2019 Corvette C7 Stingray Convertible

Ron Resnick

Site Co-Owner, Administrator
Jan 24, 2015
Beverly Hills, CA
I love the mid-engine design. I'm not sure I am keen on the rear engine (911) design.

Holli82

Jun 6, 2010

DaveC

Industry Expert
Nov 16, 2014
I love the mid-engine design. I'm not sure I am keen on the rear engine (911) design.

I agree about the superbeetles... :) I've driven a few but not recently, I wasn't expecting that much but the GT3 was special. I didn't even have to drive it myself to notice, the car is in another league vs most, and it should be for around $200k. I admire what Porsche has accomplished with these cars.

Reactions: Ron Resnick

Ron Resnick

Jan 24, 2015
Beverly Hills, CA
Tinka's C7 3LT Convertible is so much fun, and is such a good sports car in an absolute sense (at least for a casual car enthusiast like me), it's ridiculous.

For my whole life I always -- always! -- assumed that if I were in a Corvette and a Ferrari or a McLaren or a Porsche pulled up next to me on the street to turn up his/her nose at a "lowly" Corvette that I would be kinda quietly embarrassed. I do not feel that way in this car (and I would feel even less so in a C7 Z06). I would think: "Ha! I am having 80% of the fun you are having with 0% of the breakdown worry!"*

*To be fair I cannot quantify the extent to which it helps that I actually do have a (older) Ferrari.

Ron Resnick

Jan 24, 2015
Beverly Hills, CA
Question for WBF C7 Stingray experts:

With the same exact engine horsepower as my SL550, but with a 700 pound lighter weight advantage for the C7, the C7 doesn't pull from, say, 5,000 RPM in 2nd gear (with the automatic transmission set in manual mode and the system set to Track mode) as hard as I would expect it to. The SL pulls harder (seemingly to me) in that situation.

What is going on there? Is the C7 power response being choked by emission controls or catalytic converters or mufflers?

Does the SL seemingly pull harder because of its twin turbos?

PS: The C7 feels noticeably lighter on its feet than does the SL550. (The SL, even with the aluminum body (which shaved only about 150 pounds off the weight of the prior SL) has always been a pig which weighs a lot more than it should.)

DaveC

Industry Expert
Nov 16, 2014
Question for WBF C7 Stingray experts:

With the same exact engine horsepower as my SL550, but with a 700 pound lighter weight advantage for the C7, the C7 doesn't pull from, say, 5,000 RPM in 2nd gear (with the automatic transmission set in manual mode and the system set to Track mode) as hard as I would expect it to. The SL pulls harder (seemingly to me) in that situation.

What is going on there? Is the C7 power response being choked by emission controls or catalytic converters or mufflers?

Does the SL seemingly pull harder because of its twin turbos?

PS: The C7 feels noticeably lighter on its feet than does the SL550. (The SL, even with the aluminum body (which shaved only about 150 pounds off the weight of the prior SL) has always been a pig which weighs a lot more than it should.)

I have the same motor in my Camaro... I agree the LT1 isn't quite as exciting as many other motors as far as power delivery. It's intended to be more linear, which makes it excellent for track use as you know what you're getting from throttle inputs. But it does not have that surge of power you get from turbos or a motor with a really big cam. You will get more power in either competitive driving mode, PTM mode, or on track mode with all the nannies off. But DON'T turn the nannies off until you have some real experience with the car, it's very dangerous if you're not very careful.

Today's cats and mufflers don't make much of a difference. You could remove it all and end up with only slight gains in power.

The one downside of these cars is they are almost too competent and they don't feel as fast as they are when driving them on the street. It makes them really comfortable on the highway, and your Vette will probably achieve 30 mpg as well. But, the experience isn't quite as exciting as some other cars, mostly cars of far less ultimate capability. Vettes are very fast cars on a track, and feel a lot more exciting when driven at that level.

I think you'd appreciate the car a lot more if you did a track driving event, you'd get some instruction then go out with an instructor in your car who will guide you through how to drive on track in a low-pressure, controlled setting. On track, these cars really transform into something else and I think you'll come away liking the car even more.

Finally, Germans under-report power by around 10-15% so you have to keep that in mind as well.

Reactions: trekpilot

Ron Resnick

Jan 24, 2015
Beverly Hills, CA
That is all very interesting, Dave!

Thank you!

I appreciate the track suggestion, but while I love sports cars, I do not consider it a hobby. We will not be disabling traction control, ever!

Last edited:

twitch

Jun 17, 2010
SE Pa
Ron, congrats on the new acquisition ! IMO, having owned 6 Corvettes over the past 44 plus years they have all been great. Granted interior wise they have taken a 'beating' until recently, but as I told the young lad you asked me if my Corvette could keep up with his modern 911 I said no.......but then told him to come back with his grandfather and his '67 911 and I'd show him what Chevy taillights look like !

Attachments

• '67 Vette side profile.jpg
    '67 Vette side profile.jpg
    205.9 KB · Views: 18

Ron Resnick

Jan 24, 2015
Beverly Hills, CA
Tinka thinks that car is "gorgeous."

What is the most recent Corvette you have?

twitch

Jun 17, 2010
SE Pa
Tinka thinks that car is "gorgeous."

What is the most recent Corvette you have?

just added this to the collection, 2002 ZO6, NCRS 'Top Flight' car, scored 99.3, 2 owners ......

Attachments

• 2002 ZO6.JPG
    2002 ZO6.JPG
    286 KB · Views: 16
Reactions: DaveC

Ron Resnick

Jan 24, 2015
Beverly Hills, CA
Congratulations!!!

Ron Resnick

Jan 24, 2015
Beverly Hills, CA
Tinka's car originally was named Frank. She put him through a bit of a . . . change . . . procedure.

Please say hello to . . . Francine.

487CF82D-5B73-4679-A82F-3273E84C33D4.jpeg

rando

Sep 22, 2019
;)

Reactions: Bergm@nn

Gregadd

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Metro DC

Tango

VIP/Donor
Mar 12, 2017
Bangkok
  • Haha
Reactions: ddk and rando

Alrainbow

Dec 11, 2013
I had two corvettes I’m not a big fan of them but they are very good car. i had a Stingray
white tee top
I think rubber front and rear
next up was the second gen whale tail series had a heads up display
transmission was on top of rear axil and front engine
it drove very well for me
it did have a leak at the rear
fixed by them 2 times before I sold it.
a corvette is a car you need to love for owning it. Not admire like other sports car.
i now own a Cadillac ct4 black wing why guess im old and need the attention to myself
tell tinka enjoy and all the best in using it. Love the color

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing