Anyone connecting Lampizator PACIFIC Dac using RCA connections

Redphu

Sep 24, 2018
Greetings everyone. Looking for some assistance with the static/hum/buzz I'm getting when I switched to RCA inputs on my Lampizator DACs. I never had any issues using XLR into my Krell phantom preamp. Recently I upgraded to the PACIFIC and a CJ GATv2 preamp; now I am getting a very loud buzz/hum when the PACIFIC and the GG2 are plugged into the GATv2 that can be easily heard.

As an initial starting point, when I connect just the Krell 403 E amp and the GATv2 together, there's no buzz/hum. Then I add Modwright Elyse DAC, no buzz/hum. Finally when I have the following connected all is well:

Krell 403 E amp
CJ GATv2 preamp
Elyse DAC
CD player
Chord portable DAC
Small green computer NAS
Sonore Siganture Rendu

As soon as the PACIFIC/GGV get connected and powered on, I get the loud buzz/hum. I've have two dedicated 20 amp lines, where one of the lines has 4 furutech outlets (QUADPLEX/4 outlets) all sharing a common ground. Ive switched over to ATT fiber and got rid of the cable TV and modem. I tried connecting the just the Krell 403 E amp, CF GATv2 preamp, and PACIFIC/GGV2 DAC directly to the Quadplex (20 amp single circuit) and or power conditioner and I still get the buzz/hum.

THINGS IVE TRIED and have not helped:

A cheater plug into the Lampizator DAC only, but this did not solve the problem

Into the Quadplex/4 outlets sharing a single 20 amp circuit/common ground:

various combinations ex: Krell 403 E Amp and GATv2 pream into one single duplex and Pacific by itself into the other duplex and vice versa

Krell 403 E amp directly into the wall(Quadplex) and GATv2 and Pacific into a power conditioner which is plugged into the Quadplex

THINGS TO CONSIDER OVER THE NEXT DAYS/WEEKS:

I'll be trying the cheater plug on the preamp and amp

Connecting a hook up wire from the GND post on the rear of the PACIFIC to one of the BLACK screws on the rear of the GATv2

Turning off the 10 CEILING MOUNTED wifi HUE lights in the music area and dimmer switches

Swapping out preamps: luxman and krell phantom and try on the PACIFIC and GGv2 vs. the Elyse and Canary KD 2000.

Will any of the products from Alan Mahler Designs such as

TriCell Active Cell Platform

Isolation Planar Technical Ground

Would like some help on this as it's going on two weeks. Hoping to get some good news soon. Thanks for reading.

Tuckia

Jun 3, 2019
You have tried a good number of things. Have you verified that both 20 amp circuits are on the same phase of your service? Once I had four 20 amp lines to my equipment, which I installed myself, so it had to be right. Right?

But I had a chronic hum problem for about a month. Frustrated, I checked the phases and one was on opposite polarity of the single phase lines coming into the service. Switched the offending circuit to the other side. No hum.

Maybe one of your scenarios above addresses this, but can’t be certain.

Tuckia

Jun 3, 2019
Are you in North America?

Tuckia

Jun 3, 2019
Close enough. Most residential services bring in two 120 volt rms lines which are 180 degrees out of phase into the power panel, with common and ground. This keeps a balanced load and allows for 240v single phase service for your oven, dryer, and heli arc welder in the garage, when a two pole switch is utilized (double wide breaker). Arrangements can vary by box manufacturer, but often the phase alternates vertically. This way you can snap your 240v breaker into a slot and it catches one each of these opposite phase lines.

You can track the lines back to the panel from the duplex and probably get it wrong. I speak from experience here. It’s easier to pull out your DMM (digital multi meter), set it to voltage AC, and stick the probes into each power outlet of concern ( the hot port, usually narrow slot) Don’t worry, there are plenty of living children who have done this walking around yet in North America. Not so many in Europe however. Something about the resistance of the human body and voltage matching brings about the perfect current to stop the heart from beating. If in doubt, consult your lawyer. After you tell him that some nameless guy on the internet told you to do this he will throw up his hands and walk out of the room.

Anyhow, if you get a reading of 0 volts or significantly close, they are on the same phase. If they read 240 volts they are opposite phase. I think this is right, but it’s been a couple years.

Consult an electrician if you are uncertain of doing this.

Redphu

Sep 24, 2018
The quadplex is on a single 120v line with a 20amp breaker. Using the multimeter, I get 120v.

Golum

Jun 7, 2018
Lausanne, CH
Redphu i totally understand your problem and i feel your pain as i would go nuts. But what i don’t understand is why the same topic should be in three different threads even i believe two started by you. As far I’ve seen, you got tons of advice and you tried many things and it did not work. So either try other preamp (as you plan) or send the unit back for check up (but i doubt they would send new unit to customer not checked with the hum like that)...just my two cents.
And i do hope you’ll solve the issue asap!

Alrainbow

Dec 11, 2013
Guys if a diagram of equipment is given I can suggest adjustments to fix this. My only issue is to be clear all that’s being used. Aside of other people’s comments why this must be a Lampi issue. ? comments from many who don’t know why this happens clouds the issue at hand. I’m very open to all comments but if I’m willing to help for the last time I expect my requests to be followed in an absolute manner. why it’s now several threads of the same topic with the same fingers pointing to the same product makes me feel it’s more about setting up a push of negative posts on 1 product. I don’t sell any products from anyone nor do I have any affiliation with any maker. In fact I don’t even do audio for a living period. So if I’m coming across as being intolerant of posts it’s only for spreading misinformation. So one last time let me help and all can post and I’m willing to answer all but I need things to be followed as I ask please.
If this is agreed to
start by pictures and a diagram of your room with power and any low voltage devices. This means WiFi , data paths , Bluetooth , equipment location proximity to other devices.
do this and I’m very willing to solve this.
thanks in advance

LampiNA

Jun 30, 2015
Hello Redphu,

Fred from LampizatOr North America here. I believe you worked with my partner, but I've read of your issue (in a couple of threads) and am writing to try and reach out.

You've gotten some great suggestions--Al's in particular (he's helped me track down and eliminate noise in my own systems), and it's sounding like your issue is probably environmental.

That said we want you to be enjoying the music rather than feeling frustrated and I cleared it with Lukasz this morning to take your DAC in for an inspection as a part of our free warranty service to give you peace of mind that everything is operating as it should be. :)

Contact us privately via email and we will get the ball rolling.

Best,

Fred A.

howiebrou

Jun 29, 2012
Hello Redphu,

Fred from LampizatOr North America here. I believe you worked with my partner, but I've read of your issue (in a couple of threads) and am writing to try and reach out.

You've gotten some great suggestions--Al's in particular (he's helped me track down and eliminate noise in my own systems), and it's sounding like your issue is probably environmental.

That said we want you to be enjoying the music rather than feeling frustrated and I cleared it with Lukasz this morning to take your DAC in for an inspection as a part of our free warranty service to give you peace of mind that everything is operating as it should be. :)

Contact us privately via email and we will get the ball rolling.

Best,

Fred A.
Great Service Fred.

LampiNA

Jun 30, 2015
Thank you, Howie! We certainly do our best.

Hopefully your own Pacific is continuing to sing gloriously for you. :cool:

Reactions: christoph

astrotoy

VIP/Donor
May 24, 2010
SF Bay Area
I just picked up the thread. I have a single ended Pacific which is dead quiet. I am about 8 miles from Oakland. If you want to bring over your Pacific, we can plug it into my system to see whether it has the same problems. If not, then the problem is elsewhere. PM me if you want.

Larry

dminches

Oct 22, 2011
I just picked up the thread. I have a single ended Pacific which is dead quiet. I am about 8 miles from Oakland. If you want to bring over your Pacific, we can plug it into my system to see whether it has the same problems. If not, then the problem is elsewhere. PM me if you want.

Larry

One can't get a better offer than that.

LampiNA

Jun 30, 2015

Larry

Very generous offer, Larry! THANK YOU!

This would be a perfect test before you incur downtime sending it off for a checkup.

Alrainbow

Dec 11, 2013
I agree let’s see how this turns out in the end. Ill lay down 20 Bucks his dac is perfect. Then if he is interested in fixing it I’m ready to help as I said above

Reactions: Golum and christoph

christoph

Dec 11, 2015
Principality of Liechtenstein

christoph

Dec 11, 2015
Principality of Liechtenstein

Larry
This is how the Lampi family works :cool::D;)

Golum

Jun 7, 2018
Lausanne, CH

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing