AK (hot rodded) Ampex ATR-102's w/MR-70 Preamps replaces my Studers.

Tom B.

Member Sponsor
Jul 10, 2011
hi Tom,

blown away by your Ampex collection. Bravo!!! well done Sir!

are some of those Ampex 300/350-2's or 300/350-3's? or are they all MR-70's?

i don't know the visuals well enough to tell. i did briefly own an original 350-2 in travel cases but traded it for other gear years ago.
Mike-

The machine next to the ATR is a 1/4" MR-70 modified by International Recording Co - it has Flux heads and four-speed capstan servo. The two machines on the right wall are a 1/2" 3-TK MR-70, also modified by IRC with full Flux head assembly, and a 1/2" 2-TK MR-70 rebuilt by Precision Motor Works with Flux heads and modifications that allow full bias/erasure of modern tape (which stock MR70s cannot do). The electronics in that last machine have all custom wiring, caps by Purple Audio - nothing remains that wasn't upgraded.

The two machines at the front of the room are a 440B and 44C - no slouch if done right.

I do recall you owning a 350-2, and they can sound incredible. You just have to get past the transport's tape handling which is archaic by today's standards.

Tom

Mike Lavigne

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
Apr 25, 2010
Mike-

The machine next to the ATR is a 1/4" MR-70 modified by International Recording Co - it has Flux heads and four-speed capstan servo. The two machines on the right wall are a 1/2" 3-TK MR-70, also modified by IRC with full Flux head assembly, and a 1/2" 2-TK MR-70 rebuilt by Precision Motor Works with Flux heads and modifications that allow full bias/erasure of modern tape (which stock MR70s cannot do). The electronics in that last machine have all custom wiring, caps by Purple Audio - nothing remains that wasn't upgraded.

The two machines at the front of the room are a 440B and 44C - no slouch if done right.
thanks. awesome stuff.
I do recall you owning a 350-2, and they can sound incredible. You just have to get past the transport's tape handling which is archaic by today's standards.

Tom
i dropped my 350-2 off with local Seattle Ampex expert, Dave Distenfass, for a complete rebuild, when i traded it away. had looked forward to having it in my room as an American balance to the Swiss Studer.

Foxbat

Jun 11, 2020
The 3xx and 4xx series Ampexes lack some modern day niceties, but they still handle the tape well... provided you adjust your ways slightly. For instance, never hit Stop from a rewind. :)

I also added an electronic tape counter to one of them, makes it much more convenient.

Last edited:

Afveep

Jun 9, 2010
www.xtremefidelity.net
Congrats Mike! As a fellow ATR-102 owner, all I can say is WOW! I look forward to hearing more on these wonderful machines and your listening impressions.
All the best,
Tom

astrotoy

VIP/Donor
May 24, 2010
SF Bay Area
Double WOW. Congrats to you Mike. Since Betty closed ATR Services, AK looks like he is the person to go to, especially with his improvements and add ons. Being able to have both a 1/4" and 1/2" deck is a very nice luxury in playing tapes. I have four headstacks (2 each 1/4" and 1/2") for my two ATR-102s, which makes it easy to dub any combination of 1/4" and 1/2" tapes. One great advantage for the 102's is how fast and easy it is to switch headstacks.

I really like the beauty of the Studers, especially compared to the industrial look of my 102's. But in a darkened room with the tapes rolling, it provides all the beauty that I desire.

Larry

astrotoy

VIP/Donor
May 24, 2010
SF Bay Area
Martin Logans - Atma Sphere...and...more MR-70s. So yes - very familiar with their sonic characteristics. Anxious to hear what Mike reports back about his A.K. built machines.

Tom View attachment 103836
Tom, that is an incredible set up!! Larry

dcathro

Sep 16, 2016
Melbourne, Australia

microstrip

VIP/Donor
May 30, 2010
Portugal
Just saw this thread - congratulations Mike! Although I never saw or listened to the ATR 102, going through the Manquen web site www.manquen.net/ and other technical sites created great in me respect for such a top machine.

Reactions: Mike Lavigne

Mike Lavigne

Apr 25, 2010
Just saw this thread - congratulations Mike! Although I never saw or listened to the ATR 102, going through the Manquen web site www.manquen.net/ and other technical sites created great in me respect for such a top machine.
thanks Francisco,

on the same level mechanically as my Studer A-820's. not as slick, as elegant, or as easy to use, but reaches the same performance heights.

it's possible it's more simple approach lends itself for more opportunities to find more improvements with our more modern tools and materials of today. sure sounds that way to me so far.

there is a 'hair shirt' crude-ness/simplicity aspect to the Ampex compared to my Studer/King Cello..

1-basically i'm going to have to plug and unplug interconnects switching decks, or using my digital instead of tape. my dart pre only has one XLR input (the King Cello used the 50 ohm 'zeel' BNC cables and input on the dart pre).
2--switching from IEC to NAB requires changing cards. no simple switch like the Studer. switching from 1/4" to 1/2" requires different cards too. not on the Studer. the headblock and guides are quicker to change on the ATR.
3--have to reach down behind the unit on the floor to the outboard power supply to turn the deck on and off. when i use the MR-70 have to turn each preamp on and off.
4--in rewind there is no sensor (as in the A-820) to 'tell by slowing rewind way down' when coming near the end of the rewind to hit stop, have to watch closely. and no 'zero' button to take the tape back to the 'zero' point on the time meter if i choose.

OTOH last week when i was listening to tape after tape the simplicity of the ATR's made the experience more pleasant. once i got my muscle memory down it was all second nature.

it's a very nice 'hair shirt'.

Last edited:

Foxbat

Jun 11, 2020
4--in rewind there is no sensor (as in the A-820) to 'tell by slowing rewind way down' when coming near the end of the rewind to hit stop, have to watch closely. and no 'zero' button to take the tape back to the 'zero' point on the time meter if i choose.
You can install the accessory, the Return to Cue control panel on the left side. It is a very nice addition... when it works. They are somewhat problematic. It plugs internally into the control bus.

It will return to any point you select on the tape, not just zero.

Reactions: Mike Lavigne

Mike Lavigne

Apr 25, 2010
You can install the accessory, the Return to Cue control panel on the left side. It is a very nice addition... when it works. They are somewhat problematic. It plugs internally into the control bus.

It will return to any point you select on the tape, not just zero.
good to know. thanks. i need to see how i use these, and whether i'm re-playing tracks and such often enough to justify it. on the Studer it's just there when you need it. so not conscious how often i use it.

Foxbat

Jun 11, 2020
You are welcom. Here it is on one of my machines. I often use it.

BTW, another nice accessory is full function wired remote control. Remote 3.jpg

Platters 3.jpg

Last edited:

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
thanks,

and congrats to you, Gary, for your 'AK' ATR-102/MR-70!!!

i'm following your lead!

in the two of you, who is following whom? Seem like mirror images

Mike Lavigne

Apr 25, 2010
in the two of you, who is following whom? Seem like mirror images
if we just keep it to tape decks relevant to this thread, i sold rad my refurbished by Precision Motor Works Ampex ATR-102 back in 2011. i've had only my Studer's since then, and rad (Gary) got with AK (my friend Andrew Kosobutsky) for Ampex upgrades including the MR-70 long before me as i was in Studer bliss.

AK (Andrew) met Jonathan Tinn (dart distributor and owner of Evolution Acoustics) thru me, and rad met AK through Jonathan. Jonathan got into tape thru hearing it in my system. truth be told, i got AK first into tape around 2010. he heard it a few times in my system. i sold him my Tim De Paravicini modded Technics RS-1700. then he went commando on tape.

my serious tape journey started with the Tape Project in 2007, prior to almost anyone among serious audiophiles. there was a tape underground going on before that, but little tape action. tape was mostly 7.5ips or 3.75ips on 7" reels with auto-reversing 4 tracks.

from my memory, 18 years ago i got into darTZeel and then Evolution Acoustics (bought the second pair of MM3's built) prior to rad jumping into them. i think i got MM7's prior to rad.

that's what i recall....rad can correct me if i mixed it up.

Last edited:

astrotoy

VIP/Donor
May 24, 2010
SF Bay Area
Mike, does AK have a website about his ATRs. I get the occasion request about how to get a high quality ATR-102. I used to send them to Betty at ATR Services. Thanks, Larry

Foxbat

Jun 11, 2020
Well, I am certainly not a "serious audiophile", but I was using high speed machines back in the seventies. :)

Reactions: christoph

Mike Lavigne

Apr 25, 2010
Mike, does AK have a website about his ATRs. I get the occasion request about how to get a high quality ATR-102. I used to send them to Betty at ATR Services. Thanks, Larry
AK (Andrew) does not have any website, but he ok'd me posting his contact info.

akosobutsky@comcast.net
206-419-7679

Andrew owns 3 ATR Services Aria's and is working to improve the original design. Andrew also found some MRL calibration tapes were 'wrong' and did some of his own that are correct. he is a high flyer.

Last edited:
Reactions: Dan Labrie and rad

Mike Lavigne

Apr 25, 2010
Well, I am certainly not a "serious audiophile", but I was using high speed machines back in the seventies. :)
you were part of the underground. ;)

for sure there were serious tape heads prior to the Tape Project. but there was no information out there for audiophiles to find. you had to know the secret handshake. i know because i looked. looked hard. nothing. i had to scrape around to find my ATR-102 and my first Studer. 6 months to a year after i got my decks, info started to come out and the Tape Project started their on line forum. from there it opened up more each year.

Last edited:

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing