Arya Audio AirBlades

spiritofmusic

Jun 13, 2013
E. England
Thanks for the feedback Howie. Your data-point was very valuable to me, since it absolutely backed up my impressions from the trial.

Reactions: howiebrou

howiebrou

Jun 29, 2012
Thanks for the feedback Howie. Your data-point was very valuable to me, since it absolutely backed up my impressions from the trial.
Glad it helped. To be honest they are not cheap, but they certainly a cheaper upgrade than changing lots of cables, amps, or even speakers.

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
I am very impressed by what even the standard version of airblades did at home. The effect, to me, was not dramatic until you disconnect them and the music seems to lose a bit of life and become thin. With them on the sound fills the room. It's hard to describe but the effect was significant and importantly to me it didn't really alter the sound signature of the speakers i was trying them with (Westminsters). Marc has gone straight to the top of the tree. I might be on the look out for a used standard pair to see how well they pair up with the AN/E speakers.

Interesting. You might tempt me to finally listen to Marc's system

• Haha
Reactions: XV-1 and howiebrou

spiritofmusic

Jun 13, 2013
E. England
Hmm, temptation comes before a fall (into our creek).
Just sayin'.

• Haha
Reactions: Lagonda and rando

spiritofmusic

Jun 13, 2013
E. England
I think it would be worth it simply to assess the benefit of the airblades, if nothing else!
Not necessary. I've already assessed and come to my very happy conclusion.

spiritofmusic

Jun 13, 2013
E. England
Maybe when Ked releases his Saskia v NVS v CS Port video compares?

Reactions: PeterA

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
Great. Go with your phone and make a video for the rest of us. A with and without comparison would be fantastic.

i don’t think I will do it with Marc in the room, so will only be without

spiritofmusic

Jun 13, 2013
E. England
No Ked, my presence deals with a particularly nasty bass node and standing wave. Whether you'll ruin the perfect acoustics, that's another matter.

tima

Industry Expert
Mar 3, 2014
the Upper Midwest
I'll try again as arya audio didn't answer my questions...

Is the Airblade reproducing something on the recording that the Zu is not? ... or, is it a pleasant additive effect? Can anyone say how it sounds on its own?

spiritofmusic

Jun 13, 2013
E. England
Tim, I believe it can be used on its own as a driver over that whole 1k to 20k range.
It's very hard for me to say what exactly it's doing despite me listening to it for hours solid now into my second week.
From my discussions w Arthur, the USP is the 180° dispersion, and as Brad has pointed out, ribbon-like uber transparency.
That wider dispersion seems to be working to both beef up imaging and staging, and the transparency and Mercury-like agility seems to be revealing greater detail, air and shimmer.
Yet *not in any way* feel like an add-on or Elastoplast, or feel clunky or obviously present.
Seamless, invisible and the very definition of holistic.

spiritofmusic

Jun 13, 2013
E. England
I'm minded to think there are some acoustics tricks going on, in the interaction of the whole package w my room. How can a tweeter add-on have led to me altering my subs settings significantly? My bass is now deeper, but also faster and more start/stop.
This, plus the more obvious benefits higher up the frequency range, is absolutely nailing more realism here.

Reactions: emoonie

Ron Resnick

Site Co-Owner, Administrator
Jan 24, 2015
Beverly Hills, CA
How can a tweeter add-on have led to me altering my subs settings significantly? My bass is now deeper, but also faster and more start/stop.

Yeahhh, that does not make any sense to me. But if you are happy, then I am happy for you!

Reactions: PeterA

spiritofmusic

Jun 13, 2013
E. England
Ron, if you think higher frequency reproduction/interaction with room has no bearing on lower frequencies, I think you may be wrong. I'm not saying that's precisely happening here, but it could be.

Reactions: Ron Resnick

tima

Industry Expert
Mar 3, 2014
the Upper Midwest
Presumably you adjusted the subs with the Zus. Add another speaker/tweeter and the tonal/frequency balance changes. Adjust the subs again. It would be surprising if you did not have to adjust.

It would be an interesting experiment to play them by themselves to learn what you hear.

Ron Resnick

Site Co-Owner, Administrator
Jan 24, 2015
Beverly Hills, CA
Ron, if you think higher frequency reproduction/interaction with room has no bearing on lower frequencies, I think you may be wrong. I'm not saying that's precisely happening here, but it could be.

I totally understand the tonal balance could change. Sorry; I should have been more specific -- I was puzzled about "also faster and more start/stop."

cjfrbw

Apr 20, 2010
Pleasanton, CA
higher frequency reproduction/interaction with room has no bearing on lower frequencies,
There is a mysterious psychoacoustic relationship between high and low frequencies in terms of enhancing each other. It has been commented on for many years on many forums that exquisite tweeters will also enhance the perception of bass and subjective sense of 'speed'. I have never heard any good theories as to why except for the subjective impression itself.

Reactions: emoonie

spiritofmusic

Jun 13, 2013
E. England
I totally understand the tonal balance could change. Sorry; I should have been more specific -- I was puzzled about "also faster and more start/stop."
Faster and start/stop are kinda interchangeable, or certainly you can't have one without the other. So yes, my phraseology somewhat confusing.

spiritofmusic

Jun 13, 2013
E. England
There is a mysterious psychoacoustic relationship between high and low frequencies in terms of enhancing each other. It has been commented on for many years on many forums that exquisite tweeters will also enhance the perception of bass and subjective sense of 'speed'. I have never heard any good theories as to why except for the subjective impression itself.
Carl, there's no doubt my default subs settings needed to be altered with the introduction of the Airblades, and the bass performance of my system is suitably improved, as is everything above. Whether this is psycho acoustic, or just pure spkrs/room acoustics, I really can't say. But the end result of greater immersion and pure drama is undeniable.
I did once read that "superior" high frequency extension "lubricated" lower harmonics to make bass more intelligible and vibrant. But I believe that was in the realm of supertweeters, not "regular" tweeters like the Airblades.
Maybe the Airblades effect is all contingent on their unusual 180° dispersion.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing