American Sound AS-2000 Installations- Far East (Tango)

Maril555

Jun 26, 2014
Dear Tang

Thank you for posting this video. I believe David sent you this video to show where in the ballpark he is with your project. To me, it showed that a horn speaker can be without the vices usually associated with that type. Most of the videos I have seen about horn speakers left me veering towards the McGowan camp. Have I been wrong all this time? Then David Karmelli and you ( I have never met either) ,made it right again: A horn can sound the way it must. It can be a damn good speaker first and then add the elements thay makes a horn special.

In a way ,I started this video mess by posting a video because most people never heard a gigantic horn and few shall. In the end they should be just speakers that happens to be horns ,not some diabolical creation that somehow create a sound. Dave Karmelli gets that and for that the giants that became before us should be thankful.

It sounds amazing. The bass is unreal.

Audiophile Bill

Mar 23, 2015

the sound of Tao

Jul 18, 2014

Walter66

Aug 22, 2022
Real life physics hack. Try this out- you may be astonished!

Last edited:

Blue58

Jan 20, 2013
London, UK
New approach to damping… or dampening??
Available to pre-order

Quantum tunnelled H2O-GE ‘graphene enhanced’
Mathematically modelled container to reduce standing waves
Internal pressure adjusted to resist emi/rfi
Vibration absorbing ‘umbilical fasteners’
Available in blue, red, orange and purple.
Enhanced CO2 version available to special order.

Tango

VIP/Donor
Mar 12, 2017
Bangkok
Wow jdza - epic system. King Kong Ding Dong - best Eleanor so far even though I detest that record with a passion haha. Any chance of more vids of your system - really impressive.
Classical may be more your cup of tea Bill. I like the way the speakers present the whole picture of concerto. With this setup the violin has more woody sound than my Cessaro and the balance between violin and orchestra is more even. But If I play with Cessaro you will hear so much excitement from violin strings less woody and the orchestra becomes secondary.

Interconnect cables David using are Gepco, Belden and Belkin Synapse. For me, Gepco, Belkin Synapse and Gotham GAC4. I am out of my office a few days I will look up the model for you to be more specific when I go to office.

Best,
Tang

PeterA

Dec 6, 2011
USA
Classical may be more your cup of tea Bill. I like the way the speakers present the whole picture of concerto. With this setup the violin has more woody sound than my Cessaro and the balance between violin and orchestra is more even. But If I play with Cessaro you will hear so much excitement from violin strings less woody and the orchestra becomes secondary.

Best,
Tang

Just awesome! Emotional and engaging over a simple YouTube and Apple desktop computer. Thank you for sharing and exposing us to another wonderful video and music.

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
That’s great Tang, if just this one record was played this would be better than the Cessaro.

Can we have one more violin concerto, a different one?

iaxel

Oct 25, 2016

Interconnect cables David using are Gepco, Belden and Belkin Synapse. For me, Gepco, Belkin Synapse and Gotham GAC4. I am out of my office a few days I will look up the model for you to be more specific when I go to office.

Best,
Tang
Wonderful!
Who’s performing?

Audiophile Bill

Mar 23, 2015

Best,
Tang

Thank you very much!!

iaxel

Oct 25, 2016
  • Love
Reactions: christoph and ddk

Audiophile Bill

Mar 23, 2015

Best,
Tang

Just listened on my new pc speakers. Sounds great to me. I personally like the balance it has right now.

Walter66

Aug 22, 2022
Its good to hear an ordinary recording on this system, and that leads me to make some comments on the sound, which don't fit to match those speakers.

I don't think that the turntable matches the speakers. That is for one reason, this turntable is made completely from massive steel, it seems.
And that defines its fundamental sound characteristic. Its sounds dead to me, because there is a dead material used for its base.

Once I owned a Platine Verdier, the one with the artificial stone base, a base which should have no resonances at all. That was famous for some decades. After a long time in the 1970's/ 1980's, think it was 20 years, a successor came to the market, it was the so called NPV. Interestingly enough, sonically it showed,, because its body was made from wood, that such a wooden body can have its own merits and strengths and to me and many others, this model sounds favorably to the original PV.

It came to my mind, to use such a wooden body myself for a record player, after having my PV done some modifications to eliminate the harsh basic tone character (and therefore dead or neutral sounding to me) which were never fully satisfactory. That project was successfull and lead to an idler driven turntable, based on a full wood heavy plinth.

And this type of record player seems to develop a synergistic union with a resonant speaker like the Euros. You will never achieve that with a record player, made from dead materials and sounding like this. It's two contrary audio philosophies colliding. A mismatch of components like its being done much too often.

Neutral (or dead sounding to me) record players matches best with neutral speakers, that means lowest distortion systems (and that includes the cabinets, too). The Klangfilm aren't that type of speakers.

The Neumann MC (if thats what we auditioned here) is a great system, but it need 6+ gramms of tracking force. Too much for me. Had the opportunity to audition it here in my system, great tone, hard to come by.

If available, an EMT 927 would be very interesting to audition instead of this shown full metal jacket rig. I don't think it matches quite well with the speakers. Just my two cents on this, otherwise great, audio system.

Last edited:

Audiophile Bill

Mar 23, 2015
Its good to hear an ordinary recording on this system, and that leads me to make some comments on the sound, which don't fit to match those speakers.

I don't think that the turntable matches the speakers. That is for one reason, this turntable is made completely from massive steel, it seems.
And that defines its fundamental sound characteristic. Its sounds dead to me, because there is a dead material used for its base.

Once I owned a Platine Verdier, the one with the artificial stone base, a base which should have no resonances at all. That was famous for some decades. After a long time in the 1970's/ 1980's, think it was 20 years, a successor came to the market, it was the so called NPV. Interestingly enough, sonically it showed,, because its body was made from wood, that such a wooden body can have its own merits and strengths and to me and many others, this model sounds favorably to the original PV.

It came to my mind, to use such a wooden body myself for a record player, after having my PV done some modifications to eliminate the harsh basic tone character (and therefore dead or neutral sounding to me) which were never fully satisfactory. That project was successfull and lead to an idler driven turntable, based on a full wood heavy plinth.

And this type of record player seems to develop a synergistic union with a resonant speaker like the Euros. You will never achieve that with a record player, made form dead materials and sounding like this. It's two contrary audio philosophies colliding. A mismatch of components.

Neutral (or dead sounding to me) record players matches best with neutral speakers, that means lowest distortion systems (and that includes the cabinets, too). The Klangfilm aren't that type of speakers.

The Neumann (if thats what we auditioned here) is a great system, but it need 6+ gramms of tracking force. Too much for me. Had the opportunity to audition it here in my system, great tone, hard to come by.

If available, an EMT 927 would be very interesting to audition instead of this shown full metal jacket rig. I don't think it matches quite well with the speakers. Just my two cents on this, otherwise great, audio system.

Tang, the new owner, does indeed have an EMT927 in his armoury.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing