Alsyvox planars...prepare to sell your Magico's, YG's, Wilson's, Cessaro's. Maggie's, and all others!!

I thought Alsyvox and Omega were the best of RMAF 2019:

Although I think YG did a better job with setup, the Alsyvox room had some incredibly lifelike moments that few systems are capable of ever achieving.
I sold four pairs of Alsyvox from the 2019 RMAF Alsyvox room:) That room was something like 40' X 50". It was huge. There was almost no way to do much with the room, especially with traveling from Spain (Alsyvox) and Italy (Omega).

We did the best we could with the room, but it was a challenge.

I sold four pairs of Alsyvox from the 2019 RMAF Alsyvox room:) That room was something like 40' X 50". It was huge. There was almost no way to do much with the room, especially with traveling from Spain (Alsyvox) and Italy (Omega).

We did the best we could with the room, but it was a challenge.

Yeah, YG had an unfair advantage being about 45 min from the venue... ;)

I understand the issues involved, which is why I still gave my Best Of to Alsyvox and Omega. They did a good job with what they had. YG's room was simply good, and not just for a demo. I'm sure they had the opportunity to actually go and see the room before the show, plan out the setup with unlimited resources, etc...

Although I think YG did a better job with setup, the Alsyvox room had some incredibly lifelike moments that few systems are capable of ever achieving.
That can be a ribbon thing for sure.

Reactions: christoph
No, not yet. (I haven't quite been able to work out the logistics with Ken, as I am at least three hours away from him by automobile.)
Looking forward to having you over for a listen Ron! You might want to wait a few weeks until we get our new analog rig set up - I think you will enjoy that as well.

We are available to anyone that would like to listen to the Alsyvox Botticelli's. Ours have the optional external crossovers and powered by Vitus electronics. We are close to LAX and Orange County airports.

We also plan on showing the Botticelli at "The Show" Long Beach CA this summer if all goes well...

If anyone is interested in hearing Alxyvox speakers they are available to listen to at Rhapsody's customers homes in six different states at this point. The states are CA (Tintoretto X), Nebraska (Botticelli), Chicago (Botticelli and Tintoretto soon), Alabama (Botticelli), New York (Tintoretto X or Botticelli X), Washington State (Botticelli X).

If anyone is interested, especially after we get the vaccine and things settle down, pm me and I will connect you with one of the Alsyvox users. They are all great guys and open to an interested visitor, post Covid.

This is a great community. I wish we had more dealers who could with their clients enjoy sharing this way

What mainstream amps do the Alsyvox sound great with? They had some amp choices at the audio shows that I’m totally unfamiliar with, which makes me wary.

Ken

What mainstream amps do the Alsyvox sound great with? They had some amp choices at the audio shows that I’m totally unfamiliar with, which makes me wary.

Ken
The Alsyvox are 94 db effiicient and don't drop below 4 ohms. I've used them with CH P, Soulution, Vitus, Pilium, Jadis, Devialet, Constellation, AVM, McIntosh, Goldmund, Manley and Octave. One customer is using T+A, another tried his D'Agastino which works great but prefers his Diesis tube/SS hybrid, which is more holographic. Another uses a full CH P set up. Another with Kondo 50 Watt Kagura SETs.

Emile has used them Audionet and I think currently with a set of powerful tube amps. You can drive them with anything, I've not heard a bad combination in listening to 20 pairs over the last few years.

I can't keep track anymore, I think there are 8 pair now in the US. Currently we have one pair of Botticelli being delivered out West today and two more pair of Botticelli on order being built.

There has never been an issue with what amps work or don't work with any of the Alsyvox other than I would not run them with less than 50 Watts of either SS or tubes. I connected a 27 Watt Kondo Ongaku to them and it sounded nice, but not enough juice to light them up to the level they are capable of.

Last edited:
"I've used them with CH P, Soulution, Vitus, Pilium, Jadis, Devialet, Constellation, AVM, McIntosh, Goldmund, Manley and Octave."

- jealous

Reactions: matakana
The Alsyvox are 94 db effiicient and don't drop below 4 ohms. I've used them with CH P, Soulution, Vitus, Pilium, Jadis, Devialet, Constellation, AVM, McIntosh, Goldmund, Manley and Octave. One customer is using T+A, another tried his D'Agastino which works great but prefers his Diesis tube/SS hybrid, which is more holographic. Another uses a full CH P set up. Another with Kondo 50 Watt Kagura SETs.

Emile has used them Audionet and I think currently with a set of powerful tube amps. You can drive them with anything, I've not heard a bad combination in listening to 20 pairs over the last few years.

I can't keep track anymore, I think there are 8 pair now in the US. Currently we have one pair of Botticelli being delivered out West today and two more pair of Botticelli on order being built.

There has never been an issue with what amps work or don't work with any of the Alsyvox other than I would not run them with less than 50 Watts of either SS or tubes. I connected a 27 Watt Kondo Ongaku to them and it sounded nice, but not enough juice to light them up to the level they are capable of.
Agree with Rhapsody fully. You need worry mostly how you want the timbre and dynamic/speed/control behavior in your selection. The power rating will affect that behavior. With that efficiency rating they are extremely amplifier friendly.

Reactions: Rhapsody

Ken
Ken, I would point out that when you visited my place a few times 3-4 years ago you listened to everything at around 70db with 75db peaks at max. I remember this distinctly as I am used to listening in the 85 db range with 90db peaks.

Everyone listens at different levels, much better for the ears at the levels you listened to at my place than my normal levels.

I mention this as at 70db listening levels in a regular size room you could EASILY drive any of the Alsyvox with something like the 27 Watt Ongaku with no degradation in any parameter of sound quality.

All of the other amps I mentioned were driving the Botticelli or Tintoretto at 85db or 90db constant levels with speakers at eaters 90db or 95db respectively.

Ken, I would point out that when you visited my place a few times 3-4 years ago you listened to everything at around 70db with 75db peaks at max. I remember this distinctly as I am used to listening in the 85 db range with 90db peaks.

Everyone listens at different levels, much better for the ears at the levels you listened to at my place than my normal levels.

I mention this as at 70db listening levels in a regular size room you could EASILY drive any of the Alsyvox with something like the 27 Watt Ongaku with no degradation in any parameter of sound quality.

All of the other amps I mentioned were driving the Botticelli or Tintoretto at 85db or 90db constant levels with speakers at eaters 90db or 95db respectively.
Even at 95db or so, you are talking about only a couple of watts (2.83V into 4 ohms is 2 watts) as the speaker is 94 db and I would imagine, like Apogees, the impedance is quite flat. So, even at those levels an amp with a proper 25 watts would have a significant headroom. Maybe it was louder or you had a slow weighting on the SPL meter and the peaks were quite a bit higher than 100db? At least from a physics perspective the Kondo Ongaku should work without issue.

Even at 95db or so, you are talking about only a couple of watts (2.83V into 4 ohms is 2 watts) as the speaker is 94 db and I would imagine, like Apogees, the impedance is quite flat. So, even at those levels an amp with a proper 25 watts would have a significant headroom. Maybe it was louder or you had a slow weighting on the SPL meter and the peaks were quite a bit higher than 100db? At least from a physics perspective the Kondo Ongaku should work without issue.
Yes, it does but in a 700 Sq.ft room, which our room is, compared to when you put 200Watt SS amps on the Botticelli there is a noticeable pressurization difference in the room especially at higher levels. I find with more power the presentation is more relaxed.

Reactions: Bobvin
In my opinion the Alsyvox speakers are hyper revealing. They are perfectly capable of giving you so much auditory information that the selection of the right amps for you could be a long journey, best explored by holding enthusiast open days with people bringing their amps to try.

I'm not being negative. It's just the way planar magnetic speakers are. Or at least the better examples of the breed.

Agreed, very revealing. Per what Gary Walters said above "timbre and dynamic/speed/control behavior" has a lot to do with personal preference and how you want your music presented. Each amp is going to sound different with respect to these characteristics so finding the amplification that works for you is certainly important. The good part is that in most cases you don't have to worry about whether the amp of your choice will drive the Alsyvox regarding power.

Reactions: gwalt and Zero000
I think Daniel has voiced them really well. If you get the mid to upper mid range wrong in the crossover I know the effect it can have in speakers of this type. Literally too much apparent information. Bass is nowhere near as critical.

It's a very fine balancing act.

Last edited:
Reactions: gwalt and Rhapsody

Hi Bob,

Your points are duly noted. However, you didn’t answer my original question. What mainstream amplifiers do the Alsyvox speakers sound great with? Flexibility with amp choices is the difference between a terrific all-around product and an excellent niche product.

Ken

Hi Bob,

Your points are duly noted. However, you didn’t answer my original question. What mainstream amplifiers do the Alsyvox speakers sound great with? Flexibility with amp choices is the difference between a terrific all-around product and an excellent niche product.

Ken
Ken,

Could you define mainstream amplifiers and your listening preferences? What sounds great? These definitions likely vary in all regards from one music lover to another.

gwalt

Ken,

Could you define mainstream amplifiers and your listening preferences? What sounds great? These definitions likely vary in all regards from one music lover to another.

gwalt
Ken,

The Alsyvox speakers sound great to me with every amplifier that I mentioned. It comes down to personal preference and ones sonic priorities (timbre, dynamics, holographic presentation etc). I've not heard one brand of amplifier make the Alsyvox sound not VG.

More important to me to have any Alsyvox set up properly and the rest of the electronics in the chain optimized, whether the mainstream or obscure. In my experience the amplification used with Alsyvox was maybe the easiest part of the room, sources, set-up, accessories variables in the overall sonic equation of a particular system.

Each amplifier whether it's mainstream or obscure (the Alsyvox don't know the difference:) will have a different sonic signature, which the Alsyvox being very high resolution and resolving speakers will identify and present the amplifiers characteristics, unless of course the amplifier has no sonic signature of it's own, then you will just hear whatever is on the recording.

If I am still not answering your question please elaborate more so that I can try to be more helpful.

I've used them with CH P, Soulution, Vitus, Pilium, Jadis, Devialet, Constellation, AVM, McIntosh, Goldmund, Manley and Octave. One customer is using T+A, another tried his D'Agastino which works great but prefers his Diesis tube/SS hybrid, which is more holographic. Another uses a full CH P set up. Another with Kondo 50 Watt Kagura SETs.
Hi Bob,

My apologies, you did answer my question in your original post. I was multi-tasking (working from home) and I entirely missed it. I own a pair of MSB M204 monoblocks (Class A) that are on the sidelines. Do you know anyone who has tried them with the Alsyvox?

Thanks,
Ken

Last edited:
Ken, Botticelli X sounded great to me with all of the amplifiers that I mentioned. Not sure of your question with the last post as you just copied what I wrote. I said I've used them, but each amp sounded VG but they sounded a bit different and would suit different listening preferences, but all could drive the B Xs adequately.

I apologize if I am not answering your question correctly.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing