard airline a few times, have verbal feedback from someone who has done the compare, and have heard Kuzma tables many times. So as such, I personally am not interested.

Bonesy Jonesy

Jan 3, 2017
UK & Spain
i have not done the compare, but have heard airline a few times, have verbal feedback from someone who has done the compare, and have heard Kuzma tables many times. So as such, I personally am not interested.
Hi bonzo75,
From your reply, am I thinking (reading between the lines) that the Vyger is superior to the Kuzma set-ups (knowing from other posts that you have heard the Vyger TTs on a number of occasions in different systems and that with the Red Sparrow cartridge you find the Vyger pretty awesome) ?

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
Hi bonzo75,
From your reply, am I thinking (reading between the lines) that the Vyger is superior to the Kuzma set-ups (knowing from other posts that you have heard the Vyger TTs on a number of occasions in different systems and that with the Red Sparrow cartridge you find the Vyger pretty awesome) ?

Vyger red sparrow is my favorite analog set up, followed by DaVa on a pivot. I have to compare the two. Will send my DaVa to audioquattr when I receive it..

I had the done the below test blind before, now I have labeled them. Lowest score in favor of Vyger was 3/4, most were 4/4. if you are into videos, this extracts the core qualities very well. More details there.

Lagonda

VIP/Donor
Feb 3, 2014
Denmark
Vyger red sparrow is my favorite analog set up, followed by DaVa on a pivot. I have to compare the two. Will send my DaVa to audioquattr when I receive it..

I had the done the below test blind before, now I have labeled them. Lowest score in favor of Vyger was 3/4, most were 4/4. if you are into videos, this extracts the core qualities very well. More details there.

Ked, you have heard the AS 2000, where does it, in your opinion fall in the hierarchy ? Be honest, David cant bite anymore ! ;)

Reactions: jeff1225

Bonesy Jonesy

Jan 3, 2017
UK & Spain

Thank you bonzo75 for your post. Very much appreciated.

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
Ked, you have heard the AS 2000, where does it, in your opinion fall in the hierarchy ? Be honest, David cant bite anymore ! ;)

Milan, the Vyger RS was always my favorite but I had not heard it sing outside a very low watt amp single driver type set up. In Dec hearing it with much more powerful amps on a 5-way horn repeat the performance convinced me more of the generic use. To make a general recommendation to SS users I would also need to hear Chris' set up which has Vyger Red Sparrow on Magico M9 and Pilium.

DaVa is a more all rounded cart compared to Red Sparrow, i.e. the latter excels at classical and jazz but DaVa does this well and other bassy club rock you name it. This year I learned that Vyger does add a second arm base, either a second LT or a pivoted arm base so both DaVa and RS can be mounted. So that makes it a slam dunk really. And DaVa works great on SS too.

I think once TTs reach a certain level, there is much less to gain from upgrading on the table itself as compared to getting a tonearm +cart synergy. Sure, you need to keep the bad TTs out. But if you visit Mike, for example, where all TTs are good, it is not so much of choosing a TT alone that is going to influence the sound as compared to who is playing Dava with a well matched arm. I think Vyger is exceptional because it is synergistic with an electrifying arm, through which I, and its users, get the musicality, the flow, the speed and nuance, transparency to recordings, and an effervescence where music is just there. Once you hear Vyger RS tracking properly, everything else sounds stop start or mistracking. It makes me do Elvis like EMT 927, gives me transient dynamics and nuance like the AS 2000, layers like the Techdas, and flows like the water Bruce Lee wanted all hifi to be. Plus, the Indian is way cool looking, will scare cats away from the hifi area, and Atlantis can go on a simple table. In Audioquattr's compares, the Techdas was on a Stacore, nothing was required for Atlantis.

Maybe, for general compliance carts, the primary control field coil that Mike has has similar liquidity and agility, I can't exactly say as experienced it only once without completely isolating it. But hey, those who can afford the field coil PC can afford Vyger with LT and the field coil arm on it or two tables.

I also think just getting more and more expensive TT does not add to the sonic experience. Looks are great, an expensive TT does a bit of this and a bit of that more. Records are way more important for sonics alone too, whatever your price point is. Vyger is an exception that it is already expensive and has a lot of costs going into it, comes with a great arm, less requirement for accessories, is just so much alive and real and not another toy.

Last edited:

Lagonda

VIP/Donor
Feb 3, 2014
Denmark
Milan, the Vyger RS was always my favorite but I had not heard it sing outside a very low watt amp single driver type set up. In Dec hearing it with much more powerful amps on a 5-way horn repeat the performance convinced me more of the generic use. To make a general recommendation to SS users I would also need to hear Chris' set up which has Vyger Red Sparrow on Magico M9 and Pilium.

DaVa is a more all rounded cart compared to Red Sparrow, i.e. the latter excels at classical and jazz but DaVa does this well and other bassy club rock you name it. This year I learned that Vyger does add a second arm base, either a second LT or a pivoted arm base so both DaVa and RS can be mounted. So that makes it a slam dunk really. And DaVa works great on SS too.

I think once TTs reach a certain level, there is much less to gain from upgrading on the table itself as compared to getting a tonearm +cart synergy. Sure, you need to keep the bad TTs out. But if you visit Mike, for example, where all TTs are good, it is not so much of choosing a TT alone that is going to influence the sound as compared to who is playing Dava with a well matched arm. I think Vyger is exceptional because it is synergistic with an electrifying arm, through which I, and its users, get the musicality, the flow, the speed and nuance, transparency to recordings, and an effervescence where music is just there. Once you hear Vyger RS tracking properly, everything else sounds stop start or mistracking. It makes me do Elvis like EMT 927, gives me highs and nuance like the AS 2000, layers like the Techdas, and flows like the water Bruce Lee wanted all hifi to be. Plus, the Indian is way cool looking, will scare cats away from the hifi area, and Atlantis can go on a simple table. In Audioquattr's compares, the Techdas was on a Stacore, nothing was required for Atlantis.

Maybe, for general compliance carts, the primary control field coil that Mike has has similar liquidity and agility, I can't exactly say as experienced it only once without completely isolating it. But hey, those who can afford the field coil PC can afford Vyger with LT and the field coil arm on it ot two tables.

I also think just getting more and more expensive TT does not add to the sonic experience. Looks are great, it an expensive TT does a bit of this and a bit of that more. Records are way more important for sonics alone too, whatever your price point is. Vyger is an exception that it is already expensive and has a lot of costs going into it, comes with a great arm, less requirement for accessories, is just so much alive and real and not another toy.
Thank you Ked ! You do love the Vyger ! :)

exupgh12

Jul 30, 2019

I think once TTs reach a certain level, there is much less to gain from upgrading on the table itself as compared to getting a tonearm +cart synergy. Sure, you need to keep the bad TTs out. But if you visit Mike, for example, where all TTs are good, it is not so much of choosing a TT alone that is going to influence the sound as compared to who is playing Dava with a well matched arm. I think Vyger is exceptional because it is synergistic with an electrifying arm, through which I, and its users, get the musicality, the flow, the speed and nuance, transparency to recordings, and an effervescence where music is just there. Once you hear Vyger RS tracking properly, everything else sounds stop start or mistracking. It makes me do Elvis like EMT 927, gives me transient dynamics and nuance like the AS 2000, layers like the Techdas, and flows like the water Bruce Lee wanted all hifi to be. Plus, the Indian is way cool looking, will scare cats away from the hifi area, and Atlantis can go on a simple table. In Audioquattr's compares, the Techdas was on a Stacore, nothing was required for Atlantis.

Maybe, for general compliance carts, the primary control field coil that Mike has has similar liquidity and agility, I can't exactly say as experienced it only once without completely isolating it. But hey, those who can afford the field coil PC can afford Vyger with LT and the field coil arm on it or two tables.

I also think just getting more and more expensive TT does not add to the sonic experience. Looks are great, an expensive TT does a bit of this and a bit of that more. Records are way more important for sonics alone too, whatever your price point is. Vyger is an exception that it is already expensive and has a lot of costs going into it, comes with a great arm, less requirement for accessories, is just so much alive and real and not another toy.
Hello Kedar,

Have you ever had the opportunity to listen to a clear audio statement turntable with a statement TT1 tonearm? If so, in your opinion, how would you rank it in comparison to the Vyger Indian?

Thank you.

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
Hello Kedar,

Have you ever had the opportunity to listen to a clear audio statement turntable with a statement TT1 tonearm? If so, in your opinion, how would you rank it in comparison to the Vyger Indian?

Thank you.

No I have not. I also wouldn't use "Vyger Indian" because the Vyger Atlantis is great too, so I would just say Vyger. IMO the preference for Indian will be largely visual rather than sonic.

Last edited:
Reactions: the sound of Tao

exupgh12

Jul 30, 2019

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
Thank you for the answer.

your post at zero distortion are really informative and amazing to read.

Thanks. It is easy to write when the product is good and one understands what it is sonically doing. I have also consistently described and discussed it verbally with others so the thoughts are easy to present.

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
Sounds great, thanks for sharing. I spotted KSL-Kegon on the shelf. It’s a lovely sounding amplifier. You only need a Philips metal base GZ34 and a quad of WE 300B tubes.

have you compared Kegon to Gakuoh mk2 or Kagura?

MRubey

VIP/Donor
Mar 20, 2022
San Antonio Texas
How difficult is VYGER ownership?
They appear to be a very high maintenance device.
i.e. Fighting moisture in the air lines etc.
In another thread I described them as intimidating.
Is this just my projection or are they as much of a pain to own as they seem to be capable of?
Thank you.

zerostargeneral

Apr 14, 2018
Well Sir,
I have owned five different Vyger decks and they were all very different levels of frustrating issues.

I would no longer recommend them simply because they are too variable in outcome. I do not have the time or the patience

For their lack of diligence when addressing issues that will occur. The Ars Machinae or the AS2000 with the Ars Machinae tonearm.

The STST Motus II with the Viv Labs or the Supratrac, great combinations in my opinion.

If you are minded toward the Vyger please get it right and involve the retailor and the distributor(Ideally Bob in the States).

Sonically wonderful when one acquires a good one.

Kindest regards,G.

Argonaut

Jul 30, 2013
N/A
Is this just my projection or are they as much of a pain to own as they seem to be capable of?
Thank you.
Not Particularly.
Not Particularily.
?
Cannot comment.
Yes … No.
You are welcome.

Audiohertz2

Jun 8, 2023
Thank you.

Kedar comments on this would be interesting ..

Reactions: MRubey

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing