Alsyvox planars...prepare to sell your Magico's, YG's, Wilson's, Cessaro's. Maggie's, and all others!!

Al M.

VIP/Donor
Sep 10, 2013
Greater Boston
After 21 pages of this thread, strangely I don't want to sell my Magico S5 Mk2's. I guess that makes me a maverick?

Hehe, I don't want to sell my monitor/sub system either ;).

PeterA

Dec 6, 2011
USA
After 21 pages of this thread, strangely I don't want to sell my Magico S5 Mk2's. I guess that makes me a maverick?

I understand. However, reading the various claims certainly makes me curious to hear these. Many members think that we Magico owners need to get out more.

Last edited:

Zero000

Jul 28, 2014
Hehe, I don't want to sell my monitor/sub system either ;).

And I won't be selling my Apogees. Outstanding value for money.

But the Alsyvox system is better than anything I have heard at the MoC thus far today. In my opinion.

Bitcoin is rising. Dump 200K Euros into it for 6 months and get a some for free. Maybe.

;)

Bodhi

Apr 20, 2014
I understand. However, reading the various claims certainly makes me curious to hear these. Many members think that us Magico owners need to get out more.
I was just picking up on the thread title "Alsyvox planars...prepare to sell your Magico's, YG's, Wilson's, Cessaro's. Maggie's, and all others!!" and couldn't help but note the irony that i'm still a happy camper with my S5 Mk2's which are a remarkable value at $42.7k in premium automotive finish, and feel no desire to change. I don't doubt they're very good, but I'd need a lot more convincing to hand over another $56k of my hard earned quan (for the Botticelli's). Also I can't say i'm a fan of the smoky acrylic outer frame which is vulnerable to scratches. And before any Alsyvox fans jump up and down, yes I know they come with a polishing kit to polish out scratches. My S5 Mk2's didn't (presumably because they (Magico) don't feel the automotive paint finish is vulnerable to micro scratches). Just my 2c.

Last edited:

microstrip

VIP/Donor
May 30, 2010
Portugal

Why should you want to sell them? There is not a single post in these 21 pages telling us how the Alsyvox really sound with known recordings!

Bodhi

Apr 20, 2014
And I won't be selling my Apogees. Outstanding value for money.

But the Alsyvox system is better than anything I have heard at the MoC thus far today. In my opinion.

Bitcoin is rising. Dump 200K Euros into it for 6 months and get a some for free. Maybe.

;)
Other than the Infinity IRS-V's, the Apogee Diva's were the other speaker I drooled over back in the late 80's/early 90's. That said, my Audio Engineer calls them "Apologies" because of the various mechanical issues with the original Apogees :D. But still cool. Out of interest, what's the damage on the Alsyvox Caravangio's?

Last edited:

Bodhi

Apr 20, 2014
Why should you want to sell them? There is not a single post in these 21 pages telling us how the Alsyvox really sound with known recordings!
I'm certainly not questioning the sound of the Alsyvox speakers. How could I? I haven't heard them. I'm just not convinced they would offer me better vfm than my current speakers. Though I see they're gathering a huge following here. All's fair in love and war and all that. I wish them well.

Last edited:

PeterA

Dec 6, 2011
USA
I was just picking up on the thread title "Alsyvox planars...prepare to sell your Magico's, YG's, Wilson's, Cessaro's. Maggie's, and all others!!" and couldn't help but note the irony that i'm still a happy camper with my S5 Mk2's which are a remarkable value at $42.7k in premium automotive finish, and feel no desire to change. I don't doubt they're very good, but I'd need a lot more convincing to hand over another $56k of my hard earned quan (for the Botticelli's). Also I can't say i'm a fan of the smoky acrylic outer frame which is vulnerable to scratches. And before any Alsyvox fans jump up and down, yes I know they come with a polishing kit to polish out scratches. My S5 Mk2's didn't (presumably because they (Magico) don't feel the automotive paint finish is vulnerable to micro scratches). Just my 2c.

Understood. It is a provocative thread title, but given the prices for such speakers, I think few who hear them are really going to dump their systems to get them. I guess, if I were in the market for this kind of a speaker, meaning cost and room, then I would perhaps want to audition them to just see how they compare. Until then, it is just forum reading. It is nice to have alternatives to consider at the highest price levels.

Reactions: Bodhi

Bodhi

Apr 20, 2014
So $300k for this Caravaggio system? Maggie charges $30k. Now I'm sure they aren't as good but 10x more?
Or for $23.5k John's GTA3r's + SI200 subs. But I do get that those shelling out $99k+ for the Alsyvox speakers obviously like their qualities enough to reach for their Visa cards. Same goes for the guys who are shelling out $172k for Magico M6's. So I guess that vfm is in the eyes of the beholder..

Bodhi

Apr 20, 2014
I guess, if I were in the market for this kind of a speaker, meaning cost and room, then I would perhaps want to audition them to just see how they compare. Until then, it is just forum reading. It is nice to have alternatives to consider at the highest price levels.
Agree for that much money, an audition is essential. "Trust your ears" as Greg Takesh sais. Always nice to have lots of options in our hobby :).

KeithR

VIP/Donor
May 7, 2010
Encino, CA
Or for $23.5k John's GTA3r's + SI200 subs. But I do get that those shelling out $99k+ for the Alsyvox speakers obviously like their qualities enough to reach for their Visa cards. Same goes for the guys who are shelling out $172k for Magico M6's. So I guess that vfm is in the eyes of the beholder..

fwiw, a friend just texted they sound spectacular in Munich. good to hear at that extremely high echelon.

Bodhi

Apr 20, 2014
fwiw, a friend just texted they sound spectacular in Munich. good to hear at that extremely high echelon.
Peter Breuninger was also raving about them as well. I mean they bloody well should sound spectacular for $300k. That's getting into Genesis Prime territory! :eek:

Zero000

Jul 28, 2014
So $300k for this Caravaggio system? Maggie charges $30k. Now I'm sure they aren't as good but 10x more?

Of course they aren't ten times better. Maggies are OK value. Law of diminishing dooberies etc.

If you want the best planar magnetics on the planet, the Alsyvox are probably it.

They have faults, though. You need to be along way away for the bass from the bass panels to really blend with the 4 way mains. So even this speaker system has integration issues of sorts.

They may have longevity issues I simply don't know, but it is a risk.

It's a one man band not a big company etc.

All sorts of factors need to be considered I think much as I love the sound they produce.

When I retire I think my hobby will be trying to make a Diva or Boticelli sized pair of planar magnetics from scratch entirely by myself using my own ideas just to keep me from dying of boredom. I think it is quite doable. I really do.

I will not stop until they are outstanding. Then I'll drop dead with peace of mind;)

Al M.

VIP/Donor
Sep 10, 2013
Greater Boston
Peter Breuninger was also raving about them as well. I mean they bloody well should sound spectacular for $300k. That's getting into Genesis Prime territory! :eek:

I've heard $ 300K speakers sound "meh" at shows. Which is why I don't go to shows.

GT Audio Works

Industry Expert
Feb 12, 2015
Stockholm NJ
www.gtaudioworks.com
Funny predicament we find ourselves in the world of the high end.

A well regarded car mag may be able to gather the top 10 super cars in the world and thrash them on the Nordschleife and report to you exact times and speeds along the track and proclaim a winner.
Does this mean the declared winner will be swamped with orders and the other close up shop ?
I dont think so.
Humans respond to more subjective reasoning and emotion.
You can take someone's word for it but until you plant your butt in the drivers seat, all the talk means nill.
And all the ..." this is the best" bell ringing means little to anyone but the one ringing the bell.
Humans are creatures of emotion, we like what we like and for the most part its not what someone else likes.
Its what set off the electrochemical cocktail in our mellons that gives us that "OH YEAH " feeling.

At least in the world of expotic cars you can get all the contenders on the same track on the same day and maybe even with the same tires and driver. In which case you can provide objective facts to the reader which they can use to make a buying decision.
Not so in high end audio. Most have never heard an Infinity IRS or Genesis Prime or MBL Extreme
Sure we read about them in the rags and we drool, we may have even heard them at shows.
Trouble is the car guys are one up on us...No way will we ever demo a line up of super high end speakers in the same room with the same system and the same music.
Even if you had the means to jet across the globe and hear each super system in their best environments.
Our aural memory is fleeting, so trying to remember what the MBL's sounded like compared to the Gens is nothing more than an exercise in futility and the different rooms and systems would negate any chance of an objective conclusion.

So in the end...all we can do is keep our ears and minds open , follow our passions and enjoy our choices in life.

So if you can swing it, go order those 4 panel Alsyvox Caravaggios .
For me ? I would rather spend that kind of scratch on a Porsche GT2 RS.
It will hold its value , and I dont have to spend another 300 grand on an audio system to play it.

spiritofmusic

Jun 13, 2013
E. England

Bodhi

Apr 20, 2014
I've heard $ 300K speakers sound "meh" at shows. Which is why I don't go to shows.
Yeah show conditions are challenging, so you have to take it with a pinch of salt. It should however give you a general impression of what the speakers could do in more optimal conditions. I like the fact you get to hear a lot of gear you might otherwise not be exposed to at shows. They're also great catchups in our small industry.

Reactions: PeterA

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
Reactions: sujay and Al M.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing