Alsyvox planars...prepare to sell your Magico's, YG's, Wilson's, Cessaro's. Maggie's, and all others!!

DaveyF

Jul 31, 2010
La Jolla, Calif USA
The most successful planar speaker company is Magnepan, who’s been around since the early 70’s. Alsyvox could follow the Magnepan business model and similar pricing structure. However, you’ll never get the quality and performance seen in Alsyvox speakers. A 20.7 built to same level as the Botticelli will cost just as much, if not more, if Magnepan decided to build such a speaker. They never will. Magnepan even refused to design a better stand for their speakers citing it would be too heavy and too costly to ship. Wtf? Have you seen those flimsy stands for the 30.7 or 20.7? The material cost going into a 20.7 is probably around $500 USD.

As I stated before, I do agree with you in regards to Maggie. They have a particular dislike of increasing their pricing while increasing their overall quality. I don’t agree that a Maggie with the build quality of the Botticelli would have to cost as much as the Botticelli. I do think that the current Botticelli pricing is ludicrous, at least at the suggested retail price. OTOH, the street price and the retail price do seem to be somewhat varied with this product, not unlike several other pieces in this hobby. I personally fail to comprehend the pricing strategy behind this, but then the marketing gurus representing these folks apparently do...or so they would like us all to believe, lol.

cjfrbw

Apr 20, 2010
Pleasanton, CA
One of my good a’phile friends has a new dictum, if the gear in consideration cannot be easily moved/lifted by just one person, and the shipping cannot be done by standard FedEx, he is passing on the product, no matter what the merit of the product is, period. Makes some sense to me.
It has been my desire to be able to lift and move every item myself, and why I have used a distributed speaker/subwoofer/surround system. I can pick up myself every item without the 300 pound guys from Tonga. The SME turntable can be divided into the platter and the base separately. The only other piece weighing 90 pounds is one of the subwoofers.

Reactions: the sound of Tao

Al M.

VIP/Donor
Sep 10, 2013
Greater Boston
One of my good a’phile friends has a new dictum, if the gear in consideration cannot be easily moved/lifted by just one person, and the shipping cannot be done by standard FedEx, he is passing on the product, no matter what the merit of the product is, period. Makes some sense to me.

Good philosophy. I used to adhere to it, but the size and weight (110 pounds) of my new JL Audio subwoofers have thrown me off. My new speaker stands (100 pounds) and monitors (75 pounds) are also an issue. They can be lifted by me alone, but not when packaged. In any case, I will never get into the floor stander business. I'll keep living, and will die, a monitor guy. Guaranteed.

the sound of Tao

Jul 18, 2014
Good philosophy. I used to adhere to it, but the size and weight (110 pounds) of my new JL Audio subwoofers have thrown me off. My new speaker stands (100 pounds) and monitors (75 pounds) are also an issue. They can be lifted by me alone, but not when packaged. In any case, I will never get into the floor stander business. I'll keep living, and will die, a monitor guy. Guaranteed.
Al, if one of those monitors falls on you that may certainly be the way that you will end.

I do love heavy things but lately after moving house earlier this year I am finally seeing the light.

The PureAudioProject horns and the Harbeth 40.2s are both just manageable for me on my own.

I can walk the Maggie 20.7s yes but carry them no. Given that all three speakers are giving me the best sounds of my life when I down size it is the panels that may look like they won’t make it aboard the ark. Regrets yes, but not for my back tho :)

DaveyF

Jul 31, 2010
La Jolla, Calif USA
Funny that you guys commiserate, as I don’t really have this rule myself, yet. However, my friend, who also has a lot of experience in the hobby, really does have a great point. One of the funniest things I heard of recently, was a guy who owned Magico Q7’s who had to move them out of the way for a mini emergency in his room, and ended up with a very nasty argument with his neighbor and a friend who he had roped in to assist him with this..apparently the help thought the lift was going to be easy and didn’t come exactly prepared, lol.

KeithR

VIP/Donor
May 7, 2010
Encino, CA
All electrostats have somewhat of a plastic coloration...its because all the panels are made of....drum roll please...plastic! You can hear a "quack" from conventional drivers made of plastic as well. And you can get a zing from metal ones and in general ceramic ones sound "whitish". Materials colorations are one of the biggest issues with speakers and often the "flavor" of a speaker. I find nearly all ceramic driver based speakers unlistenable because while a plastic coloration is somewhat subtle the problem with ceramic drivers is anything but. One of the most "neutral" materials seems to be carbon fiber but again it is still not silent. Paper also has a character, doped or not, but it is somehow consonant with music, unlike metal and ceramic.

Its nice I'm not the only one who feels this with ceramic drivers. They are "boom sizzle" drivers to me.

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
to sum up this off the rails thread:

speaker choice is very personal and there really isn't a wrong answer when it comes to planars vs cones vs horns. just choose one you like, drive it correctly and enjoy it!

Drive it correctly :eek:

microstrip

VIP/Donor
May 30, 2010
Portugal
to sum up this off the rails thread:

speaker choice is very personal and there really isn't a wrong answer when it comes to planars vs cones vs horns. just choose one you like, drive it correctly and enjoy it!

IMHO one we and our room like ... ;) Fighting against the room is a lost battle.

Reactions: Al M. and DaveyF

Ron Resnick

Site Co-Owner, Administrator
Jan 24, 2015
Beverly Hills, CA

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London

Bodhi

Apr 20, 2014
I was initially impressed with & keen on the Alsyvox planar panels. They are beautifully designed and executed for sure, though conceptually I prefer the GT Audio GTA3r panels + Sound Insight's open baffle servo subs. They're also great value imho. Like the Genesis 1.2 speakers, and their forebearer, the great Infinity IRS-V’s; the low bass is best handled by a separate array of servo-controlled 12” servo subs imho.

That said, all this is conjecture until I a/ have a large room suitable for the big GT Audio system & b/ can shell out the doh for a flight to NYC to audition those bad boys!

Last edited:

gwalt

Jan 4, 2019
I have become a recent member of WBF and enjoy reading the commentary but much prefer not to argue with Audiophile egos and individual preferences being the best. I have learned over time that everyone sees and hears things "differently" or there would not be the hundreds of choices in the industry.
I will be the second owner of the Alsyvox Bonticelli speakers in the US as I await shipment of a new pair to arrive in about a week. I heard these speakers at RMAF and for me it did more right than any speaker I have every crossed paths with and I have owned a lot including horns, planars, and boxes. How they mate with my existing gear is an unknown at this point. They will be driven in a 15 X 19 or 17 X 35 room depending on discovery. I made sure the bigger room was an option before purchase and I am blessed with accommodations to make them work.
If you would like to find out more details about this speaker please ping me individually and I can share some experiences from my discovery.

spiritofmusic

Jun 13, 2013
E. England
Congrats Gwalt.
I can't say I'm not hugely envious.
Nice first post btw.

LL21

Dec 26, 2010
Congrats! I would definitely like to learn more...entirely up to you and your comfort level about PM'ing (feel free to PM me) vs posting here for all to read (and enjoy). I personally would love to read more about:

- any views you have about these speakers vs the big Apogees (Grand, Diva or even Stage)
- vs horns that you have had and how they differ
- in the grand world of mega speakers, what 'competitors' would you think they sit next to in your mind? Just trying to gauge these from a high level perspective

And then more specifically:
- what kind of room considerations did you evaluate when looking at these speakers? What elements gave you comfort about being able to house them in the larger room? ie, distance to rear, how far out into room or away from side walls, presumably NOT ceiling height?
- What kind of amplification are you using...and did the distributor/dealer/designer give you any guidance on options for 'optimal' amplification?

Thanks! Enjoy.

Last edited:

Bodhi

Apr 20, 2014
Welcome to the forum @gwalt & congratulations on your awesome Alsyvox speakers! You sound like a well seasoned audiophile. I've got no monopoly on wisdom here. I look forward to reading your posts and learning from your experience!

DaveyF

Jul 31, 2010
La Jolla, Calif USA
I have become a recent member of WBF and enjoy reading the commentary but much prefer not to argue with Audiophile egos and individual preferences being the best. I have learned over time that everyone sees and hears things "differently" or there would not be the hundreds of choices in the industry.
I will be the second owner of the Alsyvox Bonticelli speakers in the US as I await shipment of a new pair to arrive in about a week. I heard these speakers at RMAF and for me it did more right than any speaker I have every crossed paths with and I have owned a lot including horns, planars, and boxes. How they mate with my existing gear is an unknown at this point. They will be driven in a 15 X 19 or 17 X 35 room depending on discovery. I made sure the bigger room was an option before purchase and I am blessed with accommodations to make them work.
If you would like to find out more details about this speaker please ping me individually and I can share some experiences from my discovery.

Welcome, Gwalt.

Myself,and i am sure many others here on the forum, will be very excited to hear your thoughts on your new speakers.

I fully expect that they will be superb in all areas.

Last edited:
Reactions: christoph

jeff1225

Jan 29, 2012

Congrats Gwalt. Where are you located?

Ron Resnick

Site Co-Owner, Administrator
Jan 24, 2015
Beverly Hills, CA

Welcome to WBF, gwalt! And what a way to make an entrance! :) Congratulations on your discovery, your purchase and your pending arrival!

We have many planar fans here on WBF. (I have had only planar speakers my whole life.) Many people here (including me) will look forward to your journey with these speakers and your listening reports about them!

I vote for the longer and wider room! This way you can pull them as far into the room (away from the front wall) as you wish.

Have you ever had planar/dipole speakers before?

thomask

Dec 9, 2018
Washington State, US
Congratulation on your purchase of nice speakers.

As former owner of Apogee Duetta Signature, I am interested in this speaker too.

Please update your experience.

Thomas

Last edited:

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing