Anyone have Sound Lab electrostatic speakers? I Searched...

I’m listening right now to a pair of Quad 2805s driven by Mola Mola electronics ( the Makua preamp feeding the Kaluga mono blocs). The Kalugas are Brian Putzey’s class D design originally when he worked for the electronics giant Philips. It might be related to Hypex. They sound very nice indeed, but for my larger 2905s, I much prefer a pair of Audio Research Ref 210 mono blocs. These behemoths produce a creamy midrange that I haven’t found any solid state amp (class D or A/B) capable of producing. Quads have high impedances in the bass (around 60 ohms). Garden variety solid state amps just sound anemic given that impedance. The best I found is a pair of D-Sonic class D amps that produce 1500 watts per channel. These have enough power to make the bass sound fine but their midrange leaves a lot to be desired.

The MA-1s weigh only about 36 pounds each. If you do try to play them, they will need some time to wake up from sitting so long; a day or two running prior to making any serious comparisons. Keep in mind that the settings on the rear of the speaker are quite a bit different from those that work right with the Pass Labs.
Yes, I know, I have a pair of 3.1 Improveds; the 100-pounders I mentioned are the SS amps in the way. And perhaps after I'm rid of a couple-more pairs of those 100-pounders, I will try the '1's.
The Sound Labs have a 30 Ohm peak in the bass that has nothing to do with resonance. This prevents solid state amps making power on the speaker. That's why tube amps, in particular higher power OTLs like the MA-1 can do so well on them. You need a 600 Watt solid state amp to keep up with the MA-1s on that speaker due to the impedance.

Last edited:
My limited experience with PL amps is that each model has its own unique sonic signature. Don't believe there is a PL "house sound" per se.

My general impression is that Nelson Pass designs tend to a bit on the fast lean side compared to other solid state designers (e.g., Dan Dagastino, or Mark Levinson ) that sound warmer. But it’s entirely system dependent. In the right setup it could be exactly what’s needed. I used a monster Krell 700cx 200 pound amp to drive a pair of B&W 800s for several years. They certainly woke up that behemoth of a speaker. They worked well on a pair of Magnepan 3.6Rs. Maggies are incredibly inefficient and need as much power as you can pump into them. Somewhat late in life I discovered the joys of horn loudspeakers. My La Scalas are happy with 1 watt of the highest quality SET tube power I can use. My current favorite are Oliver Sayes 421a SET that uses a single Western Electric power tube for both channels. You can’t do that with a Maggie!

The Sound Lab backplates (electronic modules) come boxed separately. Therefore, they are attached wherever the panels will reside with bolts (very easy).

My previous Millennium (M1's) and the newer Majestic 745PX were easier for a 2 man team to carry. In my younger years, my son and I were able to handle them.

For my newer and taller Majestic 845PX's, after my 40-year old son and his friend of the same age setup up the 845's, they said never again! That's not so much because of their weight, but my new ~8' (vs my old ~7' panels) were pretty unwieldy, particularly when they had to flipped over from horizontal to vertical, to get them through a door. It's a balancing act to flip and then carry the panels while filpped. Having 3 or 4 people to help at that point, with the 8-footers is probably prudent.

As you can imagine, the SoundLab crates are quite robust themsevles (read heavy), include the panels inside, and moving them is a chore. Large plastic furniture moving sliders help, if they need to be moved with the panels inside.

Some folks use cones. I believe small glides are supplied by Sound Lab. However, I used: "Herbies Audio Lab GIANT Threaded Stud Gliders". Once assembled, they make moving/placing the speakers an easy one person job.

For the most part, the placement of Sound Lab's is easier than conventional speakers. Because they're line sources, they can be placed within inches of side walls. The most important placement is that they're approx ~4 to 7 feet from the rear wall (behind) the speaker to prevent the backwave from simultaneously reaching the ears close to the same time as the front wave.

More specific information or questions can be posed to the gang at the Sound Lab Owners Group (SLOG).
Hi All, just thought to catch up on what's the best.... just in case anyone wants a visual on setup - it's pretty casual but a few have said it was useful to see:

Another note: I have had packaging redesigns worked out which hopefully will be much better, lighter and cleaner (no white styrofoam that flies in pieces everywhere) The first try will be for moving demo speakers from SL to California Audio Show next month. Photo attached to give an idea ... comments/questions welcome. This design is intended for three heights of speaker G7, G8 and G9. (all same C5 width)

Attachments

• New packing in progress.png
    New packing in progress.png
    974.9 KB · Views: 9
Folks mentioned this ad for a 945PX earlier on this thread. The dimensions look really large. I’m guessing this would require a moving company with several strong people to remove and install this speaker. Not a task for the faint-hearted!

Sorry i meant to send the video to you because I think you might have been the original wondering about how to move and set up? The new packing material however would not apply because I have not yet designed and made for the standard 7 cell width model (which is your 945PX you are referring to.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing