AK (hot rodded) Ampex ATR-102's w/MR-70 Preamps replaces my Studers.

adrianywu

Nov 15, 2021
You are a very lucky man! It was my inability to get consistently good tapes that caused me to sell my reel to reel and all my tapes. After I spent $500 for a Steely Dan Aja tape that my $50 MOFI record absolutely crushed, I was turned off.
It is not really the number of tapes/LPs that counts, but how many you actually enjoy listening to. I won't go as far as to say that with the limited time I have, I just stick to the music and recordings that I love, as I do explore other recordings. But for most commercial releases, I would say streaming is pretty adequate, since there are really not that many great recordings (great performance + great sound) made, and I believe most of those were made during the analogue era. Therefore, my philosophy is to acquire the best format for my most beloved recordings, and use streaming for the rest. That way, I am not spending a lot of money on LPs that I might listen a few times, saving the money to get tapes that I will come back to time and time again. There are tape archivists with extensive master tape collections that can be a source of good transfers, but these are personal connections, not business transactions.

Reactions: sligolad

Mike Lavigne

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
Apr 25, 2010
But I will run out of time before I run out of tapes..........
it turns out when you wrote that, as a reaction to my Wadax streaming point that i will never run out of things to listen to....
It is not really the number of tapes/LPs that counts, but how many you actually enjoy listening to. I won't go as far as to say that with the limited time I have, I just stick to the music and recordings that I love, as I do explore other recordings. But for most commercial releases, I would say streaming is pretty adequate, since there are really not that many great recordings (great performance + great sound) made, and I believe most of those were made during the analogue era. Therefore, my philosophy is to acquire the best format for my most beloved recordings, and use streaming for the rest. That way, I am not spending a lot of money on LPs that I might listen a few times, saving the money to get tapes that I will come back to time and time again. There are tape archivists with extensive master tape collections that can be a source of good transfers, but these are personal connections, not business transactions.
what you really meant to say was that you do exactly what i do. listen to the analog (tape or vinyl) when in the mood, but enjoy streaming for other times and new titles.:rolleyes:

and you, in fact, have a finite amount of tapes, but can listen to them over and over since you enjoy them so much.

just a different thing than you inferred.

i've pretty much only acquired tapes i intended to frequently listen to. as it works out, over time not all of them were better than my vinyl. so that is a factor in which tapes i do continue to listen to. although as my tape playback has improved i am re-investigating this factor.

Mike Lavigne

Apr 25, 2010
tonight did some more tapes. two Tape Project Tapes; 'Waltz For Debbie', reel 2, and 'Exotic Dances from the Opera' both reels.

these tapes and music are very well known to me, in all formats, although the RR vinyl of Exotic Dances is digitally sourced and honestly i don't care for it much. but the digital file is very fine, used the digital, CD and files, for years as one of my references. played both these tapes often on my Studer.

i finally can fully appreciate just how amazing Reference Recordings recording process is. not sure i've heard this level of textures, especially from the Exotic Dances tapes. it's just so real and open. the unique extremely low noise floor and micro dynamic ease of the ATR/MR-70 plays to the strength of the recordings. what comes to mind is; am i hearing what is possible from a recorded sound source? i'm sure other things i've heard got close to this, but i don't recall ever putting it all together quite like this. i hear new musical lines i do not recall ever hearing. both reels of Exotic Dances are "suspension of disbelief" territory from beginning to end. i'm not commenting on the performance here as it's not my expertise, but this is fantastic music reproduction. the 'Waltz for Debbie' was almost as special, but i've never heard classical this well recorded; especially full orchestral. and my 'Waltz for Debbie' vinyl is very good so the 'leap' to this tape is not as profound.

the other thing that comes to mind......is.......just why Professor Keith Johnson won't allow more of his RR tape library to be used. it's a treasure. not the first time i've whined about that. :rolleyes:

Last edited:

Mike Lavigne

Apr 25, 2010
today i am excited to share the news that my friend Andrey Kosobutsky (AK) is the new owner of ATR Services, Inc. He purchased it from Mike Spitz's wife Bette. Andrey will be moving it from Pennsylvania to the Seattle area.

i'm excited for Andrey, but also i'm excited for the whole Ampex Nation and Tape nation as he will bring new energy and high expectations to the brand and format.

here is the old website.

Andrey is working on a new website.

Ron Resnick

Site Co-Owner, Administrator
Jan 24, 2015
Beverly Hills, CA
Thank you for letting us know, Mike!

c1ferrari

May 15, 2010
my friend Andrew (AK) is here today installing the 1/4" MR-70 preamps, with the Flux Magnetic heads, doing calibration now. these MR 70 preamps are joining the ones for the 1/2" i already had.

we have decided to use both ATR-102's for the MR-70 preamps, 1/4" and 1/2" separate, so i won't need to swap headblocks and plug and unplug cables to the MR-70 preamps.

listening reports later.

View attachment 106955
View attachment 106956
View attachment 106960 Ni
Nice Mike :) I notice an Audio Precision analyzer, too. :cool:

Reactions: Mike Lavigne

Mike Lavigne

Apr 25, 2010
Andrey (AK) completed my switch between the two decks and my dart pre. allows me to easily switch between the two sets of MR 70's. absolutely transparent. sits on the 2nd shelf behind one of the MR 70 pre chassis. it's direct wired at the switch so there is only one extra set of plugs. he used his own cables which are top shelf. the last little piece to my tape journey.

now just listening. acquiring more tapes.

IMG_0858.jpeg
IMG_0859.jpeg

dminches

Oct 22, 2011
@Mike Lavigne Are the 2 sets of preamps different which led you to want to have the ability to switch between them?

Mike Lavigne

Apr 25, 2010
@Mike Lavigne Are the 2 sets of preamps different which led you to want to have the ability to switch between them?
sorry David, somehow in my retirement excitement and trip to SoCal i missed your question until now.

and the answer is no; the two sets of MR 70 preamps are not different; however, the adjustments for the 1/4" and 1/2" EQ are different, and switching headblocks would be problematic with all the ultra grounding tricks Andery has implemented. so practically to have both 1/4" and 1/2" for the MR-70 for an non techie end user such as myself, best to be discrete and use two decks and sets of preamps so it would not be so daunting to be able to switch back and forth. i can say that i would never go thru all the steps each time. it's a lot of coin but very nice to have it so easy. and i had three Studer A-820's at one point plus the King Cello......so this is not much more decadent than that. and sounds lots better.

Mike Lavigne

Apr 25, 2010
and btw, tonight i'm listening to some delicious tapes i had not played in maybe 10 years. this is down home americana blues, some organ, honky tonk piano, and guitar and it's just lit me up big time. maybe the best listening session i have ever had (getting carried away and loving it). wow!!! double wow!!! the ATR-102 and MR-70 is really stepping out.

Buddy Tate, Clarence Gatemouth Brown and Lloyd Glenn.

looking forward to sharing these tapes with some visitors to my room, this week leading up to and at night during the Puget Sound Audio Fest Audio Show at the airport here in Seattle.

kodomo

Apr 26, 2017
My biggest audio regret is letting this 102 go!
Good news! I will be able to buy back my 102, hopefully soon. I just had a baby boy (20 days old now) so can not concentrate on much else for the moment :)

Mike Lavigne

Apr 25, 2010
Good news! I will be able to buy back my 102, hopefully soon. I just had a baby boy (20 days old now) so can not concentrate on much else for the moment :)
congrats on your new son, that the best thing (along with my daughter) that ever happened to me.

and also nice you got your ATR back..... :)

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
@Mike Lavigne did Andrew AK Ampex get a Dava. And he has evolution acoustics, Dart, and NVS?

Last edited:

Mike Lavigne

Apr 25, 2010

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
yes he did. not only that, but he found out Darius speaks fluent Russian. so they are now buds. two very fertile minds.

ok, I don’t speak Russian not looks like the mind and ears I have in common with them.

Good to know he chose Dava from your carts ;)

Mike Lavigne

Apr 25, 2010
ok, I don’t speak Russian not looks like the mind and ears I have in common with them.

Good to know he chose Dava from your carts ;)
the way it happened is that Andrew met Jonathan Tinn through me years ago and was very close with Jonathan. Andrew purchased the NVS, Tosca and DaVa as a package from Jonathan's family after Jonathan passed. Jonathan originally did get the DaVa somewhat due to my interest in it. Andrew had heard it in my system but likely was not really paying much attention as tape decks were on his mind then.

Andrew actually sent the DaVa back to Darius for some attention, and not sure he received it back yet.

Reactions: bonzo75

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing