Accurate spirit levels for analog set up, any recommendations?

NorthStar

Feb 8, 2011
Vancouver Island, B.C. Canada
When I use a spirit level @ different spots of my TTs; four corners, mid center, near center, etc., with and without different mats, the bubble is never centered @ all the spots exactly equally.

Question: Is there one spot more important (dead center over the pivot), or a combinations of critical spots of the TT itself or its plinth and with a record mat or not that is best?

tima

Industry Expert
Mar 3, 2014
the Upper Midwest
When I use a spirit level @ different spots of my TTs; four corners, mid center, near center, etc., with and without different mats, the bubble is never centered @ all the spots exactly equally.

Question: Is there one spot more important (dead center over the pivot), or a combinations of critical spots of the TT itself or its plinth and with a record mat or not that is best?

I use my Starret 130 at 3, 6, 9 and 12 o'clock, both vertical and horizontal. Lock platter in place with painters tape.

The Monaco 2.0 sits on three feet with high precision threads and comes with a custom wrench. Very easy to get level.

Reactions: paolo and NorthStar

Ron Resnick

Site Co-Owner, Administrator
Jan 24, 2015
Beverly Hills, CA
Caterpillar Red seems a reputable company, but I have no direct experience with their products. This type of level is being manufactured by many companies for more than a century, it is not rocket science!

Thank you, Francisco.

spiritofmusic

Jun 13, 2013
E. England
Well, my custom single tier Slateage/North West Analog slate tt stand has just been delivered.

I'm gonna order three of the circular bubble levels, and progress onto the Starretts.

I have to level the stand, then the Stacore, then the tt/platter/arm.

Thanks one and all for your input on all this.

cyclopse

Jul 25, 2016
Frank Schroeder during a presentation used the glass from a spotlight lamp as a base placed on the platter. He then put a large ball bearing on top of the glass and of course it will only stop moving when level. Simple and effective.

CKKeung

Jun 17, 2011
Hong Kong

CKKeung

Jun 17, 2011
Hong Kong

Barry

Member Sponsor
Jan 7, 2012
Somewhere near Philadelphia, USA
Pay all you want for the audiophile approved bubble levels. Even if I wasn't cross-eyed, there's parallax errors trying to read them.

I bought an AccuMASTER digital level for $36 from Amazon that's accurate to less than .2 of a degree. I took the batteries out and put them in another case and it's light enough to rest on the headshell while sitting on the tonearm rest. I use it with Adjust+ too. You can calibrate it on a known flat surface and it's very accurate.

Don't like it? Throw it away!

Last edited:

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing