AQ Jitterbug Measurements

amirm

Banned
Apr 2, 2010
Seattle, WA
Measurements of the Regen w. SMPS as well as w. LPS done here (JohnW) - - > http://www.pinkfishmedia.net/forum/showthread.php?t=176975&page=83
Thanks. This is really, really strange. I had not realized that it came with a switchmode power supply. It is such a large brick I thought for sure it was linear:

In a brick that big, surely you could put in a linear power supply especially for a device like this which aims to reduce PC noise. Now it is injecting its own outside of the PC??? Makes no sense. Kudos to James for measuring it.

That said, his measurements are at the power line, not the output of the DAC. Will be interesting to see how much of that bleeds into downstream devices.

Fitzcaraldo215

Nov 3, 2014
There's a seach feature on ComputerAudiophile...

Yes, of course. So, what is it exactly I should be searching for? I find nothing relevant under "Swenson, measurement, Regen" or variations of that. Nothing also at the Uptone site.

Last edited:

Mike Lavigne

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
Apr 25, 2010
the LPS Uptone Audio designed for eliminating the stock SMPS power supply for the Regens is the JS-2 .

I have 2 Regens and my JS-2 is scheduled to ship to me on September 30th. there is a back order to get on the list to buy one.

Andre Marc

Member Sponsor
Mar 14, 2012
San Diego
www.avrev.com
the LPS Uptone Audio designed for eliminating the stock SMPS power supply for the Regens is the JS-2 .

I have 2 Regens and my JS-2 is scheduled to ship to me on September 30th. there is a back order to get on the list to buy one.

Hi Mike:

I am almost positive the JS-2 was actually designed for use with the Mac Mini or similar.

Here is what they actually admit about the JS-2 with respect to the JS-2 and the REGEN:

"While it is true that our own JS-2 LPS makes a slight improvement for the REGEN, it is not a large difference and the REGEN sounds GREAT with just the selected stock supply."

Alex told me as a consumer, at $925 for the XPS, he would def. not see that pairing as cost effective. HOWEVER...I absolutely want to hear about what performance levels you are getting and
I admire you going the extra mile.

YashN

Jun 28, 2015
Canada
Yes, of course. So, what is it exactly I should be searching for? I find nothing relevant under "Swenson, measurement, Regen" or variations of that. Nothing also at the Uptone site.

It might be easier to head for John's profile and find his posts. It woud be a few posts back, perhaps a few weeks old, but not a large number of posts back.

In it, he talks about how he will need to build additional tools to allow proper measurements to be made.

Mike Lavigne

Apr 25, 2010
Hi Mike:

I am almost positive the JS-2 was actually designed for use with the Mac Mini or similar.

Here is what they actually admit about the JS-2 with respect to the JS-2 and the REGEN:

"While it is true that our own JS-2 LPS makes a slight improvement for the REGEN, it is not a large difference and the REGEN sounds GREAT with just the selected stock supply."

Alex told me as a consumer, at $925 for the XPS, he would def. not see that pairing as cost effective. HOWEVER...I absolutely want to hear about what performance levels you are getting and
I admire you going the extra mile.

I get different feedback regarding the JS-2-Regen pairing from 'others'. the total effect of any tweak is context related. at the top of the performance food chain small steps is all that is left to do. and eliminating every SMPS in the CPU seems like a worthy goal.

but the proof will be in whether I hear something significant. in the context of my investment in the CAPS v4 Pipeline, Teradak ATX LPS, and the Trinity dac + whichever dsd dac I end up with it makes sense.

Andre Marc

Member Sponsor
Mar 14, 2012
San Diego
www.avrev.com
I get different feedback regarding the JS-2-Regen pairing from 'others'. the total effect of any tweak is context related. at the top of the performance food chain small steps is all that is left to do. and eliminating every SMPS in the CPU seems like a worthy goal.

but the proof will be in whether I hear something significant. in the context of my investment in the CAPS v4 Pipeline, Teradak ATX LPS, and the Trinity dac + whichever dsd dac I end up with it makes sense.
I hear you , I was just communicating what UpTone them selves said, and I assure Alex has a very impressive system himself where he does testing.

I am sure they have no issue selling you a JS-2, and to tell you the truth I think the supply they chose was a mistake..very kludgey, and difficult to have sit elegantly in the system..it's an eye sore.

YashN

Jun 28, 2015
Canada

You'll most probably get very good results with any equipment with a generic SMPS power supply: although the JS-2 may have been extensively used with Mac Minis, it is useful for any equipment that can use its supplied voltages.

The design was done very carefully. There was an initial much smaller but similar design by John years ago to strongly improve the Squeezebox devices. The JS-2 goes much further.

One of the things it deals with that people often do not think about is the noise re-injected back into the mains by the equipment you're powering.

There are a few things you can do for the Regen concerning power:

1. Use a better linear PSU for it than the stock Meanwell SMPS one
2. Use the stock PSU and combine it with an Sbooster adapter upgrade (third party)
3. Use the JS-2 PSU
4. Wait for one or two upcoming PSUs from Uptone (a couple of months or so if I remember correctly)
5. Build your own linear PSU + perhaps a John Linsley Hood Ripple Eater

Not sure if iFi's radically low-noise SMPS power supply is compatible with the Regen, but it it were, I would try it too.

Andre Marc

Member Sponsor
Mar 14, 2012
San Diego
www.avrev.com
You'll most probably get very good results with any equipment with a generic SMPS power supply: although the JS-2 may have been extensively used with Mac Minis, it is useful for any equipment that can use its supplied voltages.

The design was done very carefully. There was an initial much smaller but similar design by John years ago to strongly improve the Squeezebox devices. The JS-2 goes much further.

One of the things it deals with that people often do not think about is the noise re-injected back into the mains by the equipment you're powering.

2. Use the stock PSU and combine it with an Sbooster adapter upgrade (third party)
3. Use the JS-2 PSU
4. Wait for one or two upcoming PSUs from Uptone (a couple of months or so if I remember correctly)

Not sure if iFi's radically low-noise SMPS power supply is compatible with the Regen, but it it were, I would try it too.
I think it is also essential to point out that it is DAC dependent..which power supply will work..does it need the 5V handshake?

EuroDriver

Sep 16, 2015
Monaco
The Sound Galleries Music Server will have on board a dedicated and optimized LPS for the Regen :)

We had space in the chassis, and there are so few DAC's that don't benefit from having a Regen in the USB chain

Mike Lavigne

Apr 25, 2010

3. Use the JS-2 PSU

thank you for the detailed response.

honestly; i'm way over my head here in terms of having meaningful technical opinions. I am simply following the lead of Elberoth who has my same Trinity dac and same tweaked CAPS v4 CPU and what has worked for him.

OTOH I am qualified to report if I like the addition of the JS-2 and how much I like it; which I will be happy to do.

Fitzcaraldo215

Nov 3, 2014
It might be easier to head for John's profile and find his posts. It woud be a few posts back, perhaps a few weeks old, but not a large number of posts back.

In it, he talks about how he will need to build additional tools to allow proper measurements to be made.

Yes, well, I have seen similar comments by Swenson before for some time. He is able to see measurements himself, but, unfortunately, he is unable to share them with us due to his aged gear, etc. Ahem, well, perhaps we will all be pleasantly surprised if we just wait patiently. Or, perhaps not, though Uptone promised those measurements, as I indicated many posts ago.

So, in spite of your protest, the situation is still completely unchanged. There is nothing at all new on this subject, as you alleged.

YashN

Jun 28, 2015
Canada
So, in spite of your protest, the situation is still completely unchanged. There is nothing at all new on this subject, as you alleged.

How about you make your own measurements if you're so sure there's nothing new?

Orb

Sep 8, 2010

Yeah he is great to follow on that forum; provided some great engineering information both from project and technical perspective when developing the MDAC (and experience-challenges with the ESSTech Sabre chip, designing the digitial filters,power supply-output stages, etc), now this project.
One to take note of when he makes a point.
Cheers
Orb

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing