Allnic A6000 Quad Parallel SET 300bxls Monoblocks - A Quick Review!

wh01sjongalt

Feb 26, 2019
Raleigh, NC, 27616
I recently took a chance on a pair Allnic A6000 that I saw listed on Audiogon used and I felt compelled to share my opinion of their sonic qualities. I was using an Art Audio Diavolo SET 300b Tube Amplifier up until very recently because my new Tekton Encores needed more power than 8wpc to really drive them properly. 8wpc was enough to get them going, but the amp would soft clip on certain bass notes and left me wanting to play louder without losing its composure and that SET-like holographic magic the Diavolo was capable of at more modest volume levels.

From the moment I unboxed the Allnics and set them up there was no mistaking their unbelievably good build quality and understated elegant looks. I quickly fed the Allnic a signal from my Ayon Audio Stealth Tube DAC just to get a bearing on the amps abilities. That listening session lasted 10 hours!

The first word I would associate with hearing the Allnics would be "haunting" or "startling". They have incredible dynamics both micro and macro. They do depth and soundstage about as good as I've heard in 44 years of listening to music. The decays and ambiance in recordings would just hang in the air and wash over you. There's a layering of sounds in the soundstage and unbelievable good delineation between instruments and voices. This was preserved even at volume levels too loud for me to ever need to be satiated. There was no sense of strain detected and the presentation was effortless and controlled. Having 60wpc of raw SET power from 4 pairs of Emission Labs 300bxls had me grinning from ear to ear.

Everything I threw at these amplifiers was served back to me in such a way to command my attention. Little nuances in songs that usually get buried were clear and exploded out of blackness. They are very quiet only exhibiting the faintest sound of hiss with my ear up to the tweeter array of my 96db/4ohm Tekton Encores and at 6" away it was complete silence.

These amps excel at sense of scale and just don't run out of steam even on big Kodo Drums or big orchestral pieces. Their ability to reach you at your core and stand the hairs up on you neck and give you goosebumps can not be understated. They simply make music sound more real and palpably fleshed out. I am ecstatic with my purchase and highly recommend anyone to give them a try!

Attachments

• 20190222_144909.jpg
    20190222_144909.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 41
  • 20190222_144829.jpg
    20190222_144829.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 34
  • 20190222_144854.jpg
    20190222_144854.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 34
  • IMG_20190217_165953_01.jpg
    IMG_20190217_165953_01.jpg
    949.8 KB · Views: 42
  • 20190226_162902.jpg
    20190226_162902.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 41
  • 20190226_162833.jpg
    20190226_162833.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 40
Last edited:

Exlibris

Oct 7, 2015
Canada
systems.audiogon.com
I recently took a chance on a pair Allnic A6000 that I saw listed on Audiogon used and I felt compelled to share my opinion of their sonic qualities. I was using an Art Audio Diavolo SET 300b Tube Amplifier up until very recently because my new Tekton Encores needed more power than 8wpc to really drive them properly. 8wpc was enough to get them going, but the amp would soft clip on certain bass notes and left me wanting to play louder without losing its composure and that SET-like holographic magic the Diavolo was capable of at more modest volume levels.

From the moment I unboxed the Allnics and set them up there was no mistaking their unbelievably good build quality and understated elegant looks. I quickly fed the Allnic a signal from my Ayon Audio Stealth Tube DAC just to get a bearing on the amps abilities. That listening session lasted 10 hours!

The first word I would associate with hearing the Allnics would be "haunting" or "startling". They have incredible dynamics both micro and macro. They do depth and soundstage about as good as I've heard in 44 years of listening to music. The decays and ambiance in recordings would just hang in the air and wash over you. There's a layering of sounds in the soundstage and unbelievable good delineation between instruments and voices. This was preserved even at volume levels too loud for me to ever need to be satiated. There was no sense of strain detected and the presentation was effortless and controlled. Having 60wpc of raw SET power from 4 pairs of Emission Labs 300bxls had me grinning from ear to ear.

Everything I threw at these amplifiers was served back to me in such a way to command my attention. Little nuances in songs that usually get buried were clear and exploded out of blackness. They are very quiet only exhibiting the faintest sound of hiss with my ear up to the tweeter array of my 96db/4ohm Tekton Encores and at 6" away it was complete silence.

These amps excel at sense of scale and just don't run out of steam even on big Kodo Drums or big orchestral pieces. Their ability to reach you at your core and stand the hairs up on you neck and give you goosebumps can not be understated. They simply make music sound more real and palpably fleshed out. I am ecstatic with my purchase and highly recommend anyone to give them a try!
I just bought a pair myself. I demoed them at the dealer but won't have them set up at home for a few weeks.

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
This is about Allnic A6000. It is a completely different speaker application, but the magical highs and decay was what was always enchanting, and once the Soulution preamp came in, the system transformed.

http://zero-distortion.org/soulution-pre-kr-va-200/

Exlibris

Oct 7, 2015
Canada
systems.audiogon.com
This is about Allnic A6000. It is a completely different speaker application, but the magical highs and decay was what was always enchanting, and once the Soulution preamp came in, the system transformed.

http://zero-distortion.org/soulution-pre-kr-va-200/
Thank you.
I found (as did 6moons) that there was quite a difference when the negative feedback was engaged and then disengaged. The feedback damps things down quite a bit. Did you ever play with that toggle switch? (I'm sorry if I missed that in your review)

Reactions: wh01sjongalt

Exlibris

Oct 7, 2015
Canada
systems.audiogon.com
Thank you.
I found (as did 6moons) that there was quite a difference when the negative feedback was engaged and then disengaged. The feedback damps things down quite a bit. Did you ever play with that toggle switch? (I'm sorry if I missed that in your review)
I suspect I'll be using zero negative feedback with the 94db efficient Odeons.

Reactions: wh01sjongalt

Peguinpower

Jul 22, 2021
It's hard on tubes. Best to bias at the bottom line or just left of it. The sound is fine either way.
How hard? If its a set of 300b a year, about 1000 hours, thats a $1000 bucks a year Id be real bummed to sustain.

Guidance appreciated.

Last edited:

wh01sjongalt

Feb 26, 2019
Raleigh, NC, 27616
what are your experiences with tube life?
Any premature failures?
I was on the original quad of used Emission Labs BXLS for just less than a year. I paid $2400 I think through RamLab (its worth the multi-month wait) which is always out of stock, more than willing to order them from Europe if you don't mind waiting a couple months. The other person who sells EML 300BXLS as lost his mind and my business charging $950 a pair, which I bet are even more expensive today.

Any way the EML 300BXLS is an unbelievably robust, sturdily made, and dynamic tube with detail and authority, over the overly euphonic warmth of most 300b which I actually love. They are just neutral and coherent, but damn if they aint dynamic as hell. These tube I've been told can get 20K-40K hours in conventional 300b 8wpc applications because they are loafing and designed to nearly output double the wattage at 15wpc. Hell the A6000 is the only SET amp to even exploit the 300bxls tube to it's potential. I warn you 8x300bxls put out 60wpc sounds wonderful until your sweating your ass off. It's an ungodly amount of heat. Adding a zone thermistat will cause your entire upstairs hvac zone run continously just trying to maintain 75f. You really need an open space and high ceilings, not a dedicated sound room with one hvac register to provide cooling. Great sounding amps, and frankly I would guess after taking the various SWAG inferences to the EMl 300BXLS lasting 20k-40k hours at 8wpc I've through some complex math (There's at least 50% truth in there somewhere or 20khrs with the tubes loafing at 8wpc) I divide by two because these are being driven twice as hard and then some so I finally reduce that 10k hours again by 50% to arrive at 5k hours give or take. So pessimistically 4k hours seemed perfectly reasonable for the EML, they are one of the only tube manufacturers that have an insane 5 Year Warranty if your register them in 4 weeks on purchasing them new from a legitimate source. I ran these amps with a new Quad for a year on average 10hrs a day and that's conservative. I'm almost certain I left it on many a night as I sweated the sweet nectar of my dreams. I'm that crazy audiophile who is always listening whether critically or not. I have poor coping skills for life, and music does soothe the savage yada yada yada.

Oh, I sold the the Allnics A6000 after 2 years. I've been a SET amp diehard since listening to 13 solid-state amps and not caring for any of them at the age of 25 (Spent most days at a boutique local dealer in San Jose) because they lack an emotional gestalt. I didnt care for their midrange and there's that microdynamic nuance thing that SETS do that is quite fleshed out and not simply holographic, but that P word reviewers (and myself) have used, but now it makes my ass feel like it's sucking a lemon.

My best friend, Mike, a fellow audiophile and 50% mentor in this hobby rarely encourages me to try a solid-state amp and for good reason, but all of his suggestions have been very good ones over 25 years. He asked me to try a Pass Labs XA25 solid-state amp. Long story short. I ordered it on a Sunday from moonaudio.com and only so i could pick it up locally the next day when they were open. I listened for like 5 minutes totally cold, but I knew in less than a minute. I said outloud to myself, I'm selling the Allnics. I sold them with an extra complete set of the spare 300BXLS for $13k, the Pass Labs was $5k.

Reactions: Superchunk

godofwealth

Feb 8, 2022
The original Western Electric 300Bs lasted for 40,000 hours, several decades of daily use in movie theaters. Not sure about these newer variants. I’d guess the manufacturing quality is not the same.

Peguinpower

Jul 22, 2021
The original Western Electric 300Bs lasted for 40,000 hours, several decades of daily use in movie theaters. Not sure about these newer variants. I’d guess the manufacturing quality is not the same.

the average 300b amp produces 8 wpc from each tube. The A6000 produces 50 wpc or about 50% more per tube.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing