American Sound AS-2000 Installations- Far East (Tango)

spiritofmusic

Jun 13, 2013
E. England
Bill, it's a game not all of us are compelled to play.

ddk

May 18, 2013
Utah
Guys - I am not following why one needs or wishes for so many permutations of arms / carts or even just carts assuming same arm 4 times?

I can understand this “game” might be fun but I would find it rather distracting - I guess each to their own.

Imagine 1 favorite dish for every meal, everyday; vs 4 favorites dishes and possibility of having and trying many more along with sides and various desserts. There's a lot in high end audio to discover and enjoy, both for music and sound you can do that here at will.

david

spiritofmusic

Jun 13, 2013
E. England
We one arm/one cart guys are slumming it on Big Macs three times a day

Audiophile Bill

Mar 23, 2015
Imagine 1 favorite dish for every meal, everyday; vs 4 favorites dishes and possibility of having and trying many more along with sides and various desserts. There's a lot in high end audio to discover and enjoy, both for music and sound you can do that here at will.

david

Hi David,

For me the “dishes” are the music itself - as in my collection of LPs.

Anyway - each to their own. Enjoy.

Reactions: tima

microstrip

VIP/Donor
May 30, 2010
Portugal
Bill, it's a game not all of us are compelled to play.

Surely. But in this particular thread we should try to understand why people want to play it and mostly, enjoy and learn from their experience.

Party poopers will not be welcome! :)

spiritofmusic

Jun 13, 2013
E. England
Sure Francisco, I guess if you plonked an AS in front of me w four arms, and any number of carts, I guess I'd be marginally tempted to keep the lot LOL.

I was enough of a bore in the 80s berating people for dumping vinyl, I'm not going to start telling analogheads to restrict their enjoyment.

jeff1225

Jan 29, 2012
If you have the SME 3012R, or other arms with the bayonet attachment, you can play the game with cartridges. It's a lot cheaper.

rockitman

Member Sponsor
Sep 20, 2011
Northern NY
Guys - I am not following why one needs or wishes for so many permutations of arms / carts or even just carts assuming same arm 4 times?

I can understand this “game” might be fun but I would find it rather distracting - I guess each to their own.

I used to think that way. Once you realize how simple and fast cart changes can be with bayonet, the ability to use classic vintage carts and SPU's... it becomes addicting. Doing the same on fixed arms is not so easy pulling wire pins, switching out the cart from the head shell, ect and going through a more complicated and time consuming alignment process.

microstrip

VIP/Donor
May 30, 2010
Portugal
I used to think that way. Once you realize how simple and fast cart changes can be with bayonet, the ability to use classic vintage carts and SPU's... it becomes addicting. Doing the same on fixed arms is not so easy pulling wire pins, switching out the cart from the head shell, ect and going through a more complicated and time consuming alignment process.

Are you using slotted headshells to avoid adjusting the tonearm pivot to turntable bearing distance every time you change the cartridge?

ddk

May 18, 2013
Utah
Hi David,

For me the “dishes” are the music itself - as in my collection of LPs.

Anyway - each to their own. Enjoy.

Then look at it as having those meals cooked by a number of the international gourmet chefs, current and old, on demand. But like you said, no one's pushing anything on anyone.

david

ddk

May 18, 2013
Utah
Are you using slotted headshells to avoid adjusting the tonearm pivot to turntable bearing distance every time you change the cartridge?

He's mostly using the fixed SME headshells, setting up alignment with the gauges I make is very fast and convenient.

david

jeff1225

Jan 29, 2012

Most of my headshells are the SME (they sound great) so I adjust the sliding base of the tone arm each time. With the DB Protractor recommended by DDK it only takes 1 minute.

ddk

May 18, 2013
Utah
Most of my headshells are the SME (they sound great) so I adjust the sliding base of the tone arm each time. With the DB Protractor recommended by DDK it only takes 1 minute.

Personally I find moving the base a lot easier for setup than the cartridge in a headshell and really miss that option setting up non SME tonearms.

david

microstrip

VIP/Donor
May 30, 2010
Portugal
He's mostly using the fixed SME headshells, setting up alignment with the gauges I make is very fast and convenient.

david

I am not understanding you - SME headshells have fixed holes, what is the point of using the gauges?

microstrip

VIP/Donor
May 30, 2010
Portugal
Personally I find moving the base a lot easier for setup than the cartridge in a headshell and really miss that option setting up non SME tonearms.

david

I agree with this point - it becomes as simple as setting a linear tonearm!

ddk

May 18, 2013
Utah
I agree with this point - it becomes as simple as setting a linear tonearm!
Without the smiling Imoji I’m still guessing your post is tongue in cheek. The gauge eliminates using the cartridge for alignment and with straight side edges it can be done very quickly using the DB Protractor or equivalent.

david

dminches

Oct 22, 2011

1 minute?

If you use a slotted head shell you don't have to make any adjustments once it is set. How is that not easier?

microstrip

VIP/Donor
May 30, 2010
Portugal
Without the smiling Imoji I’m still guessing your post is tongue in cheek. The gauge eliminates using the cartridge for alignment and with straight side edges it can be done very quickly using the DB Protractor or equivalent.

david

Yes, there was an implicit smile - I have been using the Forsell for many years. Just 120 seconds to change the cartridge - unless the cartridge pins were not standard and the pins needed some adjustment!

microstrip

VIP/Donor
May 30, 2010
Portugal
1 minute?

If you use a slotted head shell you don't have to make any adjustments once it is set. How is that not easier?

It is why I asked. But then you are not using exactly the standard SME geometry.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing