AK (hot rodded) Ampex ATR-102's w/MR-70 Preamps replaces my Studers.

Mike Lavigne

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
Apr 25, 2010
3 years ago my local friend Andrew Kosobutsky (AK) finally convinced me to allow him to bring one of his his Ampex ATR-102's over to my room to directly compare to my Studer A-820 with King Cello repro. even at that point in his ATR-102 development/optimization process, it easily bettered my Studer/King Cello combo. Andrew had been working on Ampex ATR-102's for awhile, investigating, upgrading, tweaking, and had talked to me about switching to his massaged Ampex's. but i loved my Studers, the elegance, the beauty, the ease of tape handling, and really was not wanting to change. but he did plant the seed. since then Andrew has continue to work on his growing collection of ATR-102's and has also been working on assembling MR-70 preamps and refining the ATR-102/MR-70 combination. he has supplied ATR-102's and MR-70's to a few friends of mine and they are thrilled. and as good as it was 3 years ago, it's better now.

last September i agreed to buy 2 rebuilt decks from him; one ATR-102 with 1/4" and 1/2" heads and guides, and another ATR-102 with 1/2" heads optimized for the MR-70 preamps. i would need to sell my 2 Studer A-820's and King Cello repro pre to fund this move. both these 'AK' ATR decks have outboard power supplies, and are heavily modded. the non MR-70 deck can record, the MR-70 deck is not set up to record.

you might see ATR-102's out there. you might see MR-70 preamps out there. but don't confuse any stock aged ATR or stock aged MR-70 pre with these. i asked Andrew to write some info details about his work on these decks and pre's. he was wary to share some of his hard learned tricks. but i did get him to list this;

AK upgrade work for the ATR-102 tape recorder:
This is a hi-end audiophile (AK) approach to make whole system (electronically and mechanically) to reproduce tape records as close as possible to original recording.

Rebuild and critical upgrades includes:
-Power Supply – solution implemented to achieve a high-quality remote power source for all electronic parts and circuits.
-Common and Audio grounding upgrade.
-Top hi-end quality of power cable, interconnect wires, sockets and plugs.
-Internal Electronic Cards and Audio In/Out System upgrade - substantially improved audio circuitry and mechanical controls.
-Capstan, motors, tape guides full revision and bearings upgrade.
-Numerous tests and analysis to optimize the deck performance to achieve 0db deviation…within +/- 0.25 (highs, mids), +/-0.5db (lows).
-Full cosmetic restoration.
-Flux Magnetics heads set.

As an option, the ATR-102 can be wired for reproduction combined with Ampex MR-70 Preamps.
-Flux Magnetics playback head used per the MR-70 spec.
-Electronic circuitry upgrades and modifications for optimal performance and cohesive synergy with the ATR-102 deck.
-Top hi-end quality of power cable, interconnect wires, sockets and plugs.
-Full cosmetic renovation.
-Adjusted and calibrated for +/- 0.25dB flat frequency response.

30 ips, 'AK' ATR-102

1675314826649.png

15 ips, 'AK' ATR-102/MR-70

1675315029797.png

Last edited:

Mike Lavigne

Apr 25, 2010
picture 1---the two external power supplies with attached 'AK' power cords. notice the silver on/off switch on top of the power supply. the normal one near the heads is disabled.
picture 2---other side of the power supply.
picture 3---close up of the left side 1/2" MR-70 ATR-102
picture 4---custom umbilical to power supply.

AK ATR-1 (1 of 1).jpg
AK ATR-2 (1 of 1).jpg
AK ATR-5 (1 of 1).jpg
AK ATR-6 (1 of 1).jpg

Last edited:

Mike Lavigne

Apr 25, 2010
how do they sound?

i mostly listened to tape all last week. both the 'AK' ATR/MR-70 and the hotrod stock 'AK' ATR-102. i'm in lust. i was in Dallas this past weekend Thursday to Sunday. i've not yet pulled out my vinyl to put it to the test. any perceptions are provisional. but the sky is the limit. i'm going to slow walk this part and not get ahead of myself.

it could be the finest reproduced music source anywhere. but i have work to do.

Last edited:

Ron Resnick

Site Co-Owner, Administrator
Jan 24, 2015
Beverly Hills, CA
Congratulations, Mike, on embarking upon this new project! I look forward to learning about how far the ATR-102/MR70 combination can raise the ceiling on tape playback!

Reactions: Mike Lavigne

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
Foxbat has 5 Ampex machines including the ATR 102, and also other decks including Studers. I think he loves his ATR 102 and Ampex 350 the most. Some of his comments here

dminches

Oct 22, 2011
Great stuff Mike. I am always most jealous of optimized tape playback.

Mike Lavigne

Apr 25, 2010
Foxbat has 5 Ampex machines including the ATR 102, and also other decks including Studers. I think he loves his ATR 102 and Ampex 350 the most. Some of his comments here

'AK' has an original MR-70 transport, the Ampex 351, he will be doing his magic with. of course, it will be 'improved' in his own way as are the 'AK' ATR-102's like mine. not sure he will do as much painstaking work on every system as with the 102 efforts. we will see.

can't argue with Foxbat.....

back in 2007-2011 i did own a refurbished (by Precision Motor Works) 'stock' Ampex ATR-102 which when compared directly to my stock Studer A-820 at the time i did very slightly prefer. with the King Cello i then preferred the Studer by a larger margin, and with it's more user friendly interfaces especially switching EQ's i ended up mostly using the Studers. later i added the 'Studer' Trafoless output cards to (all three of my) the Studer(s) which possibly might have boosted the 'stock' Studer performance beyond the stock ATR-102.....although by that time i had sold my ATR.

Last edited:

dcathro

Sep 16, 2016
Melbourne, Australia
Wow, they look just gorgeous! Congratulations!

Do they sound identical, or is there some personality to the two machines?

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
'AK' has an original MR-70 transport, the Ampex 351, he will be doing his magic with. of course, it will be 'improved' in his own way as are the 'AK' ATR-102's like mine. not sure he will do as much painstaking work on every system as with the 102 efforts. we will see.

can't argue with Foxbat.....

back in 2007-2011 i did own a refurbished (by Precision Motor Works) 'stock' Ampex ATR-102 which when compared directly to my stock Studer A-820 at the time i did very slightly prefer. with the King Cello i then preferred the Studer by a larger margin, and with it's more user friendly interfaces especially switching EQ's i ended up mostly using the Studers. later i added the 'Studer' Trafoless output cards to (all three of my) the Studer(s) which possibly might have boosted the 'stock' Studer performance beyond the stock ATR-102.....although by that time i had sold my ATR.

So you are just starting another cycle. wonder where your analog goes next.

spiritofmusic

Jun 13, 2013
E. England
Maybe one of Mik's hot rodded Rockport Sirius?

Mike Lavigne

Apr 25, 2010
Wow, they look just gorgeous! Congratulations!
thank you!
Do they sound identical, or is there some personality to the two machines?
mechanically they are the same. 'AK' (my friend Andrew Kosobutsky) did the same upgrades to each you can read about in the original post. but the MR-70 deck has a different version of the Flux Magnetic heads to conform to the MR-70 spec, and then of course it has the outboard MR-70 preamps....compared to tweaked original internal solid state output circuits in the non MR-70 deck.

i'm still getting my head around the sonics, so it's early to try and define the differences exactly; but maybe for now think about the stock 'AK' as a supercharged version of what my solid state Studer/King Cello was doing, whereas the MR-70 lives in a 'Nuvistor Tube' world beyond in terms of ease and musical rightness. the MR-70's preamps were the best of the best in the late 60's......and this is a bettered version of that. trying not to get into any sort of relative descriptions yet.

Last edited:

Mike Lavigne

Apr 25, 2010
Maybe one of Mik's hot rodded Rockport Sirius?
i know what some have paid for those, and i could never even think about it. one of his i use to own. selling it, maybe the biggest gear mistake i've made......although not sure i had the resources or single-mindedness to overcome the maintenance challenges that Mik did to get it to where it is now.

Tom B.

Member Sponsor
Jul 10, 2011
As a fellow MR-70 owner, I'll be enthusiastically following this thread to read about your ultimate opinion on the Nuvistor-based electronics. Despite a fair number of excellent tape machines and PB electronics having passed through my shop/audio room - the MR-70s have pretty much set a high mark (pic shows alignment of machines before recent shootout).

Much of what you'll read about the MR-70's development and production numbers is purely lore, but the performance the Ampex engineers were after was absolutely achieved.

-Tom

20200111_144019.jpg

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
As a fellow MR-70 owner, I'll be enthusiastically following this thread to read about your ultimate opinion on the Nuvistor-based electronics. Despite a fair number of excellent tape machines and PB electronics having passed through my shop/audio room - the MR-70s have pretty much set a high mark (pic shows alignment of machines before recent shootout).

Much of what you'll read about the MR-70's development and production numbers is purely lore, but the performance the Ampex engineers were after was absolutely achieved.

-Tom

View attachment 103834

Wow tape through Martin Logans. Great system

Tom B.

Member Sponsor
Jul 10, 2011
Wow tape through Martin Logans. Great system
Martin Logans - Atma Sphere...and...more MR-70s. So yes - very familiar with their sonic characteristics. Anxious to hear what Mike reports back about his A.K. built machines.

Tom 20220702_113023.jpg

Mike Lavigne

Apr 25, 2010
Martin Logans - Atma Sphere...and...more MR-70s. So yes - very familiar with their sonic characteristics. Anxious to hear what Mike reports back about his A.K. built machines.

Tom
hi Tom,

blown away by your Ampex collection. Bravo!!! well done Sir!

are some of those Ampex 300/350-2's or 300/350-3's? or are they all MR-70's?

i don't know the visuals well enough to tell. i did briefly own an original 350-2 in travel cases but traded it for other gear years ago.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing