America Shuts Down!

I go to the polls and faithfully vote for the lesser of two evils, because the alternative is enabling the greater of two evils. Besides, I just don't agree with the idea that "they're all the same." Domestically? Pretty close. They're all corporatists. Internationally? One adminstration can screw things up very, very badly, for many years, and the damage can spill all over domestic policy and the domestic economy. Here in the US, we have very recent, very bad experience with this.

Tim

I go to the polls and faithfully vote for the lesser of two evils, because the alternative is enabling the greater of two evils. Besides, I just don't agree with the idea that "they're all the same." Domestically? Pretty close. They're all corporatists. Internationally? One adminstration can screw things up very, very badly, for many years, and the damage can spill all over domestic policy and the domestic economy. Here in the US, we have very recent, very bad experience with this.

Tim

I don't agree with Nader's tweedlee dee / tweedlee dum hypothesis either, but it was very catchy, and I like the guy.

A libertarian way of thinking would be ;
With the taxmoney being saved ,the market could solve that easily , you d simply get private companies doing the firefighting

Exactly. If you cannot afford to sign up for the service - you will simply see your house burn down, while the idle fire fighters play cards. Kinda like healthcare.

And what do you know!
...That video of Republican senators Rand Paul and Mitch McConnell caught on tape that I just posted yesterday (previous page) has been removed from the entire Internet and public media!

That tells me something (that I already knew for a very very very long time already) about all those dirty tactics and politics, and politicians.

Tim, there is simply no integrity at the highest levels of our societies. ...Very unfortunate but real.

It is still here.

http://www.politico.com/story/2013/10/mitch-mcconnell-rand-paul-government-shutdown-97795.html

As I was driving yesterday, I noticed nothing is different than before the government shut down!!! I am sure there is impact on many but it is remarkable how little the government does for us day to day that when it shuts down, you wouldn't even know it if you had not read the news. State, county and city services were a great help in this regard.....

Because you are not part of those who are truly affected Amir. ...Some cancer patients for example.

Everybody saves on taxes off course and there will be real competitiveness among firefighters driving down prices
If you look at healthcare in holland the politicians are in bed with farmaceutical and health insurrance companies keeping costs high.
i suppose thats how obamacare will end up like
Exactly. If you cannot afford to sign up for the service - you will simply see your house burn down, while the idle fire fighters play cards. Kinda like healthcare.

Everybody saves on taxes off course and there will be real competitiveness among firefighters driving down prices

Private sector entrepreneurs would probably start recruiting arsonists to drive up demand for firefighting services. Don't fix it if it ain't broken.......

Because you are not part of those who are truly affected Amir. ...Some cancer patients for example.
As I said, some are affected. But because much of the services we receive are locally provided, the impact is not visible at all. Life is normal for everyone it seems. BTW, if you turned the government back on, there would still be some cancer patients that would suffer.

That is a bit of a red herring. If they shut down all the elementary schools in the country and you had not kids of elementary school age, you would hardly notice.
Putting aside that elementary schools are funded by local property taxes, one would think that the government is providing broad set of services to all. The fact that life goes on as if nothing has happened, says something about inefficacy of our government.

They could even shut down fire brigades and you would never know about it. Until your house goes up in smoke ......
That's funded locally too :).

Putting aside that elementary schools are funded by local property taxes, one would think that the government is providing broad set of services to all. The fact that life goes on as if nothing has happened, says something about inefficacy of our government.

I'm not following your logic.

in·ef·fi·ca·cy (n-f-k-s)
n.
The state or quality of being incapable of producing a desired effect or result.

So if the federal government is responsible for say processing passport applications, they get shut down and stop processing passport applications. Since you do not have a pending passport application you feel no impact. How does this prove inefficacy of the government? The "desired effect or result" here is new passports issued, which they normally produce, but when defunded/shut down, they don't. Where is the inefficacy?

As I said, some are affected. But because much of the services we receive are locally provided, the impact is not visible at all. Life is normal for everyone it seems. BTW, if you turned the government back on, there would still be some cancer patients that would suffer.

Yes, many high shots politicians said that a government shutdown is nothing to fret about.

* The cancer patients I was referring to are the ones who had their possible life-changing program on hold right now, because of the shutdown.
I know what you mean but it doesn't stop the fact that right now their hopes are totally evaporated.
- There are some reports on that with interviews with real patients (young women) from CNN; check it out.

** A government shutdown means the difference between life and death for some people.
And a government that is functioning normally means a normal life for everyone, and a chance to save some.

So if these politicians and congressmen and senators say stuff like they are saying right now (that a government shutdown is nothing to sweat over);
they are totally wrong and provide a gross disservice to the American nation, the people.

I'm not following your logic.

in·ef·fi·ca·cy (n-f-k-s)
n.
The state or quality of being incapable of producing a desired effect or result.

So if the federal government is responsible for say processing passport applications, they get shut down and stop processing passport applications. Since you do not have a pending passport application you feel no impact. How does this prove inefficacy of the government? The "desired effect or result" here is new passports issued, which they normally produce, but when defunded/shut down, they don't. Where is the inefficacy?

If you normally have no interaction with the federal government either as a business owner or a private citizen, of course you will see no change.

...And the longer it goes on the more I'm right.

Of course, on October 17 if they (US Congress) default, then it's even more an accentuated catastrophe; and not just for the U.S.A. but for the world economy.

US means us the people, and not just the ones who run and rule this beautiful country of yours.

United means all people together.
States; there are fifty-one states in your country (or is it 52 now?).
America is ALL Americans and not only the ones who wrote the laws, who apply them (judges), who play with them (cops, prosecutors, attorneys, lawyers, ...), senators, congressmen, lawmakers, piloticians, plot makers, baseball teams, airlines, economists, stockbrokers, insurancers, but ALL American people (farmers, housekeepers, children caretakers, etc.).

You guys/gals are a big bunch South of the border; 350 million Americans!

Here, up North, I'm only surrounded by ten times less (35 million Canadians).

But nonetheless politicians and all that governmental jazz are dirty as much.
- According to Canadian experts, a government shutdown is very unlikely in Canada; that would be unconstitutional.

*** Cool beat (U-tube). :cool:

How many of you guys actually voted in the last election?

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing