bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
Funny video.

I think MikeL has 11 on his volume knob too. :p

Kind regards,
Tang

Actually, he has such a low noise floor and so much headroom he hardly has to turn the volume up from mute

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
Tang, there is no audio note kagura. The audio note Japan kagura is the Kondo kagura and is a 211

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
Well, yes Christoph. I must have done loads of reports of different kits all over the web...

I'd rather Henk had Full Range running than Grand TBH. Not too interested in the Grand.

Yes, your loads of reports over the web entitle you to pass that judgement from the confines of a place from where you can get to Henk's easily

Zero000

Jul 28, 2014
Yes, your loads of reports over the web entitle you to pass that judgement from the confines of a place from where you can get to Henk's easily

Exactly. To hear a speaker I am not interest in. I don't like its design, likely price or complexity. If it sounded like God I still wouldn't be interested.

As ever, when you own a system Ked, we'll take you more seriously.

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
Exactly. To hear a speaker I am not interest in. I don't like its design, likely price or complexity. If it sounded like God I still wouldn't be interested.

As ever, when you own a system Ked, we'll take you more seriously.

As ever, when you listen to a quality system Justin we will take you more seriously. Both systems I owned sounded way better than yours. Though I am humble enough to admit I couldn't learn much from them

sefischer1

Aug 10, 2018
Southern California
A.Luxman might be better than most. Anyone wanna bring one round?;)
I had a pair of Luxman M800a amps on my CLX panels. Didn't like them bridged, loved them in standard config. Ended up using a single stereo amp for the pair of CLX. Very good and a toss up against a Pass XA 60.5 or 100.8 pair.

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
I had a pair of Luxman M800a amps on my CLX panels. Didn't like them bridged, loved them in standard config. Ended up using a single stereo amp for the pair of CLX. Very good and a toss up against a Pass XA 60.5 or 100.8 pair.

Luxman 800a were much better than the Ypsilon Aelius in a direct compare with vivid G1, and the m900u better than the viola symphony on YG Hailey and the smaller tad floor standers. Imo they are the best value of the SS amps, it takes a lot of dough to jump over them, especially in the EU where they are cheaper than in the US. I have been telling Justin to get an used pair, buggy he keeps quoting his experiences with parasound and others and comparing it to his 211s

sefischer1

Aug 10, 2018
Southern California
Sorry to hear--sadly similar to my tales of woe persevering with Soundlabs:confused:-- the angst just to keep them in full operational mode became too much--mores the pity--I've talked with Dr West and his dedication is commendable to the Hi End ESL fabric.
Of the 3 versions I've owned all have not remained a viable speaker in my systems--as mentioned above spitting /crackling panels/etc
I never tried any with a Naim amp--but the Pristines I had while putting on a "son et lumière"
would shut down the Gryphon Antelion but not the ElectroR A75-ha!

A superb Speaker but still with the ESL Curse.
Thanks for the insight. This dispels me of any desire to own them and reminds me of the problems with old Audiostatic ESLs back in the 80s when I worked for Hoffman's Stereo in Cleveland, OH. My old ReQuests would softly squeal some weeks after vacuuming the panels, my CLXs, on the other hand, have been trouble free for many years.

Reactions: BruceD

Zero000

Jul 28, 2014
As ever, when you listen to a quality system Justin we will take you more seriously. Both systems I owned sounded way better than yours. Though I am humble enough to admit I couldn't learn much from them

I'm smiling.

BruceD

VIP/Donor
Dec 13, 2013
Thanks for the insight. This dispels me of any desire to own them and reminds me of the problems with old Audiostatic ESLs back in the 80s when I worked for Hoffman's Stereo in Cleveland, OH. My old ReQuests would softly squeal some weeks after vacuuming the panels, my CLXs, on the other hand, have been trouble free for many years.

Ah yes the Dutch Audiostatics--I've heard them at UK shows--Sounded Ok, but offered nothing that made me consider a move(I do recall his charming daughter that graced the room though--but not so the Speaker! ;)). I agree the Logans do seem to stand up to testing times tad more than some ESL's--I have two friends with CLXARTs and both sound excellent--one is about to change his for a full restored/rebuilt pair of Divas

I await the summons :p!

BruceD

microstrip

VIP/Donor
May 30, 2010
Portugal
Sorry to hear--sadly similar to my tales of woe persevering with Soundlabs:confused:-- the angst just to keep them in full operational mode became too much--mores the pity--I've talked with Dr West and his dedication is commendable to the Hi End ESL fabric.
Of the 3 versions I've owned all have not remained a viable speaker in my systems--as mentioned above spitting /crackling panels/etc
I never tried any with a Naim amp--but the Pristines I had while putting on a "son et lumière"
would shut down the Gryphon Antelion but not the ElectroR A75-ha!

A superb Speaker but still with the ESL Curse.

As far as I remember SoundLab went through a tragic phase in the early 2000's - they changed the mylar coating and stator insulation for new materials that had poor stability along time, and many people had breakdown problems with them. Reliability become very poor, many people moved to other brands. Only a few years later new formulations of the coating using modern sputtering techniques and better insulated stators solved these issues. I have owned them since 2006 (PX version) and as I live far away from the factory I keep a pair of extra panels as spares - they were never needed, the originals are still performing perfectly. A good friend owning similar age non PX A1's only had problems when he moved house - the movers violently dropped the speaker tearing the diaphragm. Repairing SoundLab panels is the US is not expensive at all - we europeans pay lot more for shipping and taxes than for the SoundLab service.

BTW1, SoundLab's had many upgrades along the years - besides much improved sound quality they are now much more efficient and robust. I think that the only original part in my late 90's A1 is the beautiful wood frame!

BTW2 - please remember I do not listen to electronic music or heavy rock at very loud levels.

Last edited:
Reactions: BruceD

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
Ah yes the Dutch Audiostatics--I've heard them at UK shows--Sounded Ok, but offered nothing that made me consider a move(I do recall his charming daughter that graced the room though--but not so the Speaker! ;)). I agree the Logans do seem to stand up to testing times tad more than some ESL's--I have two friends with CLXARTs and both sound excellent--one is about to change his for a full restored/rebuilt pair of Divas

I await the summons :p!

BruceD

Has he heard the pair of divas, and if so, with which amp?

BruceD

VIP/Donor
Dec 13, 2013
Has he heard the pair of divas, and if so, with which amp?

HI Ked, Not as far as I understand in his system --but auditioned similar updated pair at a friends with ARC Amps but I don't know the models.

I have not pushed how he obtained the ones he has

undergoing the rebirth --I'll also reserve judgment until I've heard them with his system(All Analogue)--and hopefully fill in the gaps:)

I do understand he was offered Scintillas but preferred the Divas as they will be 5 Ohm and not the 1 Ohm of the S's

The last Divas I heard were at a private house in Wimbledon 1988

so my memory little sketchy-but I think they were Bi Amped with big Krells.

BruceD

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
The scintillas are so much better, but I understand people being turned off by the 1 ohm. So they think they will do 4 ohms and under drive them

christoph

Dec 11, 2015
Principality of Liechtenstein
one is about to change his for a full restored/rebuilt pair of Divas
Do you know who did the refurb on them and what was done?
What amps does your friend have atm?

cjfrbw

Apr 20, 2010
Pleasanton, CA
I remember the days from the Apogee board, Divas had a reputation for being perhaps the most finicky of the Ap's, but possibly one of the most rewarding when the setup and amps were right.

Zero000

Jul 28, 2014
HI Ked, Not as far as I understand in his system --but auditioned similar updated pair at a friends with ARC Amps but I don't know the models.

I have not pushed how he obtained the ones he has

undergoing the rebirth --I'll also reserve judgment until I've heard them with his system(All Analogue)--and hopefully fill in the gaps:)

I do understand he was offered Scintillas but preferred the Divas as they will be 5 Ohm and not the 1 Ohm of the S's

The last Divas I heard were at a private house in Wimbledon 1988

so my memory little sketchy-but I think they were Bi Amped with big Krells.

BruceD

Is this Ian?

BruceD

VIP/Donor
Dec 13, 2013
Do you know who did the refurb on them and what was done?
What amps does your friend have atm?

I have not had that confirmed as yet--like I stated previous he is a very private person and and when he informs me the Speakers are in house

I will report the findings here--whether Pictures or location can be divulged will be up to him at the time.

He has Ayon 400W KT150 Monos.

BruceD

Reactions: christoph

christoph

Dec 11, 2015
Principality of Liechtenstein
I remember the days from the Apogee board, Divas had a reputation for being perhaps the most finicky of the Ap's, but possibly one of the most rewarding when the setup and amps were right.
I heard 2 (or 3?) different pairs of Divas but didn't really warm up to them :oops:
I would like to listen to a recently refurbished pair with proper amplfication, though

Last edited:
Reactions: bonzo75

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing