Alsyvox planars...prepare to sell your Magico's, YG's, Wilson's, Cessaro's. Maggie's, and all others!!

Rhapsody

VIP/Donor
Jan 16, 2013
Brooklyn NY
Rhapsody.Audio
It's interesting to see the movements of the panels as the music plays. I have movement in my ribbons, which I attribute to the harmonics of the tube drivers (at least partially). Is there any movement visible in the panels with the high power SS amps?

Also, the video gives the appearance of translucency. Optical illusion? Do the ribbons have some translucency or are the actual ribbons opaque/reflective.

The ribbons "move" with the tubes or SS when bass is being played, no difference.

Not an optical illusion, definitely translucent, which I happen to visually like:)

Ron Resnick

Site Co-Owner, Administrator
Jan 24, 2015
Beverly Hills, CA
Hi Ron,

I really didn't do enough listeing to comment on it yet. I have someone visiting that wanted to hear the Overture with the Alsyvox, so I just connected it and did the video even prior to the amp being warmed up. Only had the volume control on the Overture a 10 o'clock position and it was filling up my room sounding pretty relaxed while it was doing it.

I'm sure if you push it will full orcestra you will tell a difference when more power is used. I have a 90 Watt Jadis integrated that I will be trying. I believe with the 90 Watts you won't notice the difference between it and the big SS with either headroom or dynamics.

Thank you, Bob.

Reactions: Rhapsody

cjfrbw

Apr 20, 2010
Pleasanton, CA
Not an optical illusion, definitely translucent, which I happen to visually like:)

Yes, I like that, too. It's a diaphanous visual to go with the aural transparency of the ribbons.

gwalt

Jan 4, 2019
The ribbons "move" with the tubes or SS when bass is being played, no difference.

Thank you Bob for sharing your experience thus far and please keep your thoughts coming as learning is beneficial to us owners. In addition, when time permits please share your room dimensions and set up preferences such as distance from walls and toe in etc. My Botticellis are driven by either 350 or 200 wpc SS and would not be any help on sharing experiences with tubes of lower power. I can however tell which amp. is transistor and which is MOSFET. Now in a 17 X 35 room my feeling is many amps would work for power but prefer neutrality and speed to compliment the speaker......YMMV of course.

dr k

VIP/Donor
Aug 4, 2016
California
Yes, I like that, too. It's a diaphanous visual to go with the aural transparency of the ribbons.

The Alsyvox ribbon/planar magnetic diaphragms are constructed from transparent mylar as the substrate and with aluminum tracing acting as the voice coil. It's mesmerizing to watch when they move. Apogee used Kapton substrate which is yellow and its diaphragm flopped around like a headless chicken when driven hard.

Rhapsody

VIP/Donor
Jan 16, 2013
Brooklyn NY
Rhapsody.Audio
Thank you Bob for sharing your experience thus far and please keep your thoughts coming as learning is beneficial to us owners. In addition, when time permits please share your room dimensions and set up preferences such as distance from walls and toe in etc. My Botticellis are driven by either 350 or 200 wpc SS and would not be any help on sharing experiences with tubes of lower power. I can however tell which amp. is transistor and which is MOSFET. Now in a 17 X 35 room my feeling is many amps would work for power but prefer neutrality and speed to compliment the speaker......YMMV of course.

Hi Gary,

My room is 18' W X 35' L X 11' H. I have the Tintoretto about 10' out from the back wall and about 3' from each side wall, with slight toe-in.

At this point my gut says that 30ish Watts PP tubes, especially for tube lovers/tube midrange lovers in a small room say 12' X 18' would be very adequate.

With a larger room I believe that any quality 70W PP tube amp would be plenty of power.

With saying all that I personally like SS on the Alsyvox. I don't feel that I give up any dimensionality, soundstage layering or midrange magic, although some may disagree, using good SS.

Something about good SS control of the bass, which can be riveting with the Alsyvox and I believe that to get that "riveting experience" in the bass presentation will happen best with quality SS. Of course IMHO.

cjfrbw

Apr 20, 2010
Pleasanton, CA
Apogee used Kapton substrate which is yellow and its diaphragm flopped around like a headless chicken when driven hard.

Hah, Hah! Yes, my midrange ribbons do the bounce, too, but I fancy that it helps to cool them and helps sound dispersion. Since they have been doing it for over a decade I assume there is no apparent harm. I have never noticed the bass panel ribbons moving on Analysis Epsilon.

That would apply to back and forth movements. They should never twist excessively or crumple when driven, that would be bad news.

If you wave hands at the mid frequency ribbons or blow gently, they will move, so the slightest low frequency harmonic energy will set them off.

I remember the Scintilla high frequency ribbons were more or less freely draped, and were pure aluminum. You could make them move just by walking by the speaker.

Reactions: christoph and dr k

dr k

VIP/Donor
Aug 4, 2016
California
Hah, Hah! Yes, my midrange ribbons do the bounce, too, but I fancy that it helps to cool them and helps sound dispersion. Since they have been doing it for over a decade I assume there is no apparent harm. I have never noticed the bass panel ribbons moving on Analysis Epsilon.

That would apply to back and forth movements. They should never twist excessively or crumple when driven, that would be bad news.

If you wave hands at the mid frequency ribbons or blow gently, they will move, so the slightest low frequency harmonic energy will set them off.

I remember the Scintilla high frequency ribbons were more or less freely draped, and were pure aluminum. You could make them move just by walking by the speaker.

Ah yes the original 1 ohm Scintilla, the amp killer. It was Bob Carvers Reference for a long time.

christoph

Dec 11, 2015
Principality of Liechtenstein
Hi Gary,

My room is 18' W X 35' L X 11' H. I have the Tintoretto about 10' out from the back wall and about 3' from each side wall, with slight toe-in.

At this point my gut says that 30ish Watts PP tubes, especially for tube lovers/tube midrange lovers in a small room say 12' X 18' would be very adequate.

With a larger room I believe that any quality 70W PP tube amp would be plenty of power.

With saying all that I personally like SS on the Alsyvox. I don't feel that I give up any dimensionality, soundstage layering or midrange magic, although some may disagree, using good SS.

Something about good SS control of the bass, which can be riveting with the Alsyvox and I believe that to get that "riveting experience" in the bass presentation will happen best with quality SS. Of course IMHO.

I just imagine how the AlsyVoxes would sound driven by KR Audio Kronzillas with 50 (or even 100) finest SET watts :cool:
Or if bi-ampable, even with the Kronzilla on the mid/treble section and something like say Lamm M1.2 on the bass section :D
Oh my goodness, that could be outworldishly awesome :eek:

Reactions: the sound of Tao

gwalt

Jan 4, 2019
Hi Gary,

Bob,

Thanks for this information on the room and the amplifiers......your room is similar to this one in size and even a bit more expansive. As we both know the speakers like room to provide their magic soundstaging and hide and seek game they play at the highest level that I know of.
It helps very much on your opinion of the tube amplifiers since I tried the CAT JL5 on these and much preferred the quicker attack and leading edge of the SS amps. I own (YBA Passion 600 monos and Concert Fidelity ZL120SE). I do like the tube pre. (CAT) with these however but it also tracks fast.
Power seems to be less important than the speed of the tracking for decay and bite. One thing for certain I would imagine is an aggressive SS on the top end would not be a choice with these. Neutrality and naturalness, speed of tracking and expansive soundstaging appears to be the marriage and sure your store has that but always curious to learn more.
It appears from the video the Tintoretto now has the wider midrange ribbon driver (35cm) but it could be the reflection of the ribbon I am seeing? Bet it sounds pretty special.
Thanks for taking the time above.

Gary

Last edited:

gwalt

Jan 4, 2019
I just imagine how the AlsyVoxes would sound driven by KR Audio Kronzillas with 50 (or even 100) finest SET watts :cool:
Or if bi-ampable, even with the Kronzilla on the mid/treble section and something like say Lamm M1.2 on the bass section :D
Oh my goodness, that could be outworldishly awesome :eek:

I do know an external crossover for bi-amping and adjustment for the Botticelli is available but I am not aware of the full details. I believe that is what is going to be at the new venue at the upcoming Denver RMAF.
Yes many combinations and levels of experimentation on these with their ease of drive which is one reason I like them.

Reactions: christoph

KLH007

Feb 2, 2012
Annapolis, MD
Dr. Vinyl used a 30 W PP tube amp from McGary on his Tintorettos in a small room and I can't imagine bigger/better dynamics from them, the McGary amp is also very fast and treads the tube/SS line perfectly, a very synergistic combo.

Reactions: christoph and gwalt

christoph

Dec 11, 2015

Rhapsody

VIP/Donor
Jan 16, 2013
Brooklyn NY
Rhapsody.Audio
Dr. Vinyl used a 30 W PP tube amp from McGary on his Tintorettos in a small room and I can't imagine bigger/better dynamics from them, the McGary amp is also very fast and treads the tube/SS line perfectly, a very synergistic combo.

Yes, the Tintoretto in Dr. Vinyl's small room sounds amazing. The room in the video above is probably 4X the size of the Dr. Vinyl room and still pressurizes the room with 32 Watts of PP tube power.

Bodhi

Apr 20, 2014
But did you listen to the AlsyVoxes?
My offer remains...If anyone wants to send me a free business class return air ticket from Australia to an o/s Dealer, i'm there. Otherwise i'm good. I wouldn't buy any loudspeaker based on a 32 page thread full of hystrionics or even paid Breuninger reviews.

Last edited:

christoph

Dec 11, 2015
My offer remains...If anyone wants to send me a free business class return air ticket from Australia to an o/s Dealer, i'm there. Otherwise i'm good. I wouldn't buy any loudspeaker based on a 32 page thread full of hystrionics or even paid Breuninger reviews.
So why troll around in this thread? :rolleyes:
You never listened to these speakers and you have no interest in doing so... ;)

gwalt

Jan 4, 2019

Bodhi,
No one ask you to buy the Alsyvox speakers. For those who have an interest in panels this is one of the best on the list......that's it and only it. Glad you like your Magico. I heard the Q3 a month ago at a friends with 3 different amps......not in show conditions. It was a nice speaker in the box category but I wouldn't trade in my Botticelli for it either. You get the chance just go listen to the Alsyvox then report back but why comment unless you have heard it.

Bodhi

Apr 20, 2014
So why troll around in this thread? :rolleyes:
You never listened to these speakers and you have no interest in doing so... ;)
So now I’m a troll because I’m not in your estimation (having never met me, and knowing very little about me), likely to buy Alsyvox speakers? Wow.

Last edited:

Bodhi

Apr 20, 2014
Bodhi,
No one ask you to buy the Alsyvox speakers. For those who have an interest in panels this is one of the best on the list......that's it and only it. Glad you like your Magico. I heard the Q3 a month ago at a friends with 3 different amps......not in show conditions. It was a nice speaker in the box category but I wouldn't trade in my Botticelli for it either. You get the chance just go listen to the Alsyvox then report back but why comment unless you have heard it.
Gwalt, If you post a controversial threat title like this, you’d have to expect the odd cynical response from Wilson, Magico, YG owner’s etc. Also I find the fact that you felt compelled to post a rebuttal affirming how much better (than Magico) Alsyvox speakers are rather ironic considering I drew no such comparison in my earlier post. In regard to listening to these speakers, If a local dealer picks them up in future, sure. But i’m perfectly happy with my current speakers & have no immediate desire to change.

Last edited:

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing