Acoustic Effect of Polyurethane Stain on Wood

Ron Resnick

Site Co-Owner, Administrator
Jan 24, 2015
Beverly Hills, CA
Has anyone experimented with the acoustic effect of staining hardwood walls of a listening room with polyurethane stain or sealant?

Does polyurethane add sound reflectivity to the wood walls? Does polyurethane stain or sealant have any sonic effect at all versus not applying polyurethane to wood listening room walls?

Steve Williams

Site Founder, Site Owner, Administrator
Has anyone experimented with the acoustic effect of staining hardwood walls of a listening room with polyurethane stain or sealant?

Does polyurethane add sound reflectivity to the wood walls? Does polyurethane stain or sealant have any sonic effect at all versus not applying polyurethane to wood listening room walls?

Ron

my best advice is to find out which lacquer van den Hul uses on his Stradivarius carts. That might be a game changer

PeterA

Dec 6, 2011
USA
Ron

my best advice is to find is to find out which lacquer van den Hul uses on his Stradivarius carts. That might be a game changer

Hilarious, but I don't think Ron can afford that much quantity. Can you imagine the cost to finish his huge room?

Ron, I would be cautious about sealing the wood unless all six sides are sealed. The panels are already mounted to the wall, and presumably unsealed. Moisture could enter the back side and not escape if you seal the room side.

Have you considered simply oiling the wood? This would not seal it and allow it to breath. Was the previous grey stain on these panels a sealer or non sealing penetrating stain? I'd talk to a pro about this.

Reactions: christoph and ddk

Vienna

VIP/Donor
Reactions: christoph

ddk

May 18, 2013
Utah
Hilarious, but I don't think Ron can afford that much quantity. Can you imagine the cost to finish his huge room?

Ron, I would be cautious about sealing the wood unless all six sides are sealed. The panels are already mounted to the wall, and presumably unsealed. Moisture could enter the back side and not escape if you seal the room side.

Have you considered simply oiling the wood? This would not seal it and allow it to breath. Was the previous grey stain on these panels a sealer or non sealing penetrating stain? I'd talk to a pro about this.
I recommended Pure Tung Oil.

david

PeterA

Dec 6, 2011
USA
I recommended Pure Tung Oil.

david

Some of the natural wood in our 200-year-old house as a tung oil finish. I’ve also used linseed oil. If you go this route, I don’t know if it will have to be reapplied after some time but the finish is usually a very deep rich look which would be nice in your room.

Polyurethane is like a plastic. I’ve never liked a plastic coating on natural wood. The exception is varnish on natural wood on boats because of the elements.

Last edited:

ddk

May 18, 2013
Utah
Some of the natural world in our 200-year-old house as a tung oil finish. I’ve also used linseed oil. If you go this route, I don’t know if it will have to be reapplied after some time but the finish is usually a very deep rich look which would be nice in your room.

Polyurethane is like a plastic. I’ve never liked a plastic coating on natural wood. The exception is varnish on natural wood on boats because of the elements.
I agree! Prefer pure Tung oil to linseed and you don't need to reapply for years and years.

david

Reactions: the sound of Tao

Mike Lavigne

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
Apr 25, 2010
my 2 cents is you don't want a soft grained wood surface. you want a sealed cabinet surface that will be consistent. you want an engineered product of some sort. then you figure it out and it remains figured out. a stain is like shingles on a house. it ages and changes.

my whole room, walls and ceilings are finish grade 3/4" maple ply. damn heavy and screwed and glued. i have cloth over it where i need it for dealing with reflective glare, but other places i get the full energy. and now 16 years in it is still the same as new.

a soft grain stained wood will absorb and alter the tonality. and it will do it unpredictably. do you feel lucky?

and of course, if you are dealing with solid wood and not veneer you are going to have warping too. temperature change cycles will eventually do their dirty deeds.

as far as wood as art i agree.....stain has that soft finish. but you don't see a stained open grained wood on a guitar or violin or double bass. why?

Last edited:

Ron Resnick

Jan 24, 2015
Beverly Hills, CA

The edges and back of the walnut panels were stained grey with the Rubio Monocoat Oil Plus 2C. So I think the other five sides of the planks have been sealed, or at least protected.

The coating I am considering now for the walnut panels at this point is a water-based coating which somehow looks invisible -- the wood ends up looking completely untreated.

Last edited:

the sound of Tao

Jul 18, 2014
D187CB3F-3774-4EF3-B2CD-C34FB0B27618.jpeg
Also just used pure Tung Oil on my last place for doors, interior walls and ceiling... adds a nice density and on interiors lasts many years.

Ron Resnick

Jan 24, 2015
Beverly Hills, CA
Thank you for your assistance, gentlemen.

My concern with oils is that they darken or in some way change the natural appearance of the wood. The coating I am investigating is some kind of very light polyurethane, but it has no sheen or shine whatsoever, and somehow it leaves the wood looking completely untreated.

As long as there is no evidence that polyurethane changes the acoustic properties of the underlying walnut or changes sonic reflectivity, I think I am okay with this product.

Ron Resnick

Jan 24, 2015
Beverly Hills, CA

Audiophile Bill

Mar 23, 2015
Thank you for your assistance, gentlemen.

My concern with oils is that they darken or in some way change the natural appearance of the wood. The coating I am investigating is some kind of very light polyurethane, but it has no sheen or shine whatsoever, and somehow it leaves the wood looking completely untreated.

As long as there is no evidence that polyurethane changes the acoustic properties of the underlying walnut or changes sonic reflectivity, I think I am okay with this product.

Hi Ron,

I would personally avoid using a (plastic) poly finish on your walnut. Poly does affect the sound - I have tested various finishes over the last nearly 2 years and agree you are better with an oil or other natural finish. That being said, walnut isn’t known for its tonal properties per se so if it is more about the looks and you don’t want to darken the wood, then you might not have much choice.

One finish that doesn’t darken, is easy to apply, doesn’t crack, can be repaired, is hard wax oil - various brands available now. For the enormous surface area you are covering, I would use that myself. I would personally use the Osmo Polyx clear matte.

By the way - are you sure that the poly won’t crack as the wood moves? The plastic finishes do have a tendency to crack compared to other natural finishes and repairing it is a total mare.

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
Ron, irrespective of what you think of shun Mook vs still points, one would never paint over a shun Mook rack. It's criminal. Same with walnut

the sound of Tao

Jul 18, 2014
Hi Ron,

I would personally avoid using a (plastic) poly finish on your walnut. Poly does affect the sound - I have tested various finishes over the last nearly 2 years and agree you are better with an oil or other natural finish. That being said, walnut isn’t known for its tonal properties per se so if it is more about the looks and you don’t want to darken the wood, then you might not have much choice.

One finish that doesn’t darken, is easy to apply, doesn’t crack, can be repaired, is hard wax oil - various brands available now. For the enormous surface area you are covering, I would use that myself. I would personally use the Osmo Polyx clear matte.

By the way - are you sure that the poly won’t crack as the wood moves? The plastic finishes do have a tendency to crack compared to other natural finishes and repairing it is a total mare.
Wood moves with humidity... poly not so much. But that walnut does look lovely.

the sound of Tao

Jul 18, 2014
Ron, irrespective of what you think of shun Mook vs still points, one would never paint over a shun Mook rack. It's criminal. Same with walnut
Lol, how did Stillpoints v Shun mook work its way in here :p

Ron Resnick

Jan 24, 2015
Beverly Hills, CA
The thin polyurethane I am considering apparently is designed to maintain elasticity to move with the wood.

I, personally, not knowing anything about wood or wood-working or wood finishing, thought that at least traditional polyurethane was kind of a hard and clear and coating/covering type of finish. Whatever this product is it literally looks like there is nothing on the wood. The porosity of the wood is still there; the wood doesn't look or feel sealed or "closed-up" or covered.

Reactions: Audiophile Bill

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
Reactions: the sound of Tao

Audiophile Bill

Mar 23, 2015
Reactions: bonzo75

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
Ked the Altec 817 you posted is stained plywood not proper hardwood in the traditional sense. The Markus K horn in the other Altec mid horn looks like walnut.

Yes it's Baltic birch

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing