Any updates to the Berkeley Alpha DAC Series 2 coming ? ...

Hi Bruce,

I appreciate the advice. My friend in not computer savvy to do audio from his computer at this point. Maybe in the future. He is looking for a DAC that has a great volume control to save him from buying/using a preamp. He is using a Bel Canto (two versions back) now, but wants to move up the ladder dac-wise.

If your friend isn't into DSD, he should listen to the Aesthetix Pandora VC DAC.

If your friend isn't into DSD, he should listen to the Aesthetix Pandora VC DAC.

He's not. I will check it out. Thank you for the recommendation jap. I think if it has tubes, he will not want it.

Last edited:
He's not. I will check it out. Thank you for the recommendation jap. I think if it has tubes, he will not want it.

I have converted back to tubes!;)

---- I just knew it! :b ...That's why I didn't say anything before.

* Is that make it also a 'Tubed DAC'?

Yes indeed. And upgraded linear power supplies, Bybee Music Rails, Furutech IEC.

---- I know Joe is already interested. :b

But then, he's swimming with EMM Labs gear and DAC, plus all that cool jazz.

You can't fault Joe's taste in gear!

Got myself a Berkeley Alpha 2 DAC to go with my Berkeley Alpha USB converter.

Some nude images, as I haven't seen many posted around:

PSU. Two separate transformers (probably one for digital and one for the anlog stage) feeding 6 voltage preregulators:
berkeleyalphadacpsu.jpg

Main PCB. Programable SHARC chip (probably runs the custom digital filter alghoritms), AD 1955 DAC chipset and superb, Ultra Low Phase Noise clock made by Crystek, placed in the direct proximity of the DAC:
berkeleyalphadacinside1.jpg

berkeleyalphadacinside2.jpg

Top plate dampened with Dynamat Extreme pads:
berkeleyalphatopplate.jpg

All in all - another example of excellent digital audio engineering !

Last edited:

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing