American Sound, "The Absolute Nothing"

just for curiosity:
is "max free spin time" a goal in itself?
don´t get it

The longer that a platter can freely rotate the better quality the bearing as less drag. How much longer makes a difference is not clear. Is it that 5 mins is sufficient or 30 is required.

The longer that a platter can freely rotate the better quality the bearing as less drag. How much longer makes a difference is not clear. Is it that 5 mins is sufficient or 30 is required.
And some turntables add friction as part of the design, either by adding heavy oils in the bearing or some kind of friction clutch in old idlers.

Reactions: PeterA
just know from changing bearings in the studer A80s, that the bearings with the least friction aren´t necessarily the quietest ones.....
Yes most of the Studer A 80 motors are somewhat noisy in the bearings, even when all friction parts are new. I own 3 of them. :) I will modify one with a air bearing at some point.

So … this turntable sports a bearing and a spindle , yet nothing is in direct contact with the platter other than a string drive chain whilst in operation ? What prevents horizontal drift ? And No I have zero desire to “Ask David”

So … this turntable sports a bearing and a spindle , yet nothing is in direct contact with the platter other than a string drive chain whilst in operation ? What prevents horizontal drift ? And No I have zero desire to “Ask David”
that's secret stuff.

the CS Port 'air float' approach is a version of the same approach as the American Sound, and has a guide sleave the platter fits (is gently set down) into when it's installed. then when the air pressure is engaged the platter lifts with a film of air and is lifted off the base of the sleave too. not sure the details of the American Sound approach but 'guess' it's something similar.

it's not logical that there would not be a locating sleave of some sort for the American Sound. is this technically a bearing? don't know. on the CS Port, the 'air float' floats the whole bottom platter surface and the air escapes around the edges. but the platter does not touch the outside of the plinth, so it's the inner sleave where it is guided. does the air film also provide that air film around the sleave? so 'no touch'. probably.

CS Port is 'air float', not 'air bearing'.

Last edited:

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu