Apogee Diva with Infinite Baffle

Zero000

Jul 28, 2014
Justin, as you know I heard yr 211 amps on the Duettas. They truly sang. Now, whether they would in another room, esp a larger one, maybe, maybe not. But in yr personal situation, the sound wanted for v little.

Thanks Marc. Ked's in BS mode.

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
R

Really? I thought another day's holiday more fun.

Anyway, I was there 2 weeks ago for 4 days.

Amsterdam is very easy to get to from Bristol.

Ok so let's wait and see how easily you get over to listen. You haven't done it in years.

Zero000

Jul 28, 2014
Ok so let's wait and see how easily you get over to listen. You haven't done it in years.

True.

Mind you if I really wanted to I would have done it on the last trip. That doesn't mean I won't. But I don't feel a.massive urge to.

rugyboogie

May 30, 2010
Vancouver, BC
In my attempt to narrow down my choices of new speakers I listened to a set of Soundlab at a local dealer. They were powered by the new Parasound JC-5.
Couldn't tell how the amp was cause the speakers sounded like they had 10 sets of blankets and the left speaker had a crackle on them. The previous weekend listened with a Naim amp but it shut down and wouldn't start back up while I was there.
The JC-5 didn't shut down. Apparently the JC-5 is the latest and replaces the JC-1.

History of amps in my room.
Owned the ML 33, ML 33h and ASR Emitter II Exclusive . Had my Maxx II and
had a tube itch and was able to get a Wyetech Topaz 211 with the Audio Note trannies. The Topaz became the go to amp and after a year started selling off the MLs and the ASR. Topaz worked better and had more authority, better sound stage with the Wilson then did the other 3 SS. 18 watt beat 300.

Which 211 powered amp are/were you using with the Duetta because to this day I still rotate my DarTZeel with the Topaz.

Spoke to Rich of True Sound Works today. Divas will be ready in Feb-March.

BruceD

VIP/Donor
Dec 13, 2013
In my attempt to narrow down my choices of new speakers I listened to a set of Soundlab at a local dealer. They were powered by the new Parasound JC-5.
Couldn't tell how the amp was cause the speakers sounded like they had 10 sets of blankets and the left speaker had a crackle on them. The previous weekend listened with a Naim amp but it shut down and wouldn't start back up while I was there.

Sorry to hear--sadly similar to my tales of woe persevering with Soundlabs:confused:-- the angst just to keep them in full operational mode became too much--mores the pity--I've talked with Dr West and his dedication is commendable to the Hi End ESL fabric.
Of the 3 versions I've owned all have not remained a viable speaker in my systems--as mentioned above spitting /crackling panels/etc
I never tried any with a Naim amp--but the Pristines I had while putting on a "son et lumière"
would shut down the Gryphon Antelion but not the ElectroR A75-ha!

A superb Speaker but still with the ESL Curse.

Reactions: sefischer1

Zero000

Jul 28, 2014

The mono on the far right. Loaded with NOS Amperex 211, and excellent 211. Better than KR when compared against it, and better than GE, RCA, cheap Chinese etc.

You cannot buy them anymore. Austria Analogue 211 PSE. They can output 170 Watts peak, and I believe it, as otherwise they wouldn't drive my Duetta Interstellas as well as they do.

Whilst they won't go quite as loud as half a Kilowatt of SS, they get pretty close. The last few hundred Watts really don't add much to volume output.

Zero000

Jul 28, 2014
Sorry to hear--sadly similar to my tales of woe persevering with Soundlabs:confused:-- the angst just to keep them in full operational mode became too much--mores the pity--I've talked with Dr West and his dedication is commendable to the Hi End ESL fabric.
Of the 3 versions I've owned all have not remained a viable speaker in my systems--as mentioned above spitting /crackling panels/etc
I never tried any with a Naim amp--but the Pristines I had while putting on a "son et lumière"
would shut down the Gryphon Antelion but not the ElectroR A75-ha!

A superb Speaker but still with the ESL Curse.

All panels need maintenance. They fail. Full stop. It's a running expense you have to factor in.

christoph

Dec 11, 2015
Principality of Liechtenstein
But I don't feel a.massive urge to.
I don't feel any urge but I'm curious and interested, so I use any chance to listen to different stuff and to widen my horizon ;)

christoph

Dec 11, 2015
The Topaz became the go to amp and after a year started selling off the MLs and the ASR. Topaz worked better and had more authority, better sound stage with the Wilson then did the other 3 SS. 18 watt beat 300.

In my case, 30 Watts beat 1000 Watts, easily :p

Which 211 powered amp are/were you using with the Duetta because to this day I still rotate my DarTZeel with the Topaz.
The Dartz could work on the Divas but I would NOT get rid of the Topaz ;)

Spoke to Rich of True Sound Works today. Divas will be ready in Feb-March.
Congrats on the incoming Rich-ed Divas :cool:
The Divas should work with a very good Tube amp. I would prefer tubes over SS on the Divas :)
So defo no FullRanges, pity :oops:
Whereas the FRs probably won't be able to be Tube amp driven :(

christoph

Dec 11, 2015
Austria Analogue 211 PSE. They can output 170 Watts peak, and I believe it, as otherwise they wouldn't drive my Duetta Interstellas as well as they do.

Then they can NOT be in Class A1 mode.
The Audio Note Kagura is a PSE 211 design and they say it puts out 50 watts in Class A1.

Are you sure your amp is PSE and not PP?
Or Class A2 and not Class A1?

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
Already heard the Kagura with divas and Kondo m1000. You need more power. Like real drive and power

Zero000

Jul 28, 2014
Then they can NOT be in Class A1 mode.
The Audio Note Kagura is a PSE 211 design and they say it puts out 50 watts in Class A1.

Are you sure your amp is PSE and not PP?
Or Class A2 and not Class A1?

The name causes confusion. It's push pull. A1 to 35 Watts I believe.

Reactions: christoph

Zero000

Jul 28, 2014
I don't feel any urge but I'm curious and interested, so I use any chance to listen to different stuff and to widen my horizon ;)

Well, yes Christoph. I must have done loads of reports of different kits all over the web...

I'd rather Henk had Full Range running than Grand TBH. Not too interested in the Grand.

christoph

Dec 11, 2015
Already heard the Kagura with divas and Kondo m1000. You need more power. Like real drive and power
Ked, not everybody listens most of the time to all-in full orchestra mayhem like you or mostly to Dance-House-Goa-Electronica.
It really depends on what Music rugyboogie listens to mostly, where his Musical Focus lies.

christoph

Dec 11, 2015
Well, yes Christoph. I must have done loads of reports of different kits all over the web...
I'd rather Henk had Full Range running than Grand TBH. Not too interested in the Grand.

I know you did a LOT of amp shoot-outs. Your amps with the misleading name must be VERY good :cool:

The Grands are not for all.
Alone due to their rarity, price and extreme complexity.
The FR on the other hand could be brutal :)

Last edited:

Tango

VIP/Donor
Mar 12, 2017
Bangkok

You heard the Kondo not the Audio Note.

Ked, not everybody listens most of the time to all-in full orchestra mayhem like you or mostly to Dance-House-Goa-Electronica.
It really depends on what Music rugyboogie listens to mostly, where his Musical Focus lies.

When he was at my place, he didnt listen very loud. My secretary in front of my room wasnt annoyed.

Tang

Reactions: christoph

Tango

VIP/Donor
Mar 12, 2017
Bangkok
Hmmm, that's not the way I remember it when he visited me! ;)

Funny video.

I think MikeL has 11 on his volume knob too. :p

Kind regards,
Tang

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
On horns, it is easy to listen loud without listening loud. At Tang's, or when I listen to the universum, I can listen six hours without pressure on the ear.

Power is not required to only play orchestral at loud levels. Current, power, is required for drive and headroom, which manifests also in rise and fall of notes, in the quieter passages of orchestra. This is easily doable in horns with low output valve amps. There is also a difference between macro dynamic slams and dynamic range.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing