Alexandria three-dimensionality?

caesar

May 30, 2010
Seems to me that one of the reasons Alexandria really stands head and shoulders above most speakers - in the Wilson line and from competitors - is because it makes music sound so three dimensional. That 3-d effect fools you into thinking you are there at the show, even with a sub-par recording.

Do you guys agree? How does it do that?

rockitman

Member Sponsor
Sep 20, 2011
Northern NY
As an Alexandria owner, I don't think you need to have a speaker at that price point or even near it to get that 3D, like I'm there feeling. It's all about setup, source components and room, imo. Higher end speakers typically do a better job with the illusion.

JackD201

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Manila, Philippines
I've heard them do it very, very well indeed. I've also heard them under optimized. I'm with Christian on this one. Like any other loudspeaker with high resolution and wide bandwidth, set up will make or break. Fortunately for X-2 owners, dealer set up is mandatory if bought brand new and the manual is very good if you get it used.

MylesBAstor

Apr 20, 2010
New York City
As an Alexandria owner, I don't think you need to have a speaker at that price point or even near it to get that 3D, like I'm there feeling. It's all about setup, source components and room, imo. Higher end speakers typically do a better job with the illusion.

No in fact some of the old mini monitors did an excellent job! :)

still-one

VIP/Donor
Aug 6, 2012
Milford, Michigan
Being an Alexandria owner for all of two months now what makes the X2 Series 2 special is the ability to recreate the sense of scale in music. I find this a trait of other large speakers including MBL's, Aida's, Focal EM's, etc.

Jim

mep

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
I think the term "sense of scale" and the ability to play back recordings with large dynamic swings effortlessly go hand in hand. Larger speaker systems have an inherent advantage over their smaller brethern with regards to being able to accomodate those dynamic swings and moving lots of air in the room and pressurizing it when called for. I think that sense of scale is what gets us closer to instruments sounding 'real.'

still-one

VIP/Donor
Aug 6, 2012
Milford, Michigan
I think the term "sense of scale" and the ability to play back recordings with large dynamic swings effortlessly go hand in hand. Larger speaker systems have an inherent advantage over their smaller brethern with regards to being able to accomodate those dynamic swings and moving lots of air in the room and pressurizing it when called for. I think that sense of scale is what gets us closer to instruments sounding 'real.'

I agree.

Bruce B

WBF Founding Member, Pro Audio Production Member
Apr 25, 2010
Snohomish, WA
www.pugetsoundstudios.com
I think the term "sense of scale" and the ability to play back recordings with large dynamic swings effortlessly go hand in hand.

But this goes the other way too. I don't like large speakers systems that make solo artists sound like they are 10' tall and 5' wide. I don't want to hear a 15' wide piano either! That's just not realistic!

Steve Williams

Site Founder, Site Owner, Administrator
But this goes the other way too. I don't like large speakers systems that make solo artists sound like they are 10' tall and 5' wide. I don't want to hear a 15' wide piano either! That's just not realistic!

you won't hear that with the X-2

That IMO was a huge difference between the X-1 Series lll and the X-2

LL21

Dec 26, 2010
you won't hear that with the X-2

That IMO was a huge difference between the X-1 Series lll and the X-2

what do you think it was that caused this soundstage size issue? what did they fix...did they ever mention it to you when you spoke with Wilson?

Steve Williams

Site Founder, Site Owner, Administrator
IIRC, this was discussed on the Wilson website. Now I can't honestly remember Lloyd if this might have been a comparison of the X-2 series l vs the X-2 Series ll.

My good buddy Frantz can hopefully chime in as he heard both those iterations at my house and it was the first comment he made re the reality of the sound stage and size of instruments

Andre Marc

Member Sponsor
Mar 14, 2012
San Diego
www.avrev.com

I agree 100%.

I felt the TAD system at CES did this. Totally artificial.

FrantzM

Apr 20, 2010
Hi

That is one uncanny thing about the X-2 they can sound as "small" as necessary. Images morph according to the pieces or the venue, if well recorded.. N o overblown images the way some big speakers tend to do.. They can as small and delicate as any mini-monitor .. On big piece they go big large and majestic ... They are among the very few big speakers I know that mange this. NAother point I think is worth mentioning is their uncanny imaging, as precise as a mni-monitor and they disappear in a room ...I am not a Wilson fan but these are likely the only Wilson speaker I could easily live with a long time ...
As for tri-dimensionality they do the trick but as Myles mentioned so do countless of mini-monitors and .. I would add, many speakers...

Bruce B

WBF Founding Member, Pro Audio Production Member
Apr 25, 2010
Snohomish, WA
www.pugetsoundstudios.com
As for tri-dimensionality they do the trick but as Myles mentioned so do countless of mini-monitors and .. I would add, many speakers...

Yeah, but you will never hear a mini-monitor that can provide the effortless majesty of the X-2's or other large full range speaker systems.

FrantzM

Apr 20, 2010
Yeah, but you will never hear a mini-monitor that can provide the effortless majesty of the X-2's or other large full range speaker.

You won't get me discussing that! I am a large speaker person ...

rockitman

Member Sponsor
Sep 20, 2011
Northern NY
Yeah, but you will never hear a mini-monitor that can provide the effortless majesty of the X-2's or other large full range speaker systems.

and when you get your software of choice well sorted ...I can think of another 3 that relates to music/repro: Stimulant, Narcotic, hallucinogen. :D

MylesBAstor

Apr 20, 2010
New York City

Yeah but I hear more the opposite problem with many speakers sounding like you're playing The Lilliputian Symphony Orchestra.

trponhunter

Apr 30, 2012
It's all about the recording.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing