A Music Passion

[...] I watched this documentary that was suggested after the above video's end.
It is fascinating, educative on many levels, well presented from across the globe with very interesting expert people. If like me you love the violin you will love this doc. It's a worthy hour of your time trust me.

Hmm... Correct me if I'm wrong, but new violins open up significantly during the first few years. As such, having a newly made violin immediately sounding great is a serious red flag as there is a possibility that it would fall to pieces in a few years. Also, did they talk about bows in the video? I only skimmed through it so I might have missed that. But the partnering bow makes part of the sound of a violin right?

Heinrich Ignaz Franz von Biber: Passacaglia for solo violin
Elicia Silverstein

Niccolò Paganini: Caprice no. 5 in A minor - Agitato
Sumina Studer

accwai, they talk about many aspects of the violin; history, makers, collectors, bankers, investors, business people, auctioneers, sellers, buyers, what to look for, how they are valued, how the banks operate, what makes a violin worth millions (up to 10+ ... Stradivarius), where you look first, the most important part, ... it's a journey into the violin business dealers.

I recommend you watch the full hour documentary because you might indeed have missed important parts. The doc is well made and the time was in accordance. I would say that even more time would have revealed much more on the love that goes into them by the famous artisans and also by the outrageous deals under the dark blanket of charlatans and financial profiteering institutions.

You know what they say; how can you form an objective opinion without having seen and hear. :)

* Your music passion selections I like...they are inspiring and I'm buying more and more music today than yesterday ... I spend money I made from years of hard work and sweat.
That's one place I like to invest ... in my soul.

Last edited:
It's more about the undercover financial (banks) secretive world of the violin than its true worth.
Some people lost their shirts and shorts ...
The bow here is very secondary, no importance to the real documentary subject.
That's why I suggest that you watch it in its entirety.

* Question (to anyone):
What is the most important part of the violin when looking for real true value/origin?

Grigora? Dinicu: Hora staccato
James Ehnes, Eduard Laurel

* Question (to anyone):
What is the most important part of the violin when looking for real true value/origin?

No taker for 5 days, wow... In any case, just ran into an acquaintance that does a lot of violin maintenance work for the local symphony orchestra and asked that question. He said a violin is just pieces of wood stuck together. Some of the pieces are essential to the identity of a specific violin. Some are consumable and can be modified/replaced if needed. For a violin to sound right/good, all the pieces must fit together in very specific way.

To somebody in the market for a high echelon violin, the first thing is probably to feel a strong bond to those underlying pieces that form the basis of the violin. Then one must work with a trusted luthier that knows how to get all the pieces set up properly so they sound right/good as a unit. There are many things that can be out of alignment in the initial setup and many things that can be done to fix it up, from simple things like moving the sound post/bridge, to making a new bridge, to a little more complicated things like reseating the neck/fingerboard work, then to really major surgeries. The luthier must be completely confident in the diagnosis and the remedy, and be honest about it.

After that, one work hard to get to know the personalities of the instrument well and work to unleash its full potential. There are many moving parts here. Ideally the money side shouldn't be much more than the lubricant. Unfortunately that's seldom the case in this world, especially as the dollar amount goes up.

In any case, the video above is from the DVD included in Ehnes' album Homage, which is kind of a tribute to the David Fulton string instrument collection. The CD has performance using every instrument in the collection. The DVD has corresponding videos of those as well as a bunch of interviews with Ehnes covering the topics like the Fulton collection, working with a trusted luthier on setup, bows, etc. Amazon Marketplace has a few copies at reasonable price. Recommended.

I'll repost this video documentary (one hour) on the violin because I consider it indispensable viewing ...

I don't see anyone here who wouldn't be fascinated by its entire educative and informative content (a secret music violin passion...Stradivarius).

Max Richter (/?r?kt?r/; German: [???çt?]; born 22 March 1966) is a German-born British composer who has been an influential voice in post-minimalist composition and in the meeting of contemporary classical and alternative popular musical styles since the early 2000s. Richter is classically trained, having graduated in composition from the Royal Academy of Music and studied with Luciano Berio in Italy.

Richter also composes music for stage, opera, ballet and screen. He has also collaborated with other musicians, as well as with performance, installation and media artists. He has recorded eight solo albums and his music is widely used in cinema.

Reactions: accwai
Vivaldi: Concerto RV558 for 2 violini in tromba marina, 2 recorders, 2 mandolini, 2 chalumeaux, 2 theorbos & cello - I. Allegro molto
Fabio Biondi, Europa Galante

Reactions: rando
Vivaldi: Concerto Op. 3 No. 10 for 4 violins in B Minor, RV 580
Il Giardino Armonico, Giovanni Antonini, Enrico Onofri, et al.

Reactions: NorthStar
I'm listening to the above piece and I'm floating above today's grey skies (orange in Australia and black where people sleep). It's nice to be receptive musically and communicate those melodies...live. Short of that we become audiophiles and end up in high end audio forums in threads like these right here ...

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing