American Sound, "The Absolute Nothing"

Last I heard he was somewhat disolusioned with his system !

i don’t know about that, what was mentioned was that he hasn’t played it for a year (as per his YT post which had been posted on the other thread), and that was due to some issues with valves, sockets of amps and the Neumann

Why does the 3012 seem to be the right choice?

You usually write a lot about tonearms and are very clear about which arm is good - better - best with which cartridge. Why should the 3012 be absolutely top on the AS?

What don't you like about the Axiom? Some people would swap their favorite lady for it! :D
Who needs resolution, a precise deep bass or clear undamped highs? He leaves everything out and focuses on the important thing: the music.
It dampens the material of the turntable (stainless steel high speed of sound) and creates a good synergy. The most important thing in HiFi systems.

With a table of this expense, why doesn't it have a platter brake as well as starting motor to get it to speed, then drop out to let the primary motor stabilize. I just cringe over the idea of dropping hot. I have seen it done. I have tried it. Not for me. I use my hands to stop the platter, then give it a gentle spin to start it again. Of course my table is direct drive with a 8 to 12 lb platter. Not the same thing.

With a table of this expense, why doesn't it have a platter brake as well as starting motor to get it to speed, then drop out to let the primary motor stabilize. I just cringe over the idea of dropping hot. I have seen it done. I have tried it. Not for me. I use my hands to stop the platter, then give it a gentle spin to start it again. Of course my table is direct drive with a 8 to 12 lb platter. Not the same thing.

Rex, those are all design questions for David. I use my hand to gently push my platter to help it get to speed. Sometimes I use it to slow it down and then turn off the pump. It just takes a bit longer otherwise. Likely even more time with the new heavier platter on this turntable. It is not a big deal at all. I actually like the simplicity and easy of use. There is little to go wrong. The three AS1000s I have seen basically look and function as new. Same with the AS2000. I think David likes simplicity and fewer things to go wrong for long term reliability. I suspect complications also might add noise, but that is just a guess. The fewer moving parts the better.

I suspect one could leave this turntable on indefinitely and just turn on and off the motor for long listening sessions. Reliability is important in these types of products.

I actually like the simplicity and easy of use. There is little to go wrong. The three AS1000s I have seen basically look and function as new. Same with the AS2000. I think David likes simplicity and fewer things to go wrong for long term reliability. I suspect complications also might add noise, but that is just a guess. The fewer moving parts the better.

I suspect one could leave this turntable on indefinitely and just turn on and off the motor for long listening sessions. Reliability is important in these types of products.

+1

Rex, those are all design questions for David. I use my hand to gently push my platter to help it get to speed. Sometimes I use it to slow it down and then turn off the pump. It just takes a bit longer otherwise. Likely even more time with the new heavier platter on this turntable. It is not a big deal at all. I actually like the simplicity and easy of use. There is little to go wrong. The three AS1000s I have seen basically look and function as new. Same with the AS2000. I think David likes simplicity and fewer things to go wrong for long term reliability. I suspect complications also might add noise, but that is just a guess. The fewer moving parts the better.

Are you saying any of these high mass air bearing tables can easily be stopped and started with your hands. Thats what I do with my table. I turn off the motor and use 2 hands to brake the platter. I only use one to start it, but its light in comparison. And a DD.

So it is iok to touch an air bearing platter when running. Do you run the risk of misaligning it and damaging the surfaces? Or are they more robust and stable?

Are you saying any of these high mass air bearing tables can easily be stopped and started with your hands. Thats what I do with my table. I turn off the motor and use 2 hands to brake the platter. I only use one to start it, but its light in comparison. And a DD.

So it is iok to touch an air bearing platter when running. Do you run the risk of misaligning it and damaging the surfaces? Or are they more robust and stable?

Rex, I really have no idea what you are talking about. I use a couple of fingers lightly pushing or stopping the platter, sometimes if I want to speed up the process. No issues with the new turntable either. Just visit David and hear the AS2000. These tables are supremely robust and stable. No risk of misaligning it or damaging it. Check one out and all your concerns will vanish.

Reactions: Bobvin and adyc
Rex, I really have no idea what you are talking about. I use a couple of fingers lightly pushing or stopping the platter, sometimes if I want to speed up the process. No issues with the new turntable either. Just visit David and hear the AS2000. These tables are supremely robust and stable. No risk of misaligning it or damaging it. Check one out and all your concerns will vanish.
I am asking out of curiosity. I thought the platter was 300lbs. I didn't know if this types of weight on an air bearing would tolerate being stopped and started, or if you need to get it rotating and let it spin. Its rare I see a table like this. Most are a push of a button and 15 seconds or less later they are stable.

Reactions: lordcloud
I am afraid to even ask what one of these babies cost, but will anyway. ?
If you have to ask its not for you. Don't ask questions either unless you intend to buy. This is a sales thread!!:eek:o_O:D:D

• Haha
Reactions: Argonaut
Rex, with the Vyger I leave the platter spinning. The platter surface has a small rubber lip around the outer edge to aid the vacuum hold down. Once the vacuum is turned off the LP is easily lifted off the rotating platter. The thin rubber lip slightly elevates the LP from the surface making grabbing the edge easy.

With my prior table (AMG v12), I did stop and start the platter as you describe. With the lp sitting flush the edge wasn’t easy to snag for a quick liftoff.

I have yet to see or hear an AS table, but I‘ll guess getting a hold on the LP edge has been designed in.

Reactions: PeterA

Rex, I realize I didn’t answer many of your questions. I don’t know what you mean by “any“ of these high mass air bearing turntables. All of the American sound turntables can be easily stopped and started with your hands, but there is no need to stop the turntable. You can easily change records and change speeds without stopping it. I only stop my turntable at the end of the evening before shutting down my system.

Stopping or braking a platter is what DJs need to do. I don’t know why any of us audiophiles would need to do that unless one has vacuum hold down or a screw down clamp like SME uses. I don’t know anything about your turntable and why you need to help a 10 pound platter rotate to get it started or stopped. It should not take much time for a DD table with a ten pound platter. It’s just not a big deal with these high platter mass thread drive turntables.

I don’t know about the typical air bearing turntables. Touching the platter during operation was perfectly fine with the big Micro Seiki SX 8000 II and with these American Sound turntables. I can bang on the platters as they move or while they are at rest with my knuckles and there is absolutely no damage and no movement. The platter does not move in any direction why I bang on it or try to push it sideways or down from the top. It is an extremely robust design and not at all delicate or fragile. You’re more likely to hurt your hand then you are the turntable.

I don’t mind answering any questions if I know the answers and it’s not proprietary information.

Last edited:
There seems to be an intent to tear this design apart than to understand it , makes no sense really ..!

Regards
Sure it does. Unfortunately (and another example) of an ever present, pervasive, existing negative bias / culture intentionally manifested by some forum members. Reminds of a famous line in the Forrest Gump movie.

Last edited:
Ron if anybody can be accused of forum commercialization its you
Its all you do lately , so you should be the last to point the finger afaic
And the personal insults and innuendos begin. Again.

Last edited:
Reactions: lordcloud
Then why work so hard continuing to promote this thread ?

This is merely yet another of the ceaseless ploys in order to market *Brand Karmeli* … thinly disguised behind an infomercial !
Another arrow is launched. Again.

And to ddk. An astounding, over the top effort on your part. I truly admire your passion and commitment to advancing the "art" of the analogue playback system. Best.

Last edited:
Thanks @PeterA for sharing info about new AN turntable. After reading 9 pages of this thread and others related with this one I ended up with one conclusion:

If you write in an authoritative, confident way in threads and end all arguments by condescending others with a commanding tone (SME 3012R is the best) instead of reasonably and technically explaining why then you have followers. If you have resources to add certain products to your résumé and spent enough time together you can even write more confidently and get followers looking for a guide even after you left the forum. And the outcome is; you can sell your products!

Last edited:

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing