American Sound AS-2000 Installations- Far East (Tango)

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London

christoph

Dec 11, 2015
Principality of Liechtenstein
Reactions: Audiophile Bill

christoph

Dec 11, 2015
Principality of Liechtenstein
Wow. It's almost worth flying to Utah before they depart to experience it.
You mean a proper before (at ddk's) and after (at Tang's) compare?
That would be the real deal :cool:
Don't give Ked any ideas now that he is on a roll anyways :p

PeterA

Dec 6, 2011
USA
Its good to hear an ordinary recording on this system, and that leads me to make some comments on the sound, which don't fit to match those speakers.

I don't think that the turntable matches the speakers. That is for one reason, this turntable is made completely from massive steel, it seems.
And that defines its fundamental sound characteristic. Its sounds dead to me, because there is a dead material used for its base.

This is a very interesting comment. I own one of these turntables. I sent a friend of mine, and former member of this forum, a photograph of my new turntable. His first comment was that the turntable must ring like a bell.

I find it curious that two people can have such opposing opinions without actually having heard the turntable. I can assure you that the turntable does not ring like a bell, nor does it sound dead.

tima

Industry Expert
Mar 3, 2014
the Upper Midwest
Last edited:

Walter66

Aug 22, 2022
This is a very interesting comment. I own one of these turntables. I sent a friend of mine, and former member of this forum, a photograph of my new turntable. His first comment was that the turntable must ring like a bell.

I find it curious that two people can have such opposing opinions without actually having heard the turntable. I can assure you that the turntable does not ring like a bell, nor does it sound dead.
I've never wrote that it sounds Like a bell, why should it? But it sounds dead to me on this vid and thats not a fiction but a fact that could be auditioned compared to other turntables. If you don't think so, well, this is a different Story. Just listen to a NPV or Shindo 301 compared and you may understand whats meant.

Last edited:

jespera

Jan 12, 2018
London
Wow jdza - epic system. King Kong Ding Dong - best Eleanor so far even though I detest that record with a passion haha. Any chance of more vids of your system - really impressive.

I agree the big horns give the best impression. fwiw.

But I struggle with the noises.

The singer is a pupertarian. And the recording sounds 24 bit artificial.

I had to reach for some strong vinyl for the lenco to get some warmth in me.

Attachments

• E9030161-B9B3-4CB7-8FA7-6A34712235C7.jpeg
    E9030161-B9B3-4CB7-8FA7-6A34712235C7.jpeg
    605.6 KB · Views: 12
Last edited:

Audiophile Bill

Mar 23, 2015
Hi Tang,

I took your advice and bought one of the cables above. I bought the Gotham ones with amphenol plugs. Anyway great improvement across the board - absolutely deadly silent (very noticeable) and very balanced top to bottom. Pair cost me £44 for 1.5m :)

cheers

Solypsa

Jun 7, 2017
Seattle
www.solypsa.com
+10

Maybe a high dollar cable will do something you like, but if the system can't sound good with Gotham something else is a problem :)

Walter66

Aug 22, 2022
High efficiency audio systems often needs different cables and react differently to ordinary audio cables. So the rules of thump that can be applied to ordinary systems sometimes won't work with those special systems. Accept to be astonished sometimes when normal things won't work. Its like a good chef in the kitchen. With a variety of basic ingredients he has to customize the menu for perfect taste and he wil always be successfull in the end. Its all about knowledge and experience what works and what wouldn't work in those situations.

Tango

VIP/Donor
Mar 12, 2017
Bangkok
Hi Tang,

I took your advice and bought one of the cables above. I bought the Gotham ones with amphenol plugs. Anyway great improvement across the board - absolutely deadly silent (very noticeable) and very balanced top to bottom. Pair cost me £44 for 1.5m :)

cheers
Dear Bill,
That was quick. I only told you for a day.
You may find Gotham tone in piano bother you at first. But after burned in, it will turn to normal. I tried many studio cables. They took me quite a while to understand charater of each. Agony period of listening due to burn in. Another person that played around with studio cables quite a bit is @bazelio. Heknows what is what but does not seem to tell people. :)

Tango

VIP/Donor
Mar 12, 2017
Bangkok
+10

Maybe a high dollar cable will do something you like, but if the system can't sound good with Gotham something else is a problem :)
They are higher dollar because they "add" a lot more to your sound I guess. But adding more also increase higher degree of homogeneity. Everything will sound "impressive". "Up" your system as my friends would say. Records you hear will sound a lot less different. Only when you add less you will beable to distinguish the good records from actually mediocre ones. The studio cables do add less than high dollar ones.

Audiophile Bill

Mar 23, 2015
Dear Bill,
That was quick. I only told you for a day.
You may find Gotham tone in piano bother you at first. But after burned in, it will turn to normal. I tried many studio cables. They took me quite a while to understand charater of each. Agony period of listening due to burn in. Another person that played around with studio cables quite a bit is @bazelio. Heknows what is what but does not seem to tell people. :)

It was so cheap I couldn’t resist. What are the preferred pro speaker cables? Mogami or something?

Audiophile Bill

Mar 23, 2015
Can you provide a link to the Gotham cable please

Here is a link on Amazon. Here are the Gotham gac4 star quad with Amphenol. The same seller does other rca plugs if you wish. There are also other Gotham cables - there is one super low capacitance one, which on paper would make a lot of sense for phono applications. I can definitely say, without reservation, that it is the quietest cable I ever heard. It has double screen and star quad and is pro microphone cable so unsurprising really.

Petrat

Apr 17, 2019
UK
I have recently started using the Gotham GAC-4/1 balanced cables from the same vendor, and am extremely impressed.
I paired them with some Belden 9497 speaker cables in my Accuphase/Tannoy system, replacing some cables costing many times more, with nothing but positive results.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing