Aqua Formula - new upgrade, retrofittable!

KeithR

VIP/Donor
May 7, 2010
Encino, CA
The Terminator is just another dac of the month piece that will be worth nothing in 2 years. I think you deserve better Marc if you've waited this long.

FYI- I've heard the Formula and its def tube like in several aspects. I wouldn't say it's tonally thin at all. That said, I think it might be geared more for jazz and vocal listeners and ultimately wasn't for me.

spiritofmusic

Jun 13, 2013
E. England
Keith, I'm not in this game now yo keep upgrading.
If it is a "dac of the month", it's a bargain at £4K, and it'll be a keeper.
My Eera was prob a "cdp of the month" in 2010, yet in 2017 I'm still pleased as punch with it.
For me the Terminator if it checks out gives me a one stop solution with Zenith to streaming at not stupid outlay.
And with my room and grid so expressive, I'll know straight away.

KeithR

VIP/Donor
May 7, 2010
Encino, CA
Keith, I'm not in this game now yo keep upgrading.
If it is a "dac of the month", it's a bargain at £4K, and it'll be a keeper.
My Eera was prob a "cdp of the month" in 2010, yet in 2017 I'm still pleased as punch with it.
For me the Terminator if it checks out gives me a one stop solution with Zenith to streaming at not stupid outlay.
And with my room and grid so expressive, I'll know straight away.

Then it makes more sense to at least get a dac that is fully upgradeable.

spiritofmusic

Jun 13, 2013
E. England
This is a new one.
What's an upgradeable dac?

Hifi Boy

Sep 16, 2017
This is a new one.
What's an upgradeable dac?
PS Audio DirectStream is FPGA based for example and I believe the Terminator is as well.

You just download the new version of the OS and it re-programs the FPGA to (ideally) be better than it used to be. Also some DACs allow you to swap certain internal components. For example PS Audio DirectStream lets you insert the new so called Bridge II adapter and will then let you stream Tidal directly and also fully decode MQA. :D

Formula is upgradable in the same way I believe.
But, I'm not sure about the FPGA upgrades.

sbfx

Mar 23, 2017
Has anyone got the update done?

If so please can they share their opinion on the SQ change.

EuroDriver

Sep 16, 2015
Monaco
Has anyone got the update done?

If so please can they share their opinion on the SQ change.

We got back our Formula with the XHD upgrade 2 days ago

We tested SGM >Roon > HQP Player to Formula XHD with Lush USB cable to Bespoke TVC > VTL Monoblocks > Kef Blades

The Formula XHD was sitting on our latest most tricked out anti vibration platform

We ran our test tracks converted to 24 / 708 KHz and converted to DSD 256 (DOP)

The results were very impressive to our ears. We also transferred bit perfect 16/44

Our takeaways after 4 hours of testing after 18 hours of burn-in

- 16/44 playback definitely very competitive

- 24/708 PCM up sampling - lots of detail very well done, great precision. The sound reminds me of the Chord Dave when being fed 24/708

- DSD 256 upsampling. Compared to the 24/708 a huge leap in tonal richness and harmonic body. The texture of the voices and instruments are at a level that I have not heard before. Some might criticize the harmonic body as "euphonics" but for me it makes the performance extremely enjoyable. Trumpets to die for

On old well worn test tracks, new things I have never heard. The amount of information, sound stage size, depth, ambiance simply amazing

So definitely worth an audition, definitely a DAC that goes a long way further with the best upsampling you can muster

spiritofmusic

Jun 13, 2013
E. England
Hi Ed.
I’ve made a request via Sablon Audio/Mark for you to listen to this updated Formula on single ended as well as balanced.
All I need to know is whether the positives you’re hearing is equally apparent on RCA Out, or whether performance is compromised by not going XLR Out.
You’ll do me a big favour providing perspective to me on XLR v RCA, thanks.

sbo6

VIP/Donor
May 18, 2014
Round Rock, TX
Thanks for the update on the upgrade. When funds allow sounds like I'll move forward.

Also, I believe Mike said when he had the Aqua that it sounded better with XLR vs RCAs.

spiritofmusic

Jun 13, 2013
E. England
My q is not so much whether balanced is better.
I gather the vast majority of, if not all, dacs sound better balanced.
It’s whether single ended is decidedly worse, and loses any performance superiority the dac has.

sbo6

VIP/Donor
May 18, 2014
Round Rock, TX
It’s whether single ended is decidedly worse, and loses any performance superiority the dac has.

For any component, balanced isn't always better, it depends on the designers' choice of implementation and preference toward sonic quality. I'm sure budget may also play a role for lower cost components.

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London

Hyperbole police, please

sbo6

VIP/Donor
May 18, 2014
Round Rock, TX

sbfx

Mar 23, 2017
We got back our Formula with the XHD upgrade 2 days ago

We tested SGM >Roon > HQP Player to Formula XHD with Lush USB cable to Bespoke TVC > VTL Monoblocks > Kef Blades

The Formula XHD was sitting on our latest most tricked out anti vibration platform

We ran our test tracks converted to 24 / 708 KHz and converted to DSD 256 (DOP)

The results were very impressive to our ears. We also transferred bit perfect 16/44

Our takeaways after 4 hours of testing after 18 hours of burn-in

- 16/44 playback definitely very competitive

- 24/708 PCM up sampling - lots of detail very well done, great precision. The sound reminds me of the Chord Dave when being fed 24/708

- DSD 256 upsampling. Compared to the 24/708 a huge leap in tonal richness and harmonic body. The texture of the voices and instruments are at a level that I have not heard before. Some might criticize the harmonic body as "euphonics" but for me it makes the performance extremely enjoyable. Trumpets to die for

On old well worn test tracks, new things I have never heard. The amount of information, sound stage size, depth, ambiance simply amazing

So definitely worth an audition, definitely a DAC that goes a long way further with the best upsampling you can muster

I primarily listen to the CDT i.e. Diva. I Seldom use the computer for listening.

Would you think its worth upgrading then?

Mike Lavigne

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
Apr 25, 2010
I primarily listen to the CDT i.e. Diva. I Seldom use the computer for listening.

Would you think its worth upgrading then?

I owned the Aqua La Diva CD transport with my Formula dac. I could not recommend that transport more highly. great performer; and the transport remote also works with the dac for input switching. I still have a nice Sablon I2s cable I used which sounded great. the Formula/La Diva pairing has to be a great bang for the buck set up....for a CD spinner.....that also does the highest rez of PCM and DSD superbly.

spiritofmusic

Jun 13, 2013
E. England
Hmm, not getting the hyperbole comment tbh.
I thought my q was a pretty low key one.

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
Anyone had the chance to compare Aqua Formula xHD to Lampi GG?

Mike moved from GG to Aqua Formula, and Shakti found that Big 7 > Aqua > GG (before upgrades). I don't think anyone has compared xHD

sbo6

VIP/Donor
May 18, 2014
Round Rock, TX
Mike moved from GG to Aqua Formula, and Shakti found that Big 7 > Aqua > GG (before upgrades). I don't think anyone has compared xHD

Wow, the GG is $20k+ USD. Separate thought but has anyone compared the Lampizator Pacific to MSB or TotalDAC 12?

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing