Anyone connecting Lampizator PACIFIC Dac using RCA connections

Redphu

Sep 24, 2018
My brother noticed the difference right away in the darker background and greater detail/separation. Furman a legit product without the marketing hype. I suffered with the hum issue longer than necessary as I was looking around for a more “audiophile” power conditioning unit and none could support their claims with real world science like Furman.

howiebrou

Jun 29, 2012
Hello everyone. I hope all is well. I finally got the Fur-man unit, the first being victimized by a FedEx driver who tossed it to the ground as he didn’t see me standing beside his truck. Now that’s FedEx service for you.

Despite the all my efforts and your guidance , I was still left not really knowing the culprit of the ground loop. I even turned off all the circuits to my entire house and used only the dedicated 20 amp circuit and was still getting the hum, albeit at a lower decibel. I guess it’s the interaction of all the difference ground potential of the various components. So I decided to just plug everything into the Furman ref 20, one by one. It turns out that even the modem switch needed to be plugged into the Furman, otherwise the ethernet plug would cause a really loud hum when connected to the media player (which connects to the Pacific via USB). In the end, with all my components connected I am pleased to report the hum gremlin has been banished and Im back at enjoying Justin Bieber crooning sweet nothings In the background. So there you have it, Furman ref 20, its amazing at forget all the the rest. Now I await the M2’s arrival. Thank you all for coming to my rescue and I apologize for any unintended brand bashing. I love my Lampizator, there you have I said it. All the best and stay healthy.

Congratulations, although I would have thought that with Justin Bieber, distinguishing hum from his natural timbre would have been difficult! Kudos!

Reactions: DoctorWhy

Redphu

Sep 24, 2018
Congratulations, although I would have thought that with Justin Bieber, distinguishing hum from his natural timbre would have been difficult! Kudos!
Don’t you dare!!!! Lol. I’m a happy camper.

On a serious note, just learned that Trump will be instituting the “Staffird Act” which means a two week mandatory quarantine nation wide. Wish everyone well and look out for each other.

Reactions: howiebrou

Tango

VIP/Donor
Mar 12, 2017
Bangkok
I am sorry. What is Furman.

Redphu

Sep 24, 2018
It’s tricky to speak on dynamics and overall improvements because both the Dac and the preamp were upgraded at the same time and then the ground loop happened. I didn’t have a chance for a critical listening session because of the nasty hum when both components were added. So I don’t know how much of an impact the Furman has on the overall sound, but Im definitely getting greater overall dynamics. Even the bass is more defined and tight without my sub being plugged in. Hope this helps.

marty

Apr 20, 2010
United States
I am sorry. What is Furman.

https://www.furmanpower.com/product/discrete-symmetrical-power-filter-20-amp-IT-REF 20I

Tang
There are many products in the Furman line. The ones commonly discussed in the forum are the isolation transformer-based "balanced power" units. These can be very effective in eliminating common mode noise that may cause 60 Hz hum. There are several well-known brands of isolation transformer devices that provide balanced power such as the Torus, Equi-tech, and Audioquest Niagra. The Furman was actually designed by the same man who designed the Audioquest Niagra, but it is not considered a typical "audiophile" product, whatever that means. Rather, it is commonly used to provide clean AC power in recording and engineering studios world-wide as a professional instrument that is effective and is about half the cost of the so called "audiophile" equivalents. As you have no doubt read, several of us use balanced power for their gear to eliminate 60Hz hum as well as to provide what is often "cleaner AC power" for their systems. The literature on balanced power and its potential benefits on the Furman site is very informative, but that is true on almost every site that offers isolation transformer-based balanced power units.

From my perspective, these devices can have their benefits but there is no panacea as some folks feel that they prefer the sound of their systems without such devices. There is no free lunch here. Whether they are devlces that you prefer is something one can know only after assessing its performance in a given system. A good rule of thumb is- if you don't need, or don't hear a benefit, don't use it. However, if you have a problem such as 60 Hz hum, you may wish to try one of these units as they can be very helpful in eliminating hum so the overall sound is significantly more beneficial than without it.
Hope that helps
Marty

Last edited:

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing