Studer A820 Versus Ampex ATR-102

c1ferrari

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
May 15, 2010
Haven't perused all the replies...

Eddy Schreyer offered me my choice of 2-CH tape decks: Studer A-820 and ATR-102. When I inquired about the difference, Eddy indicated, among other things, the ATR was more "punchy-sounding" and the Studer was "smoother-sounding." I tried either deck at Oasis Mastering and rapidly realized my inadequacy as a Tape Op! :oops:

I chose the Studer because of its superior transport.

astrotoy

VIP/Donor
May 24, 2010
SF Bay Area
Simple.... convenience....
Bruce, am I understanding you correctly? I was asking why should an audiophile choose an A820 over an A80. I thought from the discussion that an A820 was not more simple or convenient than an A80.

Thanks, Larry

c1ferrari

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
May 15, 2010
Larry,

I believe Bruce did respond...convenience -- switching head blocks and rollers are a routine task, switching between various tape stock, i.e., formulations, and EQ's is ridiculously easy...the A-820 has an identifier that recognizes the head stack and tape tensions are also automatically recalled.

With respect to repair, the A-820 is not more simple due to all of the logic. Indeed, ease of repair is one of the primary reasons, I believe, that people choose the ATR. Studios, I should think, would not countenance excessive downtime.

Jan 18, 2012
Drobak Norway
don´t forget the A820 is full of switch mode psu´s as well and they´re not considered an easy fix...
A810 is simpler transport but same audio cards....
I´m happy with my 2 A80RC´s
for recording/dubbing over on different tapes I have 3-4 sets of record cards
best
Leif

Bruce B

WBF Founding Member, Pro Audio Production Member
Apr 25, 2010
Snohomish, WA
www.pugetsoundstudios.com
Bruce, am I understanding you correctly? I was asking why should an audiophile choose an A820 over an A80. I thought from the discussion that an A820 was not more simple or convenient than an A80.

Thanks, Larry

Like Mike said..... changing EQ, tape width, program modes.... the A820 has it all. Just press a damn button!!

The complexity comes in when something goes awry!

astrotoy

VIP/Donor
May 24, 2010
SF Bay Area
Thanks, Bruce and Sam and Leif, I think I got it. Easy to use, not easy to fix. Larry

maurizio_m!

Sep 22, 2015
Ciao a tutti
Sono nuovo nel forum....sono un fan di RTR e ne ho diversi...
Avete mai provato ad ascoltare lo stesso master tape su un A820 e su un ATR102 su un impianto stereo che non conoscete... senza sapere quale apparecchio sta suonando nel momento in cui state ascoltando?? Naturalmente sia revisionato che tarato come da manuale di servizio...
Grazie
Maurizio

Ron Resnick

Site Co-Owner, Administrator
Jan 24, 2015
Beverly Hills, CA
I used Google Translate to get:

Hi everyone
I'm new to the forum....I'm a fan of RTR and I have several...
Have you ever tried to listen to the same master tape on an A820 and an ATR102 on an unfamiliar stereo system... without knowing which device is playing at the moment you are listening?? Naturally both overhauled and calibrated as per the service manual...
Thank you
Maurice

Bruce B

WBF Founding Member, Pro Audio Production Member
Apr 25, 2010
Snohomish, WA
www.pugetsoundstudios.com
It is very easy to tell the Ampex, as it has much clearer voice. The A820 has the typical later Studer veiled sound.
Nowadays.... you can make a Studer sound just about any way you want it..... punchy... veiled... lush... digital.... etc....

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing